Pickup for bridge in a LP?

JTyson

So I'm on a pup hunt, looking at all the stuff out there, and reviewing James Lugo's EPIC pup shootout from a few years ago. Looking for a uncompressed bridge pup with no harshness on top, and tight on the bottom with killer mids. My magic number for output seems to hover between 8.5 and 11 DC resistance, but I realize there's more to it than that. I'm also a vol knob guy, so I need it to clean up reasonably well,which is a bit of a challenge with a hotter winding. I use high gain tones, but not saturated to the point of being ridiculous. My modded Marshalls have way more than enough gain, some of them have so much its insane. I'm way more concerned with clarity and punch with no harsh top end. I've already had a set of Aldrich's, and they were slightly more compressed than I was hoping for (I know everyone loves them) so I can rule them out.
What say you guys??

Rebel Yell FTW. Hotter than what your magic number is but definitely doesn't feel or sound like it.

Wolfetone Marshallhead. An OX4 high wind is great. Don't let teh DC fool you. It rips and grinds when pushed and the clarity is excellent. Non potted and it's quiet.

I love the Duncan Distortion in most everything but I have one Les Paul with a 2nd Degree Black Belt set. Simply amazing. Really great, open tone. Love them

20150509_221750.jpg

Invader

glip22":1muyelue said:
Wolfetone Marshallhead. An OX4 high wind is great. Don't let teh DC fool you. It rips and grinds when pushed and the clarity is excellent. Non potted and it's quiet.
This is what I was thinking. Open, clear sounding pickup with moderate output.

I've got a Detroiter in one LP and a Godwood in another. Both are awesome pickups. Similar output. GW is very balanced and the Detroiter has very aggresive mids. Both warm and tight. Can't go wrong with either.

Anyone have issue's with non-potted feedback at high gain?
I appreciate the info guys, seriously looking at the 2nd Degree Blackbelts, do they clean up well when rolled back??
Also the Godwoods and the Marshallhead, I think the Godwoods would clean up when rolled back, but what about the Marshallheads??
They dont have to be super clean, but if I have a choice, I'd like at least decent clean.
I use my vol knob constantly :yes:
Thanks!! :rock:

CaseyCor":6olecusq said:
glip22":6olecusq said:
Which one? The OX4 HW or the Marshallhead?

OP. You can spend about 2K trying out our suggestions :LOL: :LOL: These usualy go about as bad as an Overdrive thread.

Marshallhead was better to me than the GW. Better in the mids. The GW got more feedback. and was more blah.The OX4 was great with feedback and non potted. It's in the winding technique. Mark has it down. Rolph is another that winds a quiet np pickup.

AmpliFIRE":s4tegkeb said:
Rebel Yell FTW. Hotter than what your magic number is but definitely doesn't feel or sound like it.
Rolls off well??
I had not considered that one :doh:

glip22":2qt1snv2 said:
OP. You can spend about 2K trying out our suggestions :LOL: :LOL: These usualy go about as bad as an Overdrive thread.

Marshallhead was better to me than the GW. Better in the mids. The GW got more feedback. and was more blah.The OX4 was great with feedback and non potted. It's in the winding technique. Mark has it down. Rolph is another that winds a quite np pickup.
Yeah, I've done that a time or two, was trying to nail it down more this time to avoid that very thing ;)

JTyson":7ah0iadi said:
CaseyCor":7ah0iadi said:
glip22":7ah0iadi said:
The Marshallhead.
http://www.wolfetone.com/marshallhead.html#

Check out Rio Grande pickups. I think you'll dig the BBQ and the Crunchbox. They have some PAF style pickups that might be up your alley as well.

I also dig GFS pickups. They are really cheap, which turns some people off, but the models I've had sound great. I've got a GFS Crunchy Rails in my semi-hollow. It's been in there for years. Sounds great. Too much output for you I think, but they've got some lower output stuff. You can find their humbucker sized stuff here: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized_c_578.html

If you decide to try out a GFS and don't like it, you're only out around $40. Can't beat the price on these, and they do sound great. I've got one of their Mean P90s, and I like it a lot.

JTyson":xfxciyg3 said:
CaseyCor":xfxciyg3 said:
glip22":xfxciyg3 said:
If I were to choose one it would be the OX4 high wind but I have and like the Marshallhead.If I wanted a little more aggressive go with the Wolfe.

Back