New 2020 Uberschall Twin Jett Came With Ruby 6550 And Setup?

Pain

I ordered a Twin Jett and expected the KT88s, it but not only did it come with Ruby 6550 but was setup by Musicians Friend and had the tubes in it and missing the packing slip from Bogner.

I'm trying to get in touch with Bogner and run the serial number but this seems a bit fishy.

Any insight on how your Twin Jett arrived would be helpful, thanks.

Huh no one mentioned this between Bogner or Musicians Friend and yet sometime on here knows the answer. LOL

So you like the 6550 over the KT88 or haven't you got a chance to compare?

I'll most likely be getting KT88s since I prefer this tube but I'll compare them first to make sure.
I'm also not cool with paying for one thing and getting another without a message about the change. I guess I should change some of my money at the end of the transaction to Canadian at the end and see what happens. LOL

I have never played kt88s. I have a brand new quad that i bought for the amp, but i ended up returning the amp. I will say that it was the best sounding amp i ever played. It kinda reminded me of a maxwatt super hi 50. Only downside to the amp is the loop. Did not cooperate with the zuul

Mine(KT88 loaded) sounds killer and surprised you had to use a Gate unless you needed it whisper quiet.
You know the trick to Uber style amps Loop is run the global Master at noon . Channel volumes at 9 to 10 oclock.
Unity gain on loop volume.

Works great.

I read the trick on an old post on here. I tried it for sure. And I run a gate on everything when playing metal. I could have modified the loop on the thing, but I was just a little irritated that it didn't work for me. I have an avenger. It is really quiet like the bogner. But if you boost a high gain amp, then turn the master to the 110 db range, you are going to get more noise than i like. I really enjoy dead silence when i silence the strings. when you play a palm mute, then silence the strings real quick, and just have 95 decibels of static, it kinda takes the wind out of your sails

Smashedguitarist":3l9zxtb5 said:
I read the trick on an old post on here. I tried it for sure. And I run a gate on everything when playing metal. I could have modified the loop on the thing, but I was just a little irritated that it didn't work for me. I have an avenger. It is really quiet like the bogner. But if you boost a high gain amp, then turn the master to the 110 db range, you are going to get more noise than i like. I really enjoy dead silence when i silence the strings. when you play a palm mute, then silence the strings real quick, and just have 95 decibels of static, it kinda takes the wind out of your sails

:thumbsup: Gotcha

Looks like Bogner was having issue getting KT88s due to a fire a tube factory had and other preferences they wanted. Ruby 6550 will be their preferred power tube in the Twin Jetts and they felt was closest to the Uber KT88 sound.

I'm still getting JJ KT88s and doing a back to back recording comparison. I'll maybe come back with the clips since there are JJ KT88s still out there and I need to know personally vs what I'm stuck with.

John4021":2joxivis said:
Mine(KT88 loaded) sounds killer and surprised you had to use a Gate unless you needed it whisper quiet.
You know the trick to Uber style amps Loop is run the global Master at noon . Channel volumes at 9 to 10 oclock.

Works great.

I much prefer the channel master around 11-12...but you have to compromise due to the loop. Too bad there isn’t a fix for the loop since it sucks. Please note I have a Rev 2 Uber so I’m referring to that loop.

I need to get around to modding the amp for KT88’s. I thought about adding a little switch so I could easily go back to EL34’s as wanted/needed. I’m just super lazy.

psychodave":ahsqp81q said:
John4021":ahsqp81q said:

Works great.

I much prefer the channel master around 11-12...but you have to compromise due to the loop. Too bad there isn’t a fix for the loop since it sucks. Please note I have a Rev 2 Uber so I’m referring to that loop.

I need to get around to modding the amp for KT88’s. I thought about adding a little switch so I could easily go back to EL34’s as wanted/needed. I’m just super lazy.

Great idea :thumbsup:

On a tip from forum member Ventura, I put 6550's in my twin Jet.
Fukking killer.
Turned the amp into a weapon of mass sonic destruction.
I stupidly let that amp go in a trade, and even though I came out way ahead value-wise, I miss that amp a lot.
Pretty sure the 6550's were Tung Sol.
For KT88's, the Tubestore preferred series are really nice.

fusedbrain":1vq7tsaf said:
On a tip from forum member Ventura, I put 6550's in my twin Jet.
Fukking killer.
Turned the amp into a weapon of mass sonic destruction.
I stupidly let that amp go in a trade, and even though I came out way ahead value-wise, I miss that amp a lot.
Pretty sure the 6550's were Tung Sol.
For KT88's, the Tubestore preferred series are really nice.
EHX actually, they were EHX 6550s - and thanks for the shoutout :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

These EHX are a tad "darker" than some 6550s out there, which tamed the high-end shrill that some people find with the TJs. EHX can also handle the extreme pV of the TJ.

Hit me up if you have any issues - the TJ's a tad finicky to set up with proper glass, but once you do - it's a brute!!

Rock on!!

Ruby 6550 are great, I just never got the KT88 from Bogner or Sweetwater like I ordered so I can't compare which I like better.

Regardless, I can tell the 6550 helped make it a bit tighter with some head room that I like, channel 2 is unique compared to my other amps so it's a nice addition.

But this is not worth $2900 IMO, no midi, 3/4 channels and other features like other 3k amps really kill the value. The mid and treble knobs are just plain annoying but great if you want players to actually listen for the tone they want. But my God, what was the reasoning for this reversal of innovation functions (mid is up like treble and treble down like mid)?

Back