NOISE GATES

None of them have been perfect, but I’ve like best my Highwind Phalanx and Deadweald Golem, both of which are sadly no longer made. I’ve had before a Decimator I & II, NS-2, LWA Endless Blockade, Guul, Fortin Zuul, Donner Sophgate, SMG Cockblocker, Lichtlaerm, Revv G8, KMA Pylon and Atlantic Thelema. I actually also still have a Wizard Gate, but only because I really like the color it adds to my tone with it off seriously lol, especially with my 1972 Marshall SuperLead 100

None of them have been perfect, but I’ve like best my Highwind Phalanx and Deadweald Golem, both of which are sadly no longer made. I’ve had before a Decimator I & II, NS-2, LWA Endless Blockade, Guul, Fortin Zuul, Donner Sophgate, SMG Cockblocker, Lichtlaerm, Revv G8, KMA Pylon and Atlantic Thelema. I actually also still have a Wizard Gate, but only because I really like the color it adds to my tone with it off seriously lol, especially with my 1972 Marshall SuperLead 100
Deadweald just isn't taking orders but they will have some on their store after they finish the wait list in the next week or so.

need one and need suggestions. i've been looking at cheap ones like the Donner SOPHGATE, The Donner Noise Killer, The TC Electronics Sentry. Any Suggestions would be GREAT!
Don't get the Donner. I had one and didn't work great IMO for what I needed it for. I have a Revv and is perfect for my needs.

I like the Joyo Gate of Khan, it's supposedly an ISP decimator clone in a mini enclosure. I've used the NS2 previously and was fine with that but the form factor and performance of the joy is good enough I bought 2 of them.

Have any of you guys tried Revv's gate? I'm pretty happy with my current gate but really I'm not sure I even need one with the Atla and maybe my mark IV. My 6505 on the other hand is a different story

The Sentry is a lot better than the Decimator. I used to have one and it was kinda horrible. The Sentry works great.
Horrible?? Wow. I've had mine since 2009 or so; I literally unplug it and compare and I don't hear a bit of a difference in tone. The Boss NS2, that I tried around the same time shaved a good bit of high end off vs the ISP.
Maybe mine is modded lol? I've never opened it up to see.

Horrible?? Wow. I've had mine since 2009 or so; I literally unplug it and compare and I don't hear a bit of a difference in tone. The Boss NS2, that I tried around the same time shaved a good bit of high end off vs the ISP.
Had both the Decimator I and II pedals over the years. Both added a slight glassy high end. I hate gates!

I'm exaggerating. It's better than the NS-2 for sure. Or the EHX. That one was plain unusable.

I had the 1. It was really slow compared to the Sentry. It was not very transparent either. I'd say it was faster than the NS-2 (marginally), but equally un-transparent, just towards the opposite side of the spectrum. Rather than making everything dull and bassy, it made everything bright and thin.

I once tried recording a DI with it in the chain, and the buffer actually clipped too, LOL.

The 1 was also noisy as hell when you had it in the chain, but turned off.

The Sentry is cool because you can set it to do a lot of stuff, and have the chop stop riffs stop faster and cleaner while playing in front of a loud, raging high-gain amp.

I haven't tried any of the "boutique-y" more up-to-date stuff. But the Sentry IMO is better and is cheaper.

Last edited:
This past Spring I went to a larger pedalboard for one project when it took a more ambient direction.
Wound up with a higher noise floor than I liked.

I got a mini Deci-Mate and it works nicely. Most importantly, there's no audible degradation of my core tone.
This was especially crucial since mine is out in front, not in the loop.
The other thing I appreciate is smart decay - cuts fast when you end abruptly, slower when you let notes tail off.
It was more expensive than the cheap clones (still under $100 used, though) and I'm happy with it.

Have any of you guys tried Revv's gate? I'm pretty happy with my current gate but really I'm not sure I even need one with the Atla and maybe my mark IV. My 6505 on the other hand is a different story
Yes, I returned mine. The Golem and Phalanx are much better. It's hard to remember everything lol, but this is what I posted when I reviewed it on here:
So the G8 came in last week and I returned it. It was better than some other gates I’ve had, but honestly felt the Phalanx & Golem blew it away. The G8 had to me undesirable color/tone suck still, something a bit artificial sounding about the color it added. As a gate itself it was still unnatural in feel and decay on leadwork and couldn’t do the real fast gating like the Golem for that fast stop/start stuff I sometimes want in modern metal. The Phalanx felt light years more natural and preserved much more of the amp’s tone and details. Wasn’t impressed

Last edited:
I hate to ask a dumb question but why did Killswitch engage run their 808's into the loop of a Boss NS2? Was this to gate the pedal & amp at the same time?

1690473518596.png

I wish you didn't put up that site. Sorry for going off topic but this pedal interests me. Anyone have one?

I hate to ask a dumb question but why did Killswitch engage run their 808's into the loop of a Boss NS2? Was this to gate the pedal & amp at the same time?
I guess that would be so that the clean guitar signal would be what triggered the gate open and close. I guess that would make it more accurate/precise than sticking the gate after the OD (not in the loop) because the OD adds noise and compression, thus making the job harder for the gate.

If they didn't have the amp in the loop of the gate, then the gate wouldn't be gating the amp.

I guess that would make the gate better for the staccato stop riffs, but wouldn't do anything at all for an amp's high-gain hiss.

I currently do not have a gate in my " portfolio " ...... sorry .....

I could bang one out in a few weeks ..... but I have to know or think I can sell at least 10 of them for me to do a run .

and they would be at least 100 smackeroos plus shipping
Can you make one that blocks out all my shitty playing?

Back