Nevermore Uberschall tones (without clipping!)

VESmedic

Like I said in an earlier post I still think the rectos bottom end is much more punchy and devastating than the Ubers, the Ubers is just big. And it’s a killer sound no doubt! But the rectos bottom end is just a damn sledgehammer, really tough to beat. This had the nevermore vibe to me and it’s a huge sick tone regardless.

Uberschall, 808 boost.
Mesa recto: OC818/421 combo, Marshall BV Cab with a 57 on it and a 57 on a GT75. Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/puqw...er-4.wav?rlkey=ad7csehmfna2v6de90podlnk7&dl=0

More scooped:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/pb86...coop.wav?rlkey=o2123zpe0tgsyinpiqh5pe6oh&dl=0

Last edited:
Alittle more scooped in this one to get rid of that boxiness, because midrange sucks :)

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/pb86...coop.wav?rlkey=o2123zpe0tgsyinpiqh5pe6oh&dl=0

Boy don't you know guitar is a MID RANGE instrument?! I know that because every yahoo online expert repeats that phrase to themselves constantly while they pat themselves on the back. That means guitar tone AIN'T GOOD unless it sounds like a megaphone through an AM radio. Surprised you didn't know that.

Seriously though that sounds awesome.

Boy don't you know guitar is a MID RANGE instrument?! I know that because every yahoo online expert repeats that phrase to themselves constantly while they pat themselves on the back. That means guitar tone AIN'T GOOD unless it sounds like a megaphone through an AM radio. Surprised you didn't know that.

Exactly! As if your v30s and tubescreamers and 5150s and sm57s DONT have enough midrange already! Who cares about anything else in a mix, it should sound like a guitar foghorn!

Exactly…also looking at tonal balance with this and some isolated guitar tracks just for shits and giggles it matches some of my favorite guitar tones eq curves perfectly. Meshuggah, whitechapel, aborted, arch enemy etc. it’s almost like, you don’t need near as much midrange as people think they do…WEIRD.

Crank up that 300-900 hz because the YouTuber told you to. Also high pass at 120 hz for all guitars!

Crank up that 300-900 hz because the YouTuber told you to. Also high pass at 120 hz for all guitars!

ALWAYS 120hz. Maybe even 150! You need ZEROOOO low end in your guitars, and make sure you use tape sims all over it too to REALLY neuter the fuck out of it. Also low pass always at 3k.

Hell yeah bros my guitar track is EQ'd and ready for ANYTHING. Who's ready to lay down some blazin hot licks??

xGgJBAi.png

Hey @VESmedic I'm curious, so there's an Uberschall+808 and Dual Recto blended together here, right? Also I'm not sure I understand the cabs and mics setup. Are the OC818 and 421 on the V30's in the Marshall BV cab? And then there's a 57 on a third speaker in the cab, and then a 57 on a GT75 in another cab?

Hey @VESmedic I'm curious, so there's an Uberschall+808 and Dual Recto blended together here, right? Also I'm not sure I understand the cabs and mics setup. Are the OC818 and 421 on the V30's in the Marshall BV cab? And then there's a 57 on a third speaker in the cab, and then a 57 on a GT75 in another cab?

Naw dawg, just a straight Uberschall. The comments about comparing to the recto were basically me talking out loud in my head my thoughts on the Uber vs recto since they’ve gotten so often compared over the years. But the rectos bottom end in a similar setup recorded as this and playing back in my car has enough punch to make me car sick, and I’m not even kidding. The Uber just doesn’t hit like that. The recto is just devastating in comparison.

Cab setup is 2 cabs:

Mesa cab with a 421 and an AA OC18, and then a Marshall BV cab with a 57 on a Marshall vintage speaker and a 57 on a GT75 in the same cab for a alittle bit more closer vibe to that nevermore sound. I still don’t like that many mics, the low end is just so much punchier and bigger with one mic , maybe two. But, it came out kinda cool. but for sheer clarity, direct, lots of attack and punchy low end, a single mic wins everytime. These mics are “perfectly in phase”, except, they aren’t. Because there is no way to get two mics perfectly in phase no matter what anyone tells you. All you have to do is look at the wave forms and see; yes, sure you can line up the beginning of the waveform with the first few dips/upward deflections, but look at the rest of it. Many of the deflections will be nowhere close to “in line” with eachother just due to the nature of the frequency response of 2 diffrrnt mics, cabs etc: this all equals phase shift somewhere, and it’s almost always in the low end.

Naw dawg, just a straight Uberschall. The comments about comparing to the recto were basically me talking out loud in my head my thoughts on the Uber vs recto since they’ve gotten so often compared over the years. But the rectos bottom end in a similar setup recorded as this and playing back in my car has enough punch to make me car sick, and I’m not even kidding. The Uber just doesn’t hit like that. The recto is just devastating in comparison.

Cab setup is 2 cabs:

Mesa cab with a 421 and an AA OC18, and then a Marshall BV cab with a 57 on a Marshall vintage speaker and a 57 on a GT75 in the same cab for a alittle bit more closer vibe to that nevermore sound. I still don’t like that many mics, the low end is just so much punchier and bigger with one mic , maybe two. But, it came out kinda cool. but for sheer clarity, direct, lots of attack and punchy low end, a single mic wins everytime. These mics are “perfectly in phase”, except, they aren’t. Because there is no way to get two mics perfectly in phase no matter what anyone tells you. All you have to do is look at the wave forms and see; yes, sure you can line up the beginning of the waveform with the first few dips/upward deflections, but look at the rest of it. Many of the deflections will be nowhere close to “in line” with eachother just due to the nature of the frequency response of 2 diffrrnt mics, cabs etc: this all equals phase shift somewhere, and it’s almost always in the low end.

Aaaah I see, thanks, that makes sense. So there's four individual cab / speaker / mic combinations being blended. Very cool.

That's some killer info about mic stacking and phase relationships, I didn't really know that stuff. I have a handful of cabs around but almost all of my recordings are done with IR's so I haven't really had to deal with that kind of thing. I'd love to jump down the real cab / real mics rabbit hole though, seems like a tweakers's dream (or nightmare hah). My current favorite mic blend is 57, 4047, and M160. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and pick up a 421 just to get the huge sub lows of a good ribbon mic and see what happens.

wow that's some strong gate you've got going on there LOL! I actually like them both, the DHIADW guitar tones were killer
what guitar/ pickup?

wow that's some strong gate you've got going on there LOL! I actually like them both, the DHIADW guitar tones were killer
what guitar/ pickup?

Haha yea alittle heavy handed for sure on that. ESP horizon 6 string, EMG 57/66 set.

Back