MojoMojo Overdrive gain / level pot question

sombersoul

Asking anyone who owns or has used a MojoMojo Overdrive: I recently bought one and I quite like the sound I get from it. However, I was surprised to find out that the gain pot apparently also significantly influences the volume.

Example: Gain turned all the the way down (for a cleanish boost), Level at noon. When I engage the pedal, the volume drops significantly (almost becomes unusable). I have to bring the Level pot up to 3 o'clock to match the level of the volume on bypass. Now, naturally, if I turn up the gain, the volume also increases and I need to back down the Level pot. This was surprising to me, since with my other ODs (Maxon 808, GT-OD, Boss OD-3) the Gain pot is independent of the Level pot, i.e. the Level pot can be at noon all the time and adjusting the gain does not alter the overall volume.

I would like to know whether this is a normal and expected function of the MojoMojo or if I've got a fautly unit. Of course, I've tried the TC Electronic support but could not derive any clarification from the strangely worded reply I received:

"Depending the output level of your guitar pickups. If the output level of your guitar pickups is important, you have to compensate the level of the MojoMojo and turn the Level up. This will effectually balance the bypass level with the MojoMojo level. When you turn up the Drive, the level increases more or less within a certain limit, nothing unusual. For your information, you can see a demo of the MojoMojo to see how it works."

I tried the pedal all by itself, with various power supplies and cables but I haven't been able to test another pedal at the store. Maybe someone can share their experience. Thanks!

Back