NAD: Wizard “Hetfield MC”!!!!!

fearhk213":p8w8ywua said:
So what exactly does the "Hetfield Mod" change compared to the standard voicing?

There isn't a whole lot of info about what's different on Hetfield's one (apart from that it doesn't have a clean channel).

However there were several revisions on the Modern Classic over the years, this is a newer model but it might've been built with an older circuit since Hetfield has a 90's one?

Sounds great man.

I've always wondered how James Hetfield used the Wizard Modern Classic in his guitar rig. Was it just for layering of big ringing chords for the Garage Inc. (first disc) album? Did he "dovetail" it with his Mesa/Boogie TriAxis and the Strategy 400 power amp? If so, how?

How has he used it since then? Did he run it alongside the Diezel VH4? Was it an alternative to the VH4? Did it replace the Recto?

petejt":2nmbqyfh said:
Sounds great man.

I've always wondered how James Hetfield used the Wizard Modern Classic in his guitar rig. Was it just for layering of big ringing chords for the Garage Inc. (first disc) album? Did he "dovetail" it with his Mesa/Boogie TriAxis and the Strategy 400 power amp? If so, how?

How has he used it since then? Did he run it alongside the Diezel VH4? Was it an alternative to the VH4? Did it replace the Recto?

He’s used all of those from time to time with different blends. Changes from song to song. I doubt he himself could answer specific blend percentages without pulling production notes. For instance, on the new album, Halo on fire has way more mids dialed in vs the other songs. Sounds like more wizard but who really knows.

Pseudo Drew Peterson":3aonship said:
Yeah most likely. If I ever decide to get another Wizard, I’m asking for the Hetfield mod. Sounds sick. :thumbsup:

Much appreciated.

DeathbyButterslax":3aonship said:
Sounds killer as always man :rock:

Thanks dude!

Bad.Seed":3aonship said:
That sounds damn good man. You're increasing my Wizard gas. Congratulations on the amp, I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of that thing!

Thanks dude, it sounds huge in the room. These amps have so much punch.

Fitrocker33":3aonship said:
Are we talking young substance addict hetfield or old fat bad guitar tone hetfield? Lol

Must be the former because your amp does indeed induce priapism.

That’s a good question, prob which ever one had a better tone, thanks for the compliment.

fearhk213":3aonship said:
So what exactly does the "Hetfield Mod" change compared to the standard voicing?

I emailed Rick to find out, haven’t heard back yet, so hopefully after the holidays. I’ll report back.

stephen sawall":3aonship said:
The clips do sound killer.

Thanks buddy!

crankyrayhanky":3aonship said:
Sounds awesome!

Thanks dude!

There's no real "Hetfield" mod, per se. I had an original spec MC 100, same year and circuit as Hetfield. Earlier spec transformers that they stopped using relatively quick in favor of MM, piercingly bright head unit, and lower gain than that clip. There's no boost on the lead channel on those models. Only one input as well. Pulling that boost is like a saturation switch, it's going to add gain and cut girth. You need to leave it out and crank it up if you want Hetfield.

Hetfield used his for the first time on "Reload" as a blender, though you still hear more Triaxis than anything. Same with "Garage Inc", with the Wizard in select spots. Fast forward to the Diezel years and he's used the VH4, C+, and Wizard blended together for rhythm sounds. Can't speak to how that's blended (doubt Hetfield could either :LOL: :LOL: ), but I personally hear more VH4 than anything on the newer stuff.

Here's my old one (on top, bottom one belongs to a buddy:)

http://i68.tinypic.com/314b56w.jpg

LPMojoGL":1nvh4yra said:
That Wizard sounds awesome. I have tremendous want for one of these.
Thanks buddy.

NewWorldMan":1nvh4yra said:
There's no real "Hetfield" mod, per se. I had an original spec MC 100, same year and circuit as Hetfield. Earlier spec transformers that they stopped using relatively quick in favor of MM, piercingly bright head unit, and lower gain than that clip. There's no boost on the lead channel on those models. Only one input as well. Pulling that boost is like a saturation switch, it's going to add gain and cut girth. You need to leave it out and crank it up if you want Hetfield.

Hetfield used his for the first time on "Reload" as a blender, though you still hear more Triaxis than anything. Same with "Garage Inc", with the Wizard in select spots. Fast forward to the Diezel years and he's used the VH4, C+, and Wizard blended together for rhythm sounds. Can't speak to how that's blended (doubt Hetfield could either :LOL: :LOL: ), but I personally hear more VH4 than anything on the newer stuff.

Here's my old one (on top, bottom one belongs to a buddy:)

http://i68.tinypic.com/314b56w.jpg

I said it was a 2016 that was “voiced” like Hetfields. Not trying to claim a “mod.”
As it was built this way from the start apparently.
I also never said I was trying to get Hetfields tone in that clip. I’m using passives and drop tuned. I have an esp that has Hetfield Emg’s, I have tuned to standard. With that guitar I do take off the lead boost and bump the highs more, so just like what you were saying. But I found I like that more, because the emgs already add saturation. It sounds punchier that way, with that guitar.
I saw some vids showcasing those amps, and all that info.
The mix blend is the special sauce, that is unknown. This wizard is pretty awesome, none the less.

Metlupass2":1nvh4yra said:
Sounds good but am I the only one on here that plays in standard tuning anymore?

I play standard a lot, just not in this clip :thumbsup:

LunatiBSW":2n2y4flz said:
I said it was a 2016 that was “voiced” like Hetfields. Not trying to claim a “mod.”

:confused: But it is what you said. Literally, word for word, even with the quote marks... :D

LunatiBSW":2n2y4flz said:
No external boost. Just the “boost” feature on the lead channel. I honestly think the Hetfield “mod” is what makes it sound so badass

After that, folks started talking about Hetfield "mods" and such, so I wanted to give some context. I think 99% of people wanting a Wizard would not be happy with an original one like Hetfield. The transformers are allegedly subpar versus later ones, it's not exceptionally higher gain than a slightly juiced JMP, it's ridiculously bright, etc.

Point being, yours and just about every one made after those originals sound better and are better amps, hands down. My buddy's in the pic below my old one was extremely better, and they've made improvements since that one as well. So yeah, yours is no doubt a "better" amp than that old one and Hetfields original. That's a good thing... :thumbsup:

NewWorldMan":3peb3ay0 said:
LunatiBSW":3peb3ay0 said:

:confused: But it is what you said. Literally, word for word, even with the quote marks... :D

LunatiBSW":3peb3ay0 said:
No external boost. Just the “boost” feature on the lead channel. I honestly think the Hetfield “mod” is what makes it sound so badass

After that, folks started talking about Hetfield "mods" and such, so I wanted to give some context. I think 99% of people wanting a Wizard would not be happy with an original one like Hetfield. The transformers are allegedly subpar versus later ones, it's not exceptionally higher gain than a slightly juiced JMP, it's ridiculously bright, etc.

Point being, yours and just about every one made after those originals sound better and are better amps, hands down. My buddy's in the pic below my old one was extremely better, and they've made improvements since that one as well. So yeah, yours is no doubt a "better" amp than that old one and Hetfields original. That's a good thing... :thumbsup:

Haha I only stated that in quotations. As a nickname of sorts.
We don’t need a definition of what something quoted means do we? Haha
And I only put that because that’s what others were calling it.
Only using as a slang of sorts.
I have it in bold in my OP. That I stated “voiced” like.
:thumbsup:
You can see it grew into that “nickname” from others.

I only put it in the post because I thought it was cool, and maybe a little unique.
I found out after I bought it, so, was just getting excited about it, nothing more.
Didn’t mean to be too “literal” for anyone.

LunatiBSW":1y0t80xc said:
I only put it in the post because I thought it was cool, and maybe a little unique.
I found out after I bought it, so, was just getting excited about it, nothing more.
Didn’t mean to be too “literal” for anyone.

Yeah, the internet takes everything literally... :LOL: :LOL: Wanted to level set. Even in that clip, yours sounds better than the original old one ever did. Probably one of the few times where people wouldn't complain that the older ones are better, haha.

Back