NAD Suhr SE-100

jtgainor

Well. The tone chase is over. No more amp gas. No more mods. No more hours watching amp demos and browsing classifieds to find something to scratch the "itch".(Total bs on the demos part:ROFLMAO:)

Originally being a huge Green Day fan as a kid(yeah yeah I know that's not real music) and learning what gear Billie used, I've always lusted after an SE modded amp by Suhr or Golub, but I could never afford a Marshall growing up. Well now that I'm in my own place, and thankfully have a full time job, I was finally able to snatch up one of these fire breathers. Pretty much the perfect fire breathing hot rodded plexi. Doesn't do clean very well, but that's not the tone I'm after. Works incredibly well with V30's and greenbacks so far. Really punchy and dynamic while still being a gain monster.

anyways, enough with my love story, here's a pic and a quick clip. I'm going to do some more in depth videos of this amp since there isn't much film on them on the ole boobtube.
332451617_809962286634019_4728467823637497870_n.jpg

Man it nails all of those classic tones great and has more gain on tap to boot. I’m sure it also responds great to pedals too. Congrats on finding a modded Marshall that you love!
It 100% has more gain than I’d ever need. Was playing it at a buddies this morning and found through g12h’s it sounds real close to the master of puppets tone. I’ve yet to run pedals though it, more of a straight in and out guy, but I’ll get around to that soon enough.

Yeah, despite the head shell and that John built this circuit into some Marshalls back in the day, I wouldn´t say the SE sound is much of a modded Marshall tone-wise. At least not how we think about them today. Absolute tons of saturation, a very thick voicing in the bass and low mids, not the typical high mid edge and a bit scoopy instead. Probably just as much Boogie as Marshall, in broad terms, and very much a child of the times there in the early 90s.

Yeah, despite the head shell and that John built this circuit into some Marshalls back in the day, I wouldn´t say the SE sound is much of a modded Marshall tone-wise. At least not how we think about them today. Absolute tons of saturation, a very thick voicing in the bass and low mids, not the typical high mid edge and a bit scoopy instead. Probably just as much Boogie as Marshall, in broad terms, and very much a child of the times there in the early 90s.
I agree to an extent, but still very much a Marshall feel. It’s still pretty stiff unlike any boogie I’ve played. I will say the eq is very responsive to knob turning, so with the mids on 4, it is somewhat scooped, but with the mids on 6-7 it sounds a lot closer to my 2203. Plus I think it shares the power section with the SL68 more or less. Anyways it’s the best amp I’ve ever played. :rock:

Congrats on the purchase man.

Not that familiar with these - are they just another take on the 2203 topology with mods? Or are you saying there's Boogie DNA at circuit level?

Not familiar at all with the circuit, sorry, but just going from the sound of them they´re thick and distorted in a way I personally don´t associate with Marshalls - modded or not. Just a tractor-heavy sound.

Congrats on the purchase man.

Not that familiar with these - are they just another take on the 2203 topology with mods? Or are you saying there's Boogie DNA at circuit level?
From what I gather, it’s a 4 gain stage plexi/2203 with a slightly tweaked eq. It’s more or less the same preamp design as the CAE 3+SE lead channel.

I don’t see many Suhr amps at shows, but the ones I do typically sound killer. The Badger is a cool amp. Never had the pleasure of trying out any of their beefier options.

suhr amps seem to fly under the radar, every clip i hear is great. congrats
A buddy of mine swears by the SL68. He doesn’t like his SE100 all that much, certainly not as much as the OP does. But I’d be interested in trying out the 67 and 68 one day. I have a Suhr Bella that is straight up fantastic as a clean pedal platform. Nicely done amp:

Attachments

• 8C675952-30C2-41D2-AA0E-F8435E77F50D.jpeg
    8C675952-30C2-41D2-AA0E-F8435E77F50D.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 83
A buddy of mine swears by the SL68. He doesn’t like his SE100 all that much, certainly not as much as the OP does. But I’d be interested in trying out the 67 and 68 one day. I have a Suhr Bella that is straight up fantastic as a clean pedal platform. Nicely done amp:
I can totally see people not liking the SE. It's a very unique circuit. It's not as bright as a 2203 or 1959, but its just as unforgiving. Almost went with a SL 68, but knew I'd end up getting it modded to se specs. And that bella looks amazing. I know John built all the SE's himself and the few I've see all look perfect.

pete breaks down his SL68 along with other nice marshalls here, if i was in the market for a "new" plexi one of them would definitely be on my list

I can totally see people not liking the SE. It's a very unique circuit. It's not as bright as a 2203 or 1959, but its just as unforgiving. Almost went with a SL 68, but knew I'd end up getting it modded to se specs. And that bella looks amazing. I know John built all the SE's himself and the few I've see all look perfect.
He’s super picky. Based on your clip, I’d love it

Back