Purchase suggestion: Synergy system

The Hoff

I don’t usually post these kinds of topics. Just want your personal thoughts.

I have been trying to keep my collection at three amps (clean/medium/high gain). Currently that means a Ceriatone JM for clean, Ceriatone Yeti 50 (kruse modded) for medium, and a Mesa Mark III for high gain. All GREAT tones. But...

The consideration: get all my sounds out of one rig with the synergy system.

I’m thinking about offing the yeti and Mark III and turning my JM rig into a wet/dry system and adding a syn-2 system into it so I can switch in those modules for my other tones. My thought is-I’ll be able to buy modules periodically and depending on my needs-have all the sounds in the one rig.

I don’t usually hesitate so much and don’t typically require much input but I’d appreciate some. What would your thoughts be?

To add a wrench into it all-I’m also considering adding a BE-50 deluxe to replace the yeti (once they hit the used market) but wouldn’t do that if I did the synergy route. Although I hesitate with that too. The yeti is a seriously great piece of gear.

Synergy does look tempting. I'm not sure if I need anything they have now, but a BB-BE mod is supposed to come out which would be fun, as is an Engl. I'm sure their SLO is awesome as well.

Ok, this reply helps no one, lol. I want synergy and I also want your Yeti, but I have no gear money left.

Really? So the module will do Buxom Betty and BE in one module? Basically like the BE deluxe but without the HBE mode? I hadn’t heard that. That would be great!

Salvation Mods does a Cameron module which is similar to the Yeti, they have a Dumble module available too.

IMO,having done the Randall RM thing,when all that changes is the preamp section there isn't a whole lot of feel/tonal changes that comes from the power section when the amp is cranked.

The advantages to all the different heads I own(for me anyway)is that they all have a truly different feel when cranked. The Diezels are different than the Peters,different than the KSR,than the Marshalls/VHT/Mesa...etc. I didn't find that to be true when running the different preamp thru the RM rig. Maybe the Synergy setup will be different. But a lot of the different amp builders offer a different take in their power section. Then again,maybe I just didn't like the RMs power section.

Don't get me wrong,the Synergy rig looks cool to me. I would love to try one.

Although the concept is attractive, the weird thing i notice with today’s electric gtr mentality and i’m included in this catagory is the desire for maximum versatility over a distinct unique personalized signature tone. what tone best defines YOU? find and refine THAT.

multi channels, elaborate racks and and gargantuan pedalboards that make everyone sound the same.
i can’t remember hearing a modern player and being able to identify them due to their tone.

have one gtr/tyler-and one amp/peacemaker, and have a hafler/bogner triple giant i’ve been using, and the feel of a good amp head still outshines preamp/poweramp rig

modellers are a rung below that in feel having recently played a kemper in a studio against a be-100 and a fender combo

have multiple rack units but generally leave each unit on one setting
tons of pedals but no board. just grab one as i see fit.

rottingcorpse":3086ovli said:
IMO,having done the Randall RM thing,when all that changes is the preamp section there isn't a whole lot of feel/tonal changes that comes from the power section when the amp is cranked.

The advantages to all the different heads I own(for me anyway)is that they all have a truly different feel when cranked. The Diezels are different than the Peters,different than the KSR,than the Marshalls/VHT/Mesa...etc. I didn't find that to be true when running the different preamp thru the RM rig. Maybe the Synergy setup will be different. But a lot of the different amp builders offer a different take in their power section. Then again,maybe I just didn't like the RMs power section.

Don't get me wrong,the Synergy rig looks cool to me. I would love to try one.

I think you hit the Nail on the head ,a Vox needs an el84 to get its tone
basically what they are trying to do is get 99% of the tone from the mods but thats not always possible , it will work better with some than others

If you go the amp route its also freaking expensive 50watt head unloaded 2200 , so $3000 with 2 mods
if you want the Freidman sound by HIS amp for $500 more or a Runt for half the price .

Their competition is too strong IMO at that price point even Mesa Tc50 1899 ,3 channels , solo boost , midi ,direct out , reverb on all 3 channels , 3 power tube options and made in USA.

The Hoff":3j46l8l7 said:
I don’t usually post these kinds of topics. Just want your personal thoughts.

I have been trying to keep my collection at three amps (clean/medium/high gain). Currently that means a Ceriatone JM for clean, Ceriatone Yeti 50 (kruse modded) for medium, and a Mesa Mark III for high gain. All GREAT tones. But...

The consideration: get all my sounds out of one rig with the synergy system.

I’m thinking about offing the yeti and Mark III and turning my JM rig into a wet/dry system and adding a syn-2 system into it so I can switch in those modules for my other tones. My thought is-I’ll be able to buy modules periodically and depending on my needs-have all the sounds in the one rig.

I don’t usually hesitate so much and don’t typically require much input but I’d appreciate some. What would your thoughts be?

To add a wrench into it all-I’m also considering adding a BE-50 deluxe to replace the yeti (once they hit the used market) but wouldn’t do that if I did the synergy route. Although I hesitate with that too. The yeti is a seriously great piece of gear.

There's amps out there that will do what you want, in one. Just have to find the right one, (Bogner Ecstacy 101b).

You have to figure that out on your own. What will inspire you to practice and keep playing? I was happy with the Mod stuff but had a chance to get my dream amp.

I’m jumping back in for lack of space and they mostly have (not all Modules) the actual builder designing the pre amp. I don’t have space or able to crank an amp loud anymore.

They seem to have improved the design and features above the old version.
I was going to get a HR 25 amp but looking at the SLO module now.

Bruce is working on a COD/Dumble flavor.

That really is my only hesitation. The fact that each sound needs a specific power section. Not just the power tubes but other factors too, of course. However, I do know that if engineered properly, you can make it work. I’d assume in that case I would need the synergy 50/50 though-it is most likely the power section they used when designing the preamp?

For example-the fryette power station. It obviously has tubes but is a very “transparent” power section. Especially using the available knobs-you can a/b it and wouldn’t be able to tel the difference. I would assume the synergy engineers would be able to do the same-voice the preamp in a way that most accurately duplicates the original sound, despite the different power section.

But that would mean I would need the synergy power amp, head, or combo. Really, I’d like to use it to add channels to my existing single channel amp. Thus the predicament of having the “incorrect” power section.

Guess I just need to order it and see if it works in my system. If anybody could pull off the sound of these amps, it would be the original builders which is what sells this system for me. Plus Dave is involved, that alone should be a sufficient “guarantee.” I hate the idea of ordering off of Sweetwater just to try it and send it back if I don’t like it-I feel that doing so is unfair to the companies. I may just have to though...?

The Hoff":1yie2npt said:
That really is my only hesitation. The fact that each sound needs a specific power section. Not just the power tubes but other factors too, of course. However, I do know that if engineered properly, you can make it work. I’d assume in that case I would need the synergy 50/50 though-it is most likely the power section they used when designing the preamp?

For example-the fryette power station. It obviously has tubes but is a very “transparent” power section. Especially using the available knobs-you can a/b it and wouldn’t be able to tel the difference. I would assume the synergy engineers would be able to do the same-voice the preamp in a way that most accurately duplicates the original sound, despite the different power section.

But that would mean I would need the synergy power amp, head, or combo. Really, I’d like to use it to add channels to my existing single channel amp. Thus the predicament of having the “incorrect” power section.

Guess I just need to order it and see if it works in my system. If anybody could pull off the sound of these amps, it would be the original builders which is what sells this system for me. Plus Dave is involved, that alone should be a sufficient “guarantee.” I hate the idea of ordering off of Sweetwater just to try it and send it back if I don’t like it-I feel that doing so is unfair to the companies. I may just have to though...?
Go watch the YouTube “Tone Talk” episode with Mark? And Dave Friedman with guest Bruce Egnater. It is almost 2 hours but they talk a lot about tubes and Dave says that most circuits are tweakable to the point you wouldn’t notice the use of different tubes. It is a great episode, long but great.

jlbaxe":knigqsob said:
The Hoff":knigqsob said:

Go watch the YouTube “Tone Talk” episode with Mark? And Dave Friedman with guest Bruce Egnater. It is almost 2 hours but they talk a lot about tubes and Dave says that most circuits are tweakable to the point you wouldn’t notice the use of different tubes. It is a great episode, long but great.
I had watched that one. I’ve been binging these shows actually, almost caught up. That’s what I was basically referring to in my post. It is possible to overcome the differences when built. However, being that they didn’t build the system with my amps power section, I would assume it wouldn’t apply? Whereas if I used the synergy power amp, all would be good? Or do the sag knob of the syn units allow the sound to be adjusted enough to make up the difference?

The Hoff":jb1zz1dy said:
Really? So the module will do Buxom Betty and BE in one module? Basically like the BE deluxe but without the HBE mode? I hadn’t heard that. That would be great!
Yes
I think they have a prototype on Facebook

I’m not sure I’d spend 3k on the big system, at that point I could shop other amps
But add a syn1 into my current amp? Hell yeah :rock:

These are cool as all the modular stuff has been. Nothing wrong with new preamps.

The price point is bad to me. Enough that I won’t and don’t own any. Just not worth it.

No matter who designs the preamps they wont match the amps they emulate, they cannot as they would have individual power sections that are different if so. Ok thats still cool, NEW tones.

Preamps dont sag in unison wiith the poweramp. No matter how awesome that fryette sag is, again it is something new/different.

I also wonder what else lives in the signal path in terms of extra buffers. Tube OR SS. Again chaing the tone.

I dont mean to imply all of this simply means worse or bad tone, but thinking this is a way to have all these amplifier tones for cheaper than collecting heads is fooling themselves.

Back