OK, recommend me a pickup

Be aware that the Custom's high-end is more sizzly. It still has a nice upper-mid push, but not as emphatic as the JB. But I fear that if you're starting to feel the JB is too bright, then the Custom will be an icepick.

It is however much less stuffy in the low mids than the JB. So it will definitely come off as more open. Maybe even clearer.

Same as the Distortion, but the EQ on the Distortion less extreme on both ends than the Custom.

To me, the Distortion sounds like a JB that's been fine-tuned for heavier tones. So if you like the JB, just want something different but along those lines, the Distortion is it. The Custom is its own thing.
You know I was considering the Distortion. I've used them before with really good results in one guitar and then terrible results in another guitar... but It may have been wired wrong?? I do like the JB, just wish it was suited a little better for metal. This may be the ticket??

You know I was considering the Distortion. I've used them before with really good results in one guitar and then terrible results in another guitar... but It may have been wired wrong?? I do like the JB, just wish it was suited a little better for metal. This may be the ticket??
A Distortion is a JB wind with a double thick ceramic magnet instead of the A5. Midrange is similar to the JB, but it has a slightly bigger, but tighter low end and more top end. Distortion is a classic pickup for metal.

A Distortion is a JB wind with a double thick ceramic magnet instead of the A5. Midrange is similar to the JB, but it has a slightly bigger, but tighter low end and more top end. Distortion is a classic pickup for metal.
Ya, I think this is what I'm getting. I want something in the same ballpark as a JB just with a bit more of a metal edge to it, hope it's just as clear sounding in the treble frequencies?

Ya, I think this is what I'm getting. I want something in the same ballpark as a JB just with a bit more of a metal edge to it, hope it's just as clear sounding in the treble frequencies?

A ToneNerd Whiskey with the higher winds, maybe? It's a better sounding JB for sure

I started with the Distortion when I first started playing…then started to not like the brightness and sounds like crap backed off. Ended up switching to the JB at some point. Now it is pretty much all I use. But mine are very old, new ones sound different.

I started with the Distortion when I first started playing…then started to not like the brightness and sounds like crap backed off. Ended up switching to the JB at some point. Now it is pretty much all I use. But mine are very old, new ones sound different.
Well, I rarely back off the volume on my guitars. I'm full on all the time basically. The brightness concerns me a bit, but if it ain't working for me i'll just put the JB back in.

I already ordered the sh-6 distortion. Hope it stays in my guitar. My reasoning is the distortion is basically a JB with a ceramic magnet, right? and I think i'm more into ceramic magnet pickups than alnico. Out of all the pickups I've tried and liked the ceramic magnets win every time, even with EMG's. like the 81 and the 57. I prefer the 81 cause it doesn't have as much of that high end noise that bothers me... it's like a congestion in the presence frequencies that makes the pickup less defined and articulate... the 57 has that and it bugs the shit out of me. It's because it's based on a PAF I think?

Well, I rarely back off the volume on my guitars. I'm full on all the time basically. The brightness concerns me a bit, but if it ain't working for me i'll just put the JB back in.
You might like it. To me it sounds like playing the guitar with a screwdriver. 😁

Its funny my oldest JB was wound by MJ. One coil died and it needed rewound…sent it in and hust got it back. It was again wound by MJ. Pretty cool.

I already ordered the sh-6 distortion. Hope it stays in my guitar. My reasoning is the distortion is basically a JB with a ceramic magnet, right? and I think i'm more into ceramic magnet pickups than alnico. Out of all the pickups I've tried and liked the ceramic magnets win every time, even with EMG's. like the 81 and the 57. I prefer the 81 cause it doesn't have as much of that high end noise that bothers me... it's like a congestion in the presence frequencies that makes the pickup less defined and articulate... the 57 has that and it bugs the shit out of me. It's because it's based on a PAF I think?
Alot of people claim it's.the same, but either Duncan's specs are incorrect or it's a different wind. They advertise them both as a 5.5k resonant peak, but that's impossible if using the same wind but different magnet. The ferrous content of ALNICO adds the inductance of a pickup coil whereas a C5 or C8 magnet has negligible affect on the inductance. Inductance and coil capacitance determine the resonant peak. The only way possible for a pickup to have the same resonant peak with ALNICO vs Ceramic would be to be wound different to add capacitance to the ceramic. I suspect their posted specs are wrong and they're the same winds, since that typically what SD does is like what's seen in the custom line and use the same wind with different magnet. That said, the Duncan Distortion would have a higher resonant peak than the JB if wound the same

Alot of people claim it's.the same, but either Duncan's specs are incorrect or it's a different wind. They advertise them both as a 5.5k resonant peak, but that's impossible if using the same wind but different magnet. The ferrous content of ALNICO adds the inductance of a pickup coil whereas a C5 or C8 magnet has negligible affect on the inductance. Inductance and coil capacitance determine the resonant peak. The only way possible for a pickup to have the same resonant peak with ALNICO vs Ceramic would be to be wound different to add capacitance to the ceramic. I suspect their posted specs are wrong and they're the same winds, since that typically what SD does is like what's seen in the custom line and use the same wind with different magnet. That said, the Duncan Distortion would have a higher resonant peak than the JB if wound the same
How much higher of a resonant peak are we talking? I sure hope it's not icepick city with the Duncan Distortion. I was looking at the tone graph and it's labeled something like 5/8/9 I think? That's brighter than the Dimebucker which is a 8 on the treble end. But I don't remember the Distortion being that bright, I've had them in a couple guitars before. I do remember the Dimebucker being very bright.

How much higher of a resonant peak are we talking? I sure hope it's not icepick city with the Duncan Distortion. I was looking at the tone graph and it's labeled something like 5/8/9 I think? That's brighter than the Dimebucker which is a 8 on the treble end. But I don't remember the Distortion being that bright, I've had them in a couple guitars before. I do remember the Dimebucker being very bright.
It's not brighter. Their EQ curves are a starting point, but rarely match up.

No way the Distortion is as bright as the Dimebucker. The Dimebucker barely has any metal in it, so the inductance is super low. I've had both. The Dimebucker almost kinda sounds like a super hot tele pickup, IMO.

No way the Distortion is as bright as the '59B either.

The Distortion is brigh, but I'm sure you'll like it, because it's also got some low-end heft. I love that pickup. It's the first passive that I really bonded with. I had been an EMG user for years up unitl I tried the Distortion, and that made me rip out all my actives and get passives. Nowadays, I'm back with actives, but I still keep some passives around for when the mood strikes.

If you do find the Distortion too bright, I tell you, try the Black Winter. It's not as sizzly. It's kinda like a JB EQ curve, but the voicing is kinda different (and it's much hotter). The high-mids are also emphatic, but they're kinda more attacky. The low-mids aren't as stuffy, but they still dirty-sounding and full of character. The low-end is faster and tighter.

Last edited:
No, it shouldn't be too bright The ceramic magnet should compensate for that. My Psykes pickup is at 6k resonant peak, 1.1k higher than then whiskey but has lots of lows and low mids and sounds darker

So i've tried the Duncan JB and the Distortion now and I really like them both quite a bit, I got the distortion in the guitar right now so it's probably gonna stay there for a while. It's definitely a little more aggressive than the JB.

So i've tried the Duncan JB and the Distortion now and I really like them both quite a bit, I got the distortion in the guitar right now so it's probably gonna stay there for a while. It's definitely a little more aggressive than the JB.
Yeah, I love both the JB and the Distortion when they're paired in the right guitars. I've had similar results like you have where the Distortion worked great in one guitar and just didn't click for me in the next one. It seems like it does walk a fine line where brightness is concerned, if the guitar tends to be a bit on the bright side naturally then the Distortion can be a bit much, at least for my taste.
The pickup that I found a while back that really satisified my desire to have a JB style of tone but without some of the negative attributes was the Duncan Alternative 8 pickup. It's got an alnico 8 magnet in it, has plenty of output without feeling overbearing. Nice top end that feels a bit smoother and sweeter, and doesn't have the harsh upper-mid spike that the JB can have. In a lot of ways the Alternative 8 feels to me like my "alternate universe" version of a JB, if that makes sense? So for future reference that might be a good one to check out too.

Try the Black Winter next when you have the chance! Another pickup in the same family, just different.

And the Gibson 500T.

Yeah, I love both the JB and the Distortion when they're paired in the right guitars. I've had similar results like you have where the Distortion worked great in one guitar and just didn't click for me in the next one. It seems like it does walk a fine line where brightness is concerned, if the guitar tends to be a bit on the bright side naturally then the Distortion can be a bit much, at least for my taste.
The pickup that I found a while back that really satisified my desire to have a JB style of tone but without some of the negative attributes was the Duncan Alternative 8 pickup. It's got an alnico 8 magnet in it, has plenty of output without feeling overbearing. Nice top end that feels a bit smoother and sweeter, and doesn't have the harsh upper-mid spike that the JB can have. In a lot of ways the Alternative 8 feels to me like my "alternate universe" version of a JB, if that makes sense? So for future reference that might be a good one to check out too.
The upper mid spike of the JB doesn't bother me at all, I kinda dig it. It could be a bit tighter on the low end though. I'll look into the alternative 8 sometime for sure.

Try the Black Winter next when you have the chance! Another pickup in the same family, just different.

And the Gibson 500T.
Ya, that pickup (black winter) was next on my list. I'll probably try one out if I ever get bored of this Distortion or JB, or get another guitar to put it in... actually I was thinking about taking out the EMG's in my Yamaha RGX, so right there is my opportunity.

Back