more V2 Caldera amps

V2a

2x6V6S (JJ) at 425V into 6.6k OT for 20W.
modded-Marshall preamp. Single channel with vintage/modern switch.

working chassis.jpg
gut shot.JPG

Very nice! Did you have the chassis built and boards done yourself, how did you go about doing this?

Reactions: V2a
I designed the chassis and had a batch of them fabricated locally. And I designed the PCBs and had 'em made abroad.

these are killer amps. I ended up selling mine to fund a guitar and I regret it. That thing was everything I expected a Marshall to sound like (but they didnt). Nice to see you posting new work!

Very nice looking work.

I've always been curious: what is the advantage to radial caps? Is it just saving space? I find them annoying to replace, not that they'd need it any decade soon.

Very nice looking work.

I've always been curious: what is the advantage to radial caps? Is it just saving space? I find them annoying to replace, not that they'd need it any decade soon.

axial caps and multi-section can caps are really a thing of the past that are used only for 'mojo' in a guitar amp. Well, they are easier to replace. These radial caps have 12000 hour life expectancy (longer, since they won't see the max working voltages).

This bastard used a pair of EL34s (adjustable fixed bias) for 30 watts. Smaller chassis (17.5" wide, rather than 20"). Yes, the little choke is up for the task. Check out the hammond open-frame units.

IMG_0848.jpg

This amp is looking great as it is supposed to look. Such a very nice and creative design and build-up.

Reactions: V2a
pilot.jpeg

First batch of kit faceplates. Probably will just say 'V2 Amplification' in the future so that I can order just one 'batch'. Kit comes with full step-by-step instructions too.

Oh, that that's my new fav indicator light. Runs off the 120Vac at the switch. Not cheap, but worth it.

Back