Pickups don't change the tone

This actually might be the dumbest fucking thing Glenn Fricker has ever said, which is a terrifying prospect, honestly.

You can literally try a somnium guitar and HEAR the difference in pickups without changing anything else.
When it comes to this shit, people will quickly default to "well, he got you to click!". That is when it really devolves to the most disgusting of trash content.

Videos like that are one of many reasons why I unsubscribed to that channel a while back (and recommend everyone to do so) and everytime it gives me a video as part of a search result, I click on "Don't recommend channel".

He used to post creative videos that were educational and fun to watch, then changed his style and he got ANGRY.. and he's pisst off at the whole world and every musician out there who likes their own tone.

No one is allowed to have their own opinion with Glen. You like vintage 30s? you're an idiot and are not original. You changed your tubes in your amp? you wasted your money and it makes no tone difference (look at the Pete Thorn tubes video with Friedman).. and now this.

At this point, its all click material and views for him.. cause anyone sees a video with that title they're gonna say "oh.. i gotta watch this stupidity" and there we go, one more click/view. 🤦‍♂️

If you can't hear the difference between these pickups (which are all relatively similar, by the way)

You shouldn't be pontificating about tone because your ears aren't listening

Listen to Godwood vs ToneNerdery vs Icebucker by Daniel Travis on #SoundCloud

There is something to be said about playing with "'tude"
Adam Jones said Joe Barresi got him to focus on attitude when playing and magick happened while tracking 10K Days.

Action/Attitude/Condition are your state of being.

Glen isn’t perfect and anyone with some degree of self knowing can tell the man has problems. No excuse for the nonsense opinions, however.

He just needs to smoke a bowl and look at what he’s doing. If that doesn’t work, stronger psychedelics.

If he knew better he wouldn’t do it.

Last edited:
Adam Jones said Joe Barresi got him to focus on attitude when playing and magick happened while tracking 10K Days.

Action/Attitude/Condition are your state of being.

Glen isn’t perfect and anyone with some degree of self knowing can tell the man has problems. No excuse for the nonsense opinions, however.

He just needs to smoke a bowl and look at what he’s doing. If that doesn’t work, stronger psychedelics.

If he knew better he wouldn’t do it.
I like one really good Saison and like 1 pinch hit of good stuff

I didn't click the link. Hopefully those that did have learned a lesson. This is the only way to make him go away.

So I jumped on the grenade and watched the video so you don't have to, because I wanted to see what he's really saying.

The first thing he does is show you one of those gimmick guitars with quick-swap pickup slots in the back where you put a humbucker in a little harness thing and it sticks in the guitar with magnets, and then he proceeds with a "pickup shootout" between 3 pickup types in that guitar, an Alnico V humbucker, a Ceramic humbucker, and a P90, where the differences are crazy obvious but WHOA he pulls a fast one and waits until the end of the test to tell you that he also changed the cabs he's using with every test, and sets the whole thing up like a "you're an idiot for believing me, you sheep" gotcha.

Then he does another "test" where he only uses one cab.. but GOTCHA HAHAHAHA different mics you FUCKING IDIOT HAHA WHOA YABURNT.

Then he does another "test" where he uses the same cab and mic but WATCH OUT, THIS TIME he uses a dynamount thing to change the mic positions of his SM57 HAHAHA YABURNT AGAIN YOU GOD DAMN RETARD. YOU FOOL. YOU IMBICILE. I AM SMART AND HILARIOUS.

Then he finally does the real test where he actually does just compare the pickups, where the differences are still blindingly obvious, after which he scoffs that it wasn't "that much" of a difference, even though it seriously, very much was that much of a difference. Again, he's using a gained-the-fuck-out 5150 tone and that gimmick magnet pickup swap guitar, so of course the differences are going to be relatively more subtle than with other rigs, or more subtle than with straight up mic or cab changes, but even still, the pickup changes were absolutely apparent.

To summarize, he's being a deliberately misleading, gaslighting cunt. Like usual.

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious that pickups don't change the tone, especially when you make everything sound like a 5150 through V30's miced with a SM57 in post.

Besides, with his head so far up his ass I'm sure everything sounds the same to him.

So I jumped on the grenade and watched the video so you don't have to, because I wanted to see what he's really saying.

The first thing he does is a "pickup shootout" where the differences are crazy obvious but WHOA he pulls a fast one and doesn't tell you he also changes the cabs he's using with every test. He tells you about immediately afterwards but sets the whole thing up like a "you're an idiot for believing me, you sheep."

Then he does another "test" where he only uses one cab.. but GOTCHA HAHAHAHA different mics you FUCKING IDIOT WHOA YABURNT.

Then he does another "test" where he uses the same cab and mic but WATCH OUT, THIS TIME he uses a dynamo to change the mic positions of his SM57 HAHAHA YABURNT AGAIN YOU GOD DAMN RETARD. YOU FOOL. YOU IMBICILE. I AM SMART AND HILARIOUS.

Then he finally does the real test where he actually does just compare the pickups, then he sarcastically scoffs that it doesn't make "that much" of a difference. Again, he's using a gained-the-fuck-out 5150 tone and some gimmick guitar where you can instantly swap pickups in and out from the back of it with magnets, so of course the differences are going to be relatively more subtle than with other rigs, with mic or cab changes, but even still, they were absolutely apparent.

To summarize, he's being a deliberately misleading, gaslighting cunt. Like usual.
That whole act of fishing those gotcha moments trying to look all "scientific" just proves that he's still mentally in elementary school.

I came away from the above video more confused than ever lol. Seemed like all did the job very admirably . I went through a ton of pickups for my Les Paul and in the end I ended up putting back what the damn guitar came with . What a waste of time and money that was .

I have no doubt pickups can change the sound of a guitar to a point , the thing I was bummed out about is none of the famous pickups I tried changed it enough for me to really notice . They were all just so close. Spending $100.00 + for something that I can barely notice isn't worth it to me. Better off going with a different amp or other sound shaping device.

Back