Mustaine/Megadeth Lead tone

Dave's lead tones seem to be different than the rhythm but it' still pretty straight forward, yet I can't put my finger on it.
I haven't seen much online or live, maybe his tech is turning on/off effects for him?
Is it just an eq that boosts certain frequencies? I find the same tone happening in Slayer solos.
It's like a wah but with not much movement.
Anyways just curious if anyone has some info on it. Thanks.

What era? Im guessing his live tone is what you’re asking about up until 5-6 years ago he pretty much used the rocktron prophecy for his live performances

Edit I meant to say gsp1101’s before that was the prophecy’s

What era? Im guessing his live tone is what you’re asking about up until 5-6 years ago he pretty much used the rocktron prophecy for his live performances

Edit I meant to say gsp1101’s before that was the prophecy’s
Had no idea he was using the GSPs. I thought he had moved back to Marshall JVM heads for a while before picking up the Axe-Fx.

He usually just plugs into a Marshall head of some sort when tracking solo's, Mostly jcm800's. I know when they did (Dave and Chris Poland) the solos for The System Has Failed he used a 50 watt 2204 for the leads, probably modified. That's one of my fav Megadeth albums for leads, mostly because of Poland's great playing. But the rhythms are a Rocktron Prophesy direct.

For Peace Sells, he just used a Tom Sholtz Rockman, for rhythm and leads, and it turned out pretty good IMO. When tracking rhythms he's used so much different stuff. Personally, i like the tone on Countdown the most.

Marshal EL34 100/100 Monoblocks I have seen quite offer.
Those were his poweramps for his live rig. It was a Rocktron Prophesy into a el34 100/100 monoblock for quite some time, I think that was what he used just before he turned to the Fractal rig.

He usually just plugs into a Marshall head of some sort when tracking solo's, Mostly jcm800's. I know when they did (Dave and Chris Poland) the solos for The System Has Failed he used a 50 watt 2204 for the leads, probably modified. That's one of my fav Megadeth albums for leads, mostly because of Poland's great playing. But the rhythms are a Rocktron Prophesy direct.

For Peace Sells, he just used a Tom Sholtz Rockman, for rhythm and leads, and it turned out pretty good IMO. When tracking rhythms he's used so much different stuff. Personally, i like the tone on Countdown the most.
Poland is amazing on the SHF album . So fluid with the legsto

This video always stuck out to me. Not sure if he actually used it

I remember that vid. He was endorsed by Line 6 for a short while, very short while. The amp probably really sucks so that's why. Anyways, Dave's has always been one to whore out his endorsements, going as far as saying he used Marshall stuff on most of the albums, and while that may be true for leads, I don't think it's true for rhythm tones. He seems to like recording direct with pre-amps, like the rockman at first on KIMB and Peace Sells. Rust In Peace definitely has that direct sound to it to, very crisp, kinda buzzy tone... but who knows, maybe it's a Marshall like he says it is, maybe a jmp-1??

I prefer this rig from back in the day...
20220517_102517.jpg

I remember that vid. He was endorsed by Line 6 for a short while, very short while. The amp probably really sucks so that's why. Anyways, Dave's has always been one to whore out his endorsements, going as far as saying he used Marshall stuff on most of the albums, and while that may be true for leads, I don't think it's true for rhythm tones. He seems to like recording direct with pre-amps, like the rockman at first on KIMB and Peace Sells. Rust In Peace definitely has that direct sound to it to, very crisp, kinda buzzy tone... but who knows, maybe it's a Marshall like he says it is, maybe a jmp-1??
He dropped that line6 custom amp like a hot potato, I dont recall how long he used it but I think he recorded United Abomnations with it, and then he was back to prophecy not long into the tour for UA, but he still said he used marshalls an had marshalls on stage when he dropped line 6.

Back