PRS Archon 100, is it a good amp for modern metal?

MrSauce85

I'm after tones in the vein of stuff like Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Chimaira, Devildriver... but with that said, I also like things like Black Label Society, older Metallica, Van Halen George Lynch type stuff. I was curious if this amp could get me there

Also, is it capable of getting the stones at reasonable volume levels aka loud TV volumes... there will be times I can open it up but for the most part I'm going to have to keep it at non-nuclear volume levels

I have one. Personally, I LOVE it but it may not be for everyone. One of the things I like the most is independent master for both channels.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily the best amp for the money. Personally, I would recommend a 5150 III over the Archon - though the 50 watt has this annoying issue with volume difference between the clean and dirty channels. The cab makes a large difference for the Archon as well.

Run a volume pedal through the effects loop and you can run it full open and have low volume.

This is a pretty good review

Another one that has a 5150 III vs Archon

It's a great amp for modern metal, and the master volume works extremely well. I wouldn't count on it doing spot-on VH or Lynch tones, however. Although you can swap the stock 6L6s out for EL34s, the voicing will still be more American/Mesa than British/Marshall.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I should have mentioned that my playing, although I like older Styles, will be more focused on more modern stuff. I recently had the chance to jam through the EVH 5150 III 100w and it was absolutely crushing at every volume, even at volumes I could easily talk over so I was wondering if this amp could do the same or better.

It absolutely can. Ever since I got my archon 100 my roadster and rectoverb 25 have collected dust. The master volume on the thing is one of the best I've used. It can produce great tones at volume levels my 3 month old can sleep through being one wall away! It can easily cover 80s metal with the gain at less than 9 o'clock and can get downright dirty at higher gain levels. The clean channel is one of the best you can get on a high gain amp and responds to pedals quite well as a bonus. I can see this amp being very cab picky though. I currently have it paired through a mesa 2x12 vert and it sounds great!

It's the PRS take on the Recto/Uber sound.

For modern metal... I'd just get an Uberschall as it sounds better overall and is more tweak-able. Also the MV on the Uber is better for low volumes.

For VH, Lynch, or other '80s stuff I'd go with a modified Marshall... definitely not the Archon. Even a DSL or JVM would be far better suited.

Well, I can't afford an uberschall at the moment. The wife agreed to let me get something under 2000 but I want to buy new so this is looking pretty good for me. Had a budget closer to 3.5 k but the wife talked me out of it in favor of putting extra cash towards savings to buy a house which I can't argue with. I think 2K is more than enough to get a really good amp.

andross182, that's exactly what I will be playing through... It just came in a few weeks ago and is patiently waiting for a head. I figured a 4x12 would be a little bit much for my needs anyway

MrSauce85":1j0k2en7 said:
Well, I can't afford an uberschall at the moment. The wife agreed to let me get something under 2000 but I want to buy new so this is looking pretty good for me. Had a budget closer to 3.5 k but the wife talked me out of it in favor of putting extra cash towards savings to buy a house which I can't argue with. I think 2K is more than enough to get a really good amp.

andross182, that's exactly what I will be playing through... It just came in a few weeks ago and is patiently waiting for a head. I figured a 4x12 would be a little bit much for my needs anyway

Why new? Used can save you up to 50 percent. The things that usually go wrong with tube amps happens to all of them and usually falls outside warranty claims.

With used amps 2k can get you almost anything. Hell TWO for $1000 and your backup is built in.

Food for thought.

However I understand if you just HAVE to have new.

moltenmetalburn":2g8sdymx said:
MrSauce85":2g8sdymx said:

Why new? Used can save you up to 50 percent. The things that usually go wrong with tube amps happens to all of them and usually falls outside warranty claims.

With used amps 2k can get you almost anything. Hell TWO for $1000 and your backup is built in.

Food for thought.

However I understand if you just HAVE to have new.

+1 to all of this.

This is the best I've heard from the Archon yet, besides the Tremonti video. I haven't come across one yet but really want to try it out.

Yes, for my very first tube amp, I'd like it to be brand new. I know there's a lot of used gear out there to be had for that much and I can probably get two heads for the same price of an archon brand new. But new is the route I'm choosing to go

The Blackmore, the Invader, the Fireball 100, the EVH 5150, the D-moll, and now the Archon?

You need to just roll with one dude or by the time you finally think your ready to pull the trigger, there will 6 more amps to spend 3 months researching :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though man, all of the amps you've been asking about have great master volumes and will sound pretty damn good at bedroom volumes.

Just pick the one that offers the features you want in your price point.

And I know your dead set on new, but you can get great used amps at a fraction of the cost new.

Lol I know man, it never hurts to gather insight though and it will still most likely be the fireball 100. I'm just gather opinions on good gear, that's all.

Archon is a KILLER KILLER AMP!
I owned 2 of them and currently looking for a 3rd if I come across the right deal.
Great from rock to 80's metal to Modern metal.

I'm seriously thinking about one too. I hadn't given them much thought until I was looking for Dimebucker videos but it sounds pretty kick ass.

Has anybody played both the 50 and 100? I don't need 100 watts but wouldn't want to sacrifice sound or feel. The 50's can be had pretty cheap used.

GregM":39fd98wh said:
I'm seriously thinking about one too. I hadn't given them much thought until I was looking for Dimebucker videos but it sounds pretty kick ass.

Has anybody played both the 50 and 100? I don't need 100 watts but wouldn't want to sacrifice sound or feel. The 50's can be had pretty cheap used.
Yeah, this vid is a great example of what a nicely produced Archon sound is like. It's got all the fluid sound, beef, and clank a modern amp should.
-edit: notice he's also using what looks like a Fractal FX8?

Well Something always came up in trades. :LOL: :LOL:
I guess I never worried since there are a lot of Archons out there. Pretty easy to replace.

But man I only have one more amp to get back in my stable and its an Archon. Nothing else. ;)

Back