NAD Suhr SE-100

Sounds good too. The 2 amps blended seemed to really work well together. What mics are you using? And preamps with them (if used)?
The two amps blended had a 57 on the se and a md421 on the 2203. Both running v30’s. Mic’d went straight into my scarlet gen 3 interface.

Nice one man!

Interesting you mentioned Green Day. A local guy contacted us recently and asked if we wanted to check out his Dookie modded JMP by Martin Golub. Pretty rare from what I can gather, especially down under. No matter what anyone thinks of their music, I reckon BJA has had pretty great tone for a few decades now.
Yeah the Dookie mod is just Suhr’s crunch mod. Golub kinda took it and renamed it to sell more amps imo. I had a 50 watter that Martin modded and in all honesty, sounded exactly like my 2203, so I sold it. If you ever come across a CAE 3+ down there, give it a try. That’s more or less both the crunch mod and the SE circuit in one preamp.

Congrats on the purchase man.

Not that familiar with these - are they just another take on the 2203 topology with mods? Or are you saying there's Boogie DNA at circuit level?
Bradshaw had John Suhr design the CAE OD (the SE is channel 3 of the CAE). Bradshaw was using Soldano preamps back in the 80's, but Soldano was charging him full price. The CAE OD was meant to be an alternative to Soldano, as such it's more in that vein than Mesa. IMHO, it sounds like a cross between a SLO and a Rectifier. Looser bottom than the SLO but not as mushy as the Recto.

Yeah the Dookie mod is just Suhr’s crunch mod. Golub kinda took it and renamed it to sell more amps imo. I had a 50 watter that Martin modded and in all honesty, sounded exactly like my 2203, so I sold it. If you ever come across a CAE 3+ down there, give it a try. That’s more or less both the crunch mod and the SE circuit in one preamp.
Thanks, interesting.

The amp is due next week - the owner seems to think it sounds pretty special. We'll find out soon for ourselves though. He's also bringing along a Friedman Naked which I've heard positive things about, but are pretty uncommon.

Thanks, interesting.

The amp is due next week - the owner seems to think it sounds pretty special. We'll find out soon for ourselves though. He's also bringing along a Friedman Naked which I've heard positive things about, but are pretty uncommon.
Let me know how you like it!

Famous last words.
Hey Nostradamus, you were right. I bought the SE-100 from him.
IMG_8558.jpeg
IMG_8546.jpeg

Thanks, interesting.

You never told us about the outcome though. May I ask for it? :)

Both were great, especially the Golub-modded JMP. Nice crunch, still very Marshally. Not dissimilar to the Jake E Lee mod going around. Good times.

The Naked was a like a smoother, thicker BE100. Loves drop C or C# for those big 90's riffs.
Thanks!

As if BE wasn’t smooth enough already lol
I thought Naked would be more aggressive than BE, to be honest.

Back