Uberschall Revision Comparison Thread

Well, the Rev2 with the mesa cab sounded very tight aggressive more trebly and very punchy.
But I still prefer the uberkab with X patt.

It's been a while since I've written anything on the Uberschall family. Lately, I've thrown some Sovtek KT88s back into the Rev 2. I've got to say, this has been my favorite combination of any Uberschall I've ever owned or tried. It retains the more organic, 3-D nature of the Rev 2 while eliminating my biggest complaint it has-- the sometimes flubby, out-of-control bass that the EL34s tend to have, especially when not cranked. Adding the tight, scooped, mean, aggressive nature of the KT88s only adds to what this amp should have been equipped with in the first place.

Anyone ever got to compare the Uberschall original to the rev 2, or TJ? I had mine next to My old Rev Blue, and the Rev Blue sounded like a thin whimpering little girls amp in comparison.

The original has much more growl and bite. Really hard to describe with words, the original definitely has a lot more in it than the rev blue. It's like the difference between a modern Mustang GT and the GT350.

- + lightning bolt is my serial #

UberKrankenschtein":2h22w936 said:
Anyone ever got to compare the Uberschall original to the rev 2, or TJ? I had mine next to My old Rev Blue, and the Rev Blue sounded like a thin whimpering little girls amp in comparison.

The original has much more growl and bite. Really hard to describe with words, the original definitely has a lot more in it than the rev blue. It's like the difference between a modern Mustang GT and the GT350.

- + lightning bolt is my serial #
The original is the Rev.2 aka Rev. Green due to its green PCB (amongst other tell-tale build aspects)
The second iteration was the Rev.Blue - blue PCB (amongst other tell-tale build aspects)
Twin Jet - obvious.

- + [lightning] = SN 049

Very early machine man!!! :shocked: :2thumbsup:

I dig the Rev.2 and love the TJ. Rev.Blue is a pass for me.

Peace,
Mo

This one is Reinholds original(first version) vision for the Uberschall, pre rev 2/green, Bogner says only about 100 exist like this(before going rev 2/green), more aggressive, faster taper pots, caps in different locations(not on pcb), no volume on the effects loop, different carry handle, no external/bias points, no support handle on the chassis, made in December 2001.

UberKrankenschtein":16eg4d13 said:
Mine is the original, pre rev 2/green, Bogner says only about 100 exist like this, more aggressive, faster taper pots, caps in different locations etc
Are you saying the original is more aggressive than the rev2/green? Does having the caps in different locations make much of a difference? I think the original is the only version I haven't gotten to try

braintheory":25quornm said:
UberKrankenschtein":25quornm said:
Mine is the original, pre rev 2/green, Bogner says only about 100 exist like this, more aggressive, faster taper pots, caps in different locations etc
Are you saying the original is more aggressive than the rev2/green? Does having the caps in different locations make much of a difference? I think the original is the only version I haven't gotten to try

I have never played a rev 2, so I cannot say this for a fact, I'm going by my communication with Bogner. Some state it seems more aggressive because of the faster taper in the pots. I know it made my rev blue seem like a really poor quality amp in comparison, which is why I wound up selling it after getting this one. The rev blue still destroys most Amps on the market, so that says a lot!

My point was to shed light on the fact that there is one more iteration of the Uberschall we should be talking about in this thread, and at some point to document the actual sound difference, although the originals are very rare.

UberKrankenschtein":15srej7z said:
braintheory":15srej7z said:
UberKrankenschtein":15srej7z said:

I have never played a rev 2, so I cannot say this for a fact, I'm going by my communication with Bogner. Some state it seems more aggressive because of the faster taper in the pots. I know it made my rev blue seem like a really poor quality amp in comparison, which is why I wound up selling it after getting this one. The rev blue still destroys most Amps on the market, so that says a lot!

My point was to shed light on the fact that there is one more iteration of the Uberschall we should be talking about in this thread, and at some point to document the actual sound difference, although the originals are very rare.
I'm really curious now about the sound differences between the rev2 and original. I agree with the others about the Rev Blue being the least impressive. I remember the Twin Jet sounding like the Mesa Rectifiers but more polished/less raw and tighter, but it wasn't my cup of tea. The other Uber I tried I assume was a Rev2 (but could've been an original) and found it way too compressed and overgained (even at slightly passed 9 o' clock the amount of gain was insane) and a bit dark sounding, but it was super forgiving and easy to play (which could also be another reason some guys love em so much) but after reading all these Uberschall threads lately I'd like to give the Rev2 or Original another try

Here's the thread with a little back story on this particular Uberschall.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=168048

I run my gain at noon, or less with most pickups. If the output is lower, I'll turn it up a little, if it's higher I'll turn it down a little. I definitely like amps with gain to spare since I'm a gainiac for sure. I was just playing my Parker Fly on my Uberschall a little while ago and it will crush your bones into dust even with a relatively low output dimarzio and gain at noon.

My Krankenstein runs at about 2 o'clock on the gain for comparison.

UberKrankenschtein":3jlqpnfe said:
Here's the thread with a little back story on this particular Uberschall.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=168048

I run my gain at noon, or less with most pickups. If the output is lower, I'll turn it up a little, if it's higher I'll turn it down a little. I definitely like amps with gain to spare since I'm a gainiac for sure. I was just playing my Parker Fly on my Uberschall a little while ago and it will crush your bones into dust even with a relatively low output dimarzio and gain at noon.

My Krankenstein runs at about 2 o'clock on the gain for comparison.
That sounds about right from what I remember of the Krankenstein. Both amps have TONS of gain on tap

braintheory":1g9ulw8f said:
I'm really curious now about the sound differences between the rev2 and original. I agree with the others about the Rev Blue being the least impressive. I remember the Twin Jet sounding like the Mesa Rectifiers but more polished/less raw and tighter, but it wasn't my cup of tea. The other Uber I tried I assume was a Rev2 (but could've been an original) and found it way too compressed and overgained (even at slightly passed 9 o' clock the amount of gain was insane) and a bit dark sounding, but it was super forgiving and easy to play (which could also be another reason some guys love em so much) but after reading all these Uberschall threads lately I'd like to give the Rev2 or Original another try

This is the basic rundown of the Uberschalls:

Original - Fast gain taper on Gain Channel (some have said almost like an Off/On kind of jump in gain), high plate voltage, good power section compression/sag when pushed, Clean Channel volume slightly lower than Gain Channel by comparison, plastic carry handle (although some Original Uberschalls got the leather handle just prior to transitioning into the Rev2), EL34

Rev2 - Reduced gain taper on Gain Channel (same gain, just more controllable), high plate voltage, good power section compression/sag when pushed, Clean Channel volume slightly lower than Gain Channel by comparison, leather carry handle, EL34

Revision Blue - Same basic gain structure, lower plate voltage, less power section compression/sag when pushed, Clean Channel volume matched closer to Gain Channel, re-design of circuits, addition of Loop volume control, bias test points, power jewel changed to smaller LED type, dedicated design ability to allow power section slaving from an outside source (but this can be accomplished on Original/Rev2 versions), EL34

Twin Jet 1.0 - Gain Channel re-design in a direction towards the Original/Rev2 designs, plate voltage unknown at this time so I can't say, less power section compression (due to the design switch to KT88 power tubes), Clean channel re-do in the direction of a high gain modded Marshall tone with very little ability to get a truly clean sound, addition of power section Presence and Depth controls, KT88

Twin Jet 1.1 - The same as 1.0 but with a modded gain taper on the clean channel, same level of gain available as 1.0 with the ability to go lower gain and clean up better

Now keep in mind, I made up TJ 1.0/1.1 for the purpose of comparison , I don't think Bogner looks at them that way. Bogner does offer to perform the Clean Channel mod for anybody who owns what I call 1.0 at no charge.

These are the main differences I know about. I don't know specific component values between the different versions from a design stand point, but I can say my descriptions above, for the most part, are right on the money by way of research, comparisons and the general consensus from those who have had time with them. The volume difference between the Clean Channel and Gain Channel on the Original and Rev2 seem to be exaggerated. Yes there is a difference, but nothing that can't be fixed by just turning the Clean Channel Volume control up a little more than the Gain Channel volume control. Another words, adjust the amp with you ears, not your eyes.

Yup I have my clean channel at full tilt all the time. This is about equal to the volume of the gain channel at 1/4 volume, which is sufficient for driving the amp and getting great tones

General consensus is that there is no evident sound difference between the rev green and rev 2. Other than the potentiometer for the gain control, they sound identical supposedly. Or, at the very least can be EQ'd to sound identical.

I've heard that there are various small differences between individual specimens of the original Uberschalls- a resistor changed here, a pot changed there. Word has it that Reinhold was experimenting with the very first Uberschalls before finalizing it, culminating in the Rev 2. My understanding as well is that the Rev 2s sound about the same as the originals, but with the different gain taper on Channel 2.

I'm gonna have to pick up a rev 2 to find out at some point it looks like. It will probably be much easier for me to find a rev 2 than someone with a rev 2 to find and buy an original.

What does everyone usually run their gain at for a saturated metal sound for a Rev Green or Blue? Let's say Metallica-ish. What pickups are you using or any settings suggestions? Thanks!

Back