Post Your Favorite Live Solo Spot

gibson5413

The recent Randy Rhodes soundboard post got me thinking about my favorite live solo spots for players I love. As much as I love EVH and Randy I would have to say my very favorite live solo spot is from John Petrucci from Dream Theater's Images and Words tour on To Live Forever. For me, I would so much rather see and hear a solo in the context of a song than just have a player just shred for several minutes. Don't get me wrong...there are some shred moments but the ability to hjave the solo lead by melody and context is so much more satisfying to me.

What are your favorites?

Go to 4:51 to listen...

The recent Randy Rhodes soundboard post got me thinking about my favorite live solo spots for players I love. As much as I love EVH and Randy I would have to say my very favorite live solo spot is from John Petrucci from Dream Theater's Images and Words tour on To Live Forever. For me, I would so much rather see and hear a solo in the context of a song than just have a player just shred for several minutes. Don't get me wrong...there are some shred moments but the ability to hjave the solo lead by melody and context is so much more satisfying to me.

What are your favorites?

Go to 4:51 to listen...

I always thought Dream Theater was WAY cooler when John Petrucci didn't look like a weightlifting 65 year old lumberjack...and played the Ibanez guitars.

I always thought Dream Theater was WAY cooler when John Petrucci didn't look like a weightlifting 65 year old lumberjack...and played the Ibanez guitars.

My first live DT show was at The Al Rosa Villa in Columbus on the Images and Words tour. Pull Me Under had just started getting radio airplay. More like a big bar than a small club. That was an experience!

My first live DT show was at The Al Rosa Villa in Columbus on the Images and Words tour. Pull Me Under had just started getting radio airplay. More like a big bar than a small club. That was an experience!
I been there slot . Dime was killed there too

King Crimson Level 5
Blew my mind when I heard it the first time.
starts around 5:00

Last edited:
Back