NGD: Diezel VHX and 412 FV

WyvernClaw

I've had the VHX for about 4 months now, I've probably raved enough about it in other threads already so I'll spare another long winded assessment of it unless someone is really curious about my thoughts. However, the cab just showed up today and I never made any sort of proper NGD post about the amp, so figured I'd throw 'em both in here.

The 412 FV is exactly what I wanted. I have a Mesa 412 as well that I love. I didn't want the sound to be too much different so I went with the V30 variant of the Diezel cab, and as expected, it sounds fundamentally the same, but tighter and more focused. I was worried it would be too directional compared to the Mesa with it's rear-loaded, slant design, but the difference is subtle at best so far. Maybe I'd notice it more in a larger room or live venue, but I got this cab so the other guitarist I play with can just use my gear when he visits from the US and as of right now, I have no reservations about the Diezel cab keeping up with the Mesa in terms of sound and projection, which was my main concern. Overall, I've never been happier with my amp set up, and that's saying a lot considering how overjoyed I was with my Engl SE and Mesa cab. They still sound phenomenal, so I'm glad my other guitar player will have an awesome setup too, but the Diezel will definitely be my rig of choice.

20210331_143837.jpg

SO killer!!!!! 🤩

CONGRATZ!!!!!!
Thank you! Would really like to try some of the other models to compare. Herbert MK III is on the top of my list, but I'm intrigued by the Hagen as well, which I've seen you praise quite a lot around here. But it's hard to find anything Diezel, or really much in the way of high end amps in general around here.

Thank you! Would really like to try some of the other models to compare. Herbert MK III is on the top of my list, but I'm intrigued by the Hagen as well, which I've seen you praise quite a lot around here. But it's hard to find anything Diezel, or really much in the way of high end amps in general around here.
Well, bear in mind I also know I'm the oddball around these parts when it comes to the Hagen... It takes time to feel it out, understand it - it's not just plug 'n play instant gratification. And it doesn't hide slop. At all. But what I love about it is the fact that ones technique will totally change the character of the amp - that's where I really love it. So rather than just ham-fisting metal power chords or drop tunings, give it some finesse, play with the guitar volumes other than "everything-on-ten"... It's a deep rich amp.

But that's NOT to hijack this incredible thread - all Diezels are amazing amps, and fine-tuned to their specific niche market ears/players. And ya, while I didn't gel with the Herbert back in the Mk.1 era ages ago - at all whatsoever - the Mk.3 has me intrigued to try it. But by no means am I GASsing - for anything...which is weird to say on a gear forum.

Go kill it with that VHX man, that thing's next level 😆✊🤘
UnkleMo

Well, bear in mind I also know I'm the oddball around these parts when it comes to the Hagen... It takes time to feel it out, understand it - it's not just plug 'n play instant gratification. And it doesn't hide slop. At all. But what I love about it is the fact that ones technique will totally change the character of the amp - that's where I really love it. So rather than just ham-fisting metal power chords or drop tunings, give it some finesse, play with the guitar volumes other than "everything-on-ten"... It's a deep rich amp.

But that's NOT to hijack this incredible thread - all Diezels are amazing amps, and fine-tuned to their specific niche market ears/players. And ya, while I didn't gel with the Herbert back in the Mk.1 era ages ago - at all whatsoever - the Mk.3 has me intrigued to try it. But by no means am I GASsing - for anything...which is weird to say on a gear forum.

Go kill it with that VHX man, that thing's next level 😆✊🤘
UnkleMo
Thanks again! I feel I made the right choice with the VHX as well, so I'm not GASing for anything either. More curious than anything. Sounds like I actually may not enjoy the Hagen so much; I'm a very high gain kinda guy that doesn't like to need a boost/drive pedal of any kind, and I hear conflicting opinions on if even the Herbert MK III needs one or not. But the VHX definitely doesn't for my purposes. The Hagen sounds like it might have a feel to it reminiscent of an unboosted Mesa Rectifier amp, from what I gather from your description. Not really a fan of my Triple without a boost.

Last edited:
Thanks again! I feel I made the right choice with the VHX as well, so I'm not GASing for anything either. More curious than anything. Sounds like I actually may not enjoy the Hagen so much; I'm a very high gain kinda guy that doesn't like to need a boost/drive pedal of any kind, and I hear conflicting opinions on if even the Herbert MK III needs one or not. But the VHX definitely doesn't for my purposes. The Hagen sounds like it might have a feel to it reminiscent of an unboosted Mesa Rectifier amp, from what I gather from your description. Not really a fan of my Triple without a boost.
I don't use boosts - I prefer amps based on what they can do and will do without additional "stuff" up front in the signal chain. But ya man, the VHX is the bomb for the Diezel amps. You've got everything RIGHT there in that amp!!!

Rock TF on!!!

Back