Mick Mars' strat

paulyc

I just went to Crue Saturday night up in Manchester NH, and I gotta say, Mick's live tone is awesome. He played 3 beat up Fender Strats the whole night, but the last song of the night (Home Sweet Home), he had one that was hum/single/single instead of his usual hum/single/hum that looked like it might have been metallic pink and HEAVILY relic'd...I can only find one pic on the 'net of it...anyone else know anything about this guitar ? Thanks...

It's just visible in Mick's rack here:

12109774_480292422139918_769253440040600138_o.jpg

I remember seeing the strat you're talking about when I saw them a year ago. It sure is lovely! Can't say that I have any pictures of it but Mick has a great collection of guitars that sound phenomenal.

He only used it for Home Sweet Home, he had a beat up white one that he used for everything else except one song...but I just LOVE that beat up metallic pink Strat !!!

I've been Googling since Saturday, I found ONE pic, and it's an extreme closeup and his hand is in the way of the center of the body...believe me I used Google images...but thanks for that pic.

The guitar that you were referencing to kindna look like tangelo orange instead of pink. If you're into pink guitar then how about the ESP guitar below?

005.jpg

I don't think that's the same guitar, I think that one has hum/single/hum and a painted headstock...maybe it's the same. Maybe the lighting made it look pink...he was probably 40 feet or less from me at the time I saw him with it, they play Home Sweet Home out behind the mixing console on a small platform for like 10 people, but our seats were right off to the side of it.

It looks like fiesta red that's faded out like the one Gary Moore use to play. It can look pinkish at certain angles.

Love mick....any one who puts a floyd on a strat is OK in my books :rock:

The relicing would all be fake wouldn't it?? doesn't seem like the sort of guy who would be rough enough to wear finishes like that (video above aside)

There are other oddities too, like the fact that all the headstocks are large Fender, but none of them have a bullet truss rod adjuster at the end...probably Fender Custom Shop, relic, Floyd, non bullet truss rod, etc...when I saw them Saturday night it didn't have a painted headstock, maybe the neck was replaced at some point.

paulyc":1dvfqx8d said:
There are other oddities too, like the fact that all the headstocks are large Fender, but none of them have a bullet truss rod adjuster at the end...probably Fender Custom Shop, relic, Floyd, non bullet truss rod, etc...when I saw them Saturday night it didn't have a painted headstock, maybe the neck was replaced at some point.

The large headstock came into production in '66, the bullet truss rod adjuster in '71. There are plenty of large headstock Strats out there without it...not an oddity at all. Just check out a few Hendrix pics.

rupe":wyp92rxi said:
paulyc":wyp92rxi said:

The large headstock came into production in '66, the bullet truss rod adjuster in '71. There are plenty of large headstock Strats out there without it...not an oddity at all. Just check out a few Hendrix pics.

How many with 22 frets though ;)

messenger":25qwnxg9 said:
rupe":25qwnxg9 said:
paulyc":25qwnxg9 said:

How many with 22 frets though ;)
True...but the same could be said of the bullet truss rod guitars :thumbsup:

Back