NAD: Mesa Mark IIC++ w/obligatory Metallica clip. Sad But True

I'm not up on the details - did Hetfield run through an EL34 power section typically? Maybe that was for Puppets, don't recall.

I'm not up on the details - did Hetfield run through an EL34 power section typically? Maybe that was for Puppets, don't recall.
Hetfield has referred to his IIC+’s as Simul-class. In those you can run a pair of EL34’s together with the 6L6’s. Or all 6L6’s. My guess is that he ran all 6L6’s.

There is this big misunderstanding that he was slaving the IIC+ into a Marshall on Puppets. But Flemming Rasmussen said that they only did that for some solos. The rhythm tone is all Boogie.

Hetfield has referred to his IIC+’s as Simul-class. In those you can run a pair of EL34’s together with the 6L6’s. Or all 6L6’s. My guess is that he ran all 6L6’s.
There is this big misunderstanding that he was slaving the IIC+ into a Marshall on Puppets. But Flemming Rasmussen said that they only did that for some solos. The rhythm tone is all Boogie.

I can see the power section being DRG on MOP. However, in my opinion, there's no way it was a small power section on AJFA and TBA. I think the C++ was slaved into a Strategy 400 for these tones.

Rumored it was a simul power section but there has never been a definite answer if it was a DG or a KDG non reverb. Definitely all 6L6 Too bad it's so super secret it's like to the grave type of shit. The 100 transformer here sounds killer like my DG with the 101X

Last edited:

I can see the power section being DRG on MOP. However, in my opinion, there's no way it was a small power section on AJFA and TBA. I think the C++ was slaved into a Strategy 400 for these tones.
I had the C+ into Strategy 400 rig a few years back. The ++ mod makes waaaay more difference IMO. Its very "metal" sounding for lack of a better term. I'm not sure this head could do the smooth liquidy lead thingy as well as a regular C+.

I had the C+ into Strategy 400 rig a few years back. The ++ mod makes waaaay more difference IMO. Its very "metal" sounding for lack of a better term. I'm not sure this head could do the smooth liquidy lead thingy as well as a regular C+.
I've owned lots of all of them. Just based on the tones I've been able to coax, I don't think it's possible to get that level of girth with a 4 tube power section that has a lot of negative feedback. Maybe in the studio, though?

In addition to the extra HP & huge iron, the K power section has no negative feedback, and the Strategy only has a little.

Yeah, definitely. And that’s no secret. Flemmings notes for Justice has settings on slave out and levels for the Strategy 400. But we’ll never know if his Strategy 400 is simul or not. Since some of the earliest ones were, according to Mike B.

Rumored it was a simul power section but there has never been a definite answer if it was a DG or a KDG non reverb. Definitely all 6L6 Too bad it's so super secret it's like to the grave type of shit. The 100 transformer here sounds killer like my DG with the 101X
Definitely not Colis. Look at the mounting screws for the chassis. Mark II and early III K’s have a slightly wider chassis. And the mounting screws are wider apart. On the regular long chassis they are in line with the input and footswitch jacks.

Also, according to Mike B they never had Colis, they were DG’s and DRG’s.

Attachments

• DBE05B10-D2C8-4DB5-841B-BE5370B66A9B.jpeg
    DBE05B10-D2C8-4DB5-841B-BE5370B66A9B.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 4CDDB068-4F4A-49B8-A5F1-843808A65ECB.jpeg
    4CDDB068-4F4A-49B8-A5F1-843808A65ECB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
  • 78FC8EFA-B15D-49DD-8A86-1690DB2A40B2.jpeg
    78FC8EFA-B15D-49DD-8A86-1690DB2A40B2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
Back