Mesa Dual Rec Rev F Questions

LPMojoGL

Hey there,

How much is an early 93 with the MkIII tranny is worth? The prices on Reverb seem overly optimistic. What issues should I look for when checking out to purchase?
Any hints, tips, tricks to setting it up and getting it to sound it's best?

Thanks,
Bobby

If you want one to have a cool, early version of the Recto, then by all means go for it. But at the prices people seem to be asking now, I’d look for a used Multiwatt, personally. They sound killer, easy to dial in, solid loop, extra channel and modes etc etc.

cardinal":c4gnw6ve said:
If you want one to have a cool, early version of the Recto, then by all means go for it. But at the prices people seem to be asking now, I’d look for a used Multiwatt, personally. They sound killer, easy to dial in, solid loop, extra channel and modes etc etc.

I had and liked the Multi-Watt quite a bit. Great amp.
The interest in this case does have to do with having a an early version in great condition. Just wondering what bottom dollar should be and if they have any know issues. Thanks.

reverymike":3f5uxo7q said:
I sold my 92 Rev F last summer for $1600. I think that's on the high end though.

Wow, that's pretty good. Some folks on Reverb are asking over 2g. Crazy.
Do you ever miss it?

So, if you're patient, I've seen a few come in to GC and they price them at around 1200 tops. They don't last long though, but if you check every day or so you will come across one. I missed out on a Rev F triple a month ago for 1100.

LPMojoGL":yt8y920d said:
reverymike":yt8y920d said:
I sold my 92 Rev F last summer for $1600. I think that's on the high end though.

Do you ever miss it?

Most folks trying to sell on Reverb are morons. It's unreal the prices people list stuff for on there :loco:

I had a guy message me about a Diezel amp I had listed on Reverb saying he felt that he couldn't buy the amp because the price was too low :hys:

He said that since there were several amps of the same model listed for like $800-$1000 higher than my listing, this indicated to him something must be wrong with the one I was selling. I replied explaining the reason the others were listed so high was because most people trying to sell on there have absolutely no friggin clue what they're doing, and that what people are willing to pay and have paid in the past dictates what the going rate is for items, not what some idiot feels it's worth to him/her.

I should have just replied to him, fine then, I'll take the additional $1000 on top of what I'm asking and we'll call it sold then :LOL: :LOL:

Racerxrated":zoc9e1ka said:
So, if you're patient, I've seen a few come in to GC and they price them at around 1200 tops. They don't last long though, but if you check every day or so you will come across one. I missed out on a Rev F triple a month ago for 1100.

Ah man, I hate when that happens! So $1200 is more realistic then.

MetalHeadMike":zoc9e1ka said:
LPMojoGL":zoc9e1ka said:
reverymike":zoc9e1ka said:

Do you ever miss it?

Most folks trying to sell on Reverb are morons. It's unreal the prices people list stuff for on there :loco:

I had a guy message me about a Diezel amp I had listed on Reverb saying he felt that he couldn't buy the amp because the price was too low :hys:

He said that since there were several amps of the same model listed for like $800-$1000 higher than my listing, this indicated to him something must be wrong with the one I was selling. I replied explaining the reason the others were listed so high was because most people trying to sell on there have absolutely no friggin clue what they're doing, and that what people are willing to pay and have paid in the past dictates what the going rate is for items, not what some idiot feels it's worth to him/her.

I should have just replied to him, fine then, I'll take the additional $1000 on top of what I'm asking and we'll call it sold then :LOL: :LOL:

Man, I've encountered so many mentally disturbed people since I started trying different guitar gear. Craigslist has been a source of frustration and entertainment for years now.

LPMojoGL":2ghngd8b said:
Hey there,

How much is an early 93 with the MkIII tranny is worth? The prices on Reverb seem overly optimistic. What issues should I look for when checking out to purchase?

Thanks,
Bobby

Really depends... is it a chrome chassis black grill... or standard black chassis chrome grill? Condition is important... mods/repairs/recapped... many if not most have been modified at some point. Get internal pics and have someone who knows what they are looking at go over them. The MK3 Schumacher OT went well in to the middle of the Rev G range.

... and yes, there are some very overly optimistic sellers there... just as with a lot of used gear.

Wizard of Ozz":pzkitviq said:
LPMojoGL":pzkitviq said:
Hey there,

Thanks,
Bobby

Really depends... is it a chrome chassis black grill... or standard black chassis chrome grill? Condition is important... mods/repairs/recapped... many if not most have been modified at some point. Get internal pics and have someone who knows what they are looking at go over them. The MK3 Schumacher OT went well in to the middle of the Rev G range.

... and yes, there are some very overly optimistic sellers there... just as with a lot of used gear.

Black chassis, chrome grill, great shape, said to be no mods. I'm doubtful, but will see if I can have internal pics sent to me. Thanks man!

LPMojoGL":1j1aspxd said:
Black chassis, chrome grill, great shape, said to be no mods. I'm doubtful, but will see if I can have internal pics sent to me. Thanks man!

If I had a dollar for every time I've been told, "No, it's completely stock, no mods, no repairs!"... BS. Caveat Emptor. Check for bias mods, preamp/power filter caps changed, OT/PT transformer codes, power chords usually need replacing as they wear a lot near the chassis port. And for the chrome chassis, check for rust on the chassis, OT/PT, and jacks. The yellow fx loop light is usually very dim to dead on these, and Mesa no longer stocks the yellow LED for replacement.

:thumbsup:

Wizard of Ozz":3pj0nj6q said:
LPMojoGL":3pj0nj6q said:

If I had a dollar for every time I've been told, "No, it's completely stock, no mods, no repairs!"... BS. Caveat Emptor. Check for bias mods, preamp/power filter caps changed, OT/PT transformer codes, power chords usually need replacing as they wear a lot near the chassis port. And for the chrome chassis, check for rust on the chassis, OT/PT, and jacks. The yellow fx loop light is usually very dim to dead on these, and Mesa no longer stocks the yellow LED for replacement.

:thumbsup:

Awesome, thanks again for the helpful info.

Steve K had (or maybe still has) a super clean one for sale on Reverb. They're worth whatever the price is as they sound incredible. I have a fine example of the Rev F and a Triple Multi-Watt. I can tell you they're definitely different - both are useful in their own way. $1500 or under is worth the money if ask me ;)

UberschallEL34":30pyqcp9 said:
Steve K had (or maybe still has) a super clean one for sale on Reverb. They're worth whatever the price is as they sound incredible. I have a fine example of the Rev F and a Triple Multi-Watt. I can tell you they're definitely different - both are useful in their own way. $1500 or under is worth the money if ask me ;)

Thanks for the heads up. I've watched many of your videos and know we've had some amps in common. The Multi-Watt I had was pretty versatile, with some highly underrated cleans and crunch. The gain channels were bright, if not so tight without some volume and a boost. Didn't really sound like the early 2000s to me though.
We both have the SS100 right now. I really wanna try the Butterslax.
How does your Rev F fit in with your collection? Is it your go-to for anything?

LPMojoGL":2tm4l5uo said:
UberschallEL34":2tm4l5uo said:

Thanks for the heads up. I've watched many of your videos and know we've had some amps in common. The Multi-Watt I had was pretty versatile, with some highly underrated cleans and crunch. The gain channels were bright, if not so tight without some volume and a boost. Didn't really sound like the early 2000s to me though.

I was thinking I'd have to set the Multi-Watt to vintage or raw to sound like the Rev F, but in fact I have to put the red and orange channels of the Triple MW to modern to hang with the aggressiveness of the Rev F, so if I wanna play lots of chugging riffs the Rev F is where it's at - and the Butterslax. More thrash riffs I'd play on the Fryette D120. I EQ the Rectos with my ears not my eyes, and rarely turn the presence past 9:00 - gain on the Triple I rarely run over 12:00 with a boost in front. I'd rate the Rev F up there with some of the best amps I've owned or heard in person.

UberschallEL34":1ep09dct said:
LPMojoGL":1ep09dct said:
UberschallEL34":1ep09dct said:

I was thinking I'd have to set the Multi-Watt to vintage or raw to sound like the Rev F, but in fact I have to put the red and orange channels of the Triple MW to modern to hang with the aggressiveness of the Rev F, so if I wanna play lots of chugging riffs the Rev F is where it's at - and the Butterslax. More thrash riffs I'd play on the Fryette D120. I EQ the Rectos with my ears not my eyes, and rarely turn the presence past 9:00 - gain on the Triple I rarely run over 12:00 with a boost in front. I'd rate the Rev F up there with some of the best amps I've owned or heard in person.

Nice man, now I'm getting excited. Missing an amp for the chugging riffs. I'm supposed to check it out this weekend, and I'm hoping it works out and I come home with it.

chrome chassis was just an option

Attachments

• recto0118.jpg
    recto0118.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,226
LPMojoGL":2wdqda9x said:
reverymike":2wdqda9x said:

Do you ever miss it?

I don't really miss it, but I have other amps that I used more than I ever used the Dual Recto. It did sound amazing on the orange hi gain channel with an EP Booster in front. Magic tone! But that was really the only tone I'd want to use out of it. I have a 101b and a couple vintage Marshalls that got used WAY more often. Plus a SLO and '67 Super Reverb to round things out. I knew the $1600 was a great price to get for it, so I let it go. I only paid $750 for it about 15 year earlier.

Back