Pickup for bigger sound?

PSGuitar

Hey guys,

I have a black all mahogany PRS McCarty. I am using a Wolfetone Timbrewolf in the bridge position. If sounds good but I want this guitar to be a big thicker and bigger sounding.

The neck McCarty pickup is too dark and muffled but ok when clean.

I do like the timberwolf but I think it worked better in my Les Paul where I loved it.

What about a Tremonti Bridge pickup or Suhr Aldrich for the bridge?

Update - this pickup will actually go into a 2001 PRS Singlecut which is mahogany with a maple top.

Attachments

• 20221024_121327.jpg
    20221024_121327.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
It's so subjective and dependent on your goals and what you think sounds and feels good..
Since a Les Paul is all Mahogany, maybe find out what sounds good in those. (y)

I’ve had the Tremonti in one of my guitars for a few days now. It’s a Les Paul type of guitar but has a maple top, so not exactly like yours. I really dig it so far. It’s a big sounding pickup that has enough string separation to maintain a some clarity. It’s not Bare Knuckle alnico warpig level thickness, but it’s thick enough without sounding bloated. My experience with the Aldrich was underwhelming, but that was in a different guitars so I can’t compare directly. I know others dig it, though.

Hey guys,

I have a black all mahogany PRS McCarty. I am using a Wolfetone Timbrewolf in the bridge position. If sounds good but I want this guitar to be a big thicker and bigger sounding.

I do like the timberwolf but I think it worked better in my Les Paul where I loved it.

Aldrich was going to be my first choice. Actually, it might be a perfect fit for a JB.

Hey guys,

I’ve never played the Timbre wolf, but looking at the space left on the bobbins it would have to be 44awg wire. 15k of 44awg is actually not as high output as you’d imaging and your not getting enough winds to fill the bobbin. Generally speaking, the fatter the bobbin the more low end you can get. I’m guessing no more than ~6500 or so winds. Winds determines output, not the resistance. To put thing is perspective all of my bridge pickups have more winds than that. My Sunset Strip uses bigger wire, 43awg and is 7000 winds coming in at 14.4K. My pickups would be hotter.

How do you like your top end and clarity?

The Suhr Aldrich will fatten up your tone. I feel the bottom end is emphasized and can be a bit loose for my liking, but also feel the tops ends is a compressed, but that works great for those juicy leads. If you like thick and compressed. It’s a good choice.

My Roxy will have a tighter more immediate lowend but is more open and breathes more in the upper mids and top end.

My wicked 8 is 14.4K with and ALNICO 8. Strength of a ceramic, tone of an ALNICO. It’s more of everything. Huge in anything while again have an open clarity and cleans up great

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ci3kqqopcmd/?igshid=ZWFiZDJlMTg=

It's so subjective and dependent on your goals and what you think sounds and feels good..
Since a Les Paul is all Mahogany, maybe find out what sounds good in those. (y)
Thanks for your comments!
A Les Paul actually has a maple top - at least most do. I've never had an all mahogany LP.
I've had lots of LPs and they have all had a mahogany ad maple top. I have a handful of PRS guitars that are also mahogany with maple top. I've had all mahogany SGs, since they don't have maple tops, but this is my first all mahogany guitar since my SGs which are both sold. SGs are also much thinner.

This McCarty, unlike my LPs, is solid mahogany with no maple top and is almost 10 lbs.

I find non weight relieved guitars so t sound as loud acoustically, but are very focused with good sustain. Solid mahogany tends to have a good growl, where my LPs have a different sound, more balanced.

Last edited:
Reactions: ccn
Tha ka guys, food stuff that I have to read thru again.
I do love the Aldrich.
Tone Nerd looks great... Thanks for the info.
There are so many components to a pickup that in the end I never care if it's Alnico, Ceramic or whatever since I'm the end it's the sum of all the parts. I have ceramic pickups that are warmer and fatter than anything I've used in 35 years.

My PRS Dragons are super far, smooth and dark. Nothing harsh with any ceramic I've owned. I think I've had more Alncio pickups that were harsh, than ceramic.

A Les Paul actually has a maple top - at least most do. I've never had an all mahogany LP.
I've had lots of LPs and they have all had a mahogany ad maple top. I have a handful of PRS guitars that are also mahogany with maple top. I've had all mahogany SGs, since they don't have maple tops, but this is my first all mahogany guitar since my SGs which are both sold. SGs are also much thinner.

This McCarty, unlike my LPs, is solid mahogany with no maple top and is almost 10 lbs.

I find non weight relieved guitars so t sound as loud acoustically, but are very focused with good sustain. Solid mahogany tends to have a good growl, where my LPs have a different sound, more balanced.
Good point. What does Angus use??

Back