Put a JB in the bridge on my guitar..

gruggmanny

Banned
..And now I remember why I took it out originally.. :confused:

Anyways, I still have the Raw Vintage RV-PAF pickup which I had on my guitar before switching it to JB. It sounds amazing otherwise, but I feel like when doing fast and hard down picking palm muting the sound kinda "chokes" out a bit and I thought it might be because it's a lower output pickup with a 8.1k dc resistance. And yes I tried to adjust the pole pieces and the pickup height.

I don't play particularly really heavy styles so I kinda can live with that handicap, but I'm still thinking if a different PAF-type pickup would perform better such as Bare Knuckle's The Mule? Feel free to throw your 2¢ in just don't throw it at me.

I have a Dimarzio 36th PAF that I think sounds cool with high gain. I'm using the "neck" pickup in the bridge position (I think it originally was intended for either).

It seems to have a mid spike around 600hz because it has a snarly, cocked-wah thing going on to me, but it sounds cool (to me) chugging with a lot of gain. It's much more aggressive than the Seth Lovers or 57s that I have in other LPs.

I've been curious about the Raw Vintage PAFs. I really prefer an f-spaced bridge pickup with LPs, and most of the PAF clones don't come with that option (but Raw Vintage does).

The MCP 2nd Degree Blackbelt and WCR Icebucker are two pickups in the PAF wheelhouse that can do the fast and hard down picking great without falling apart. Particularly the Icebucker since the 2dbb has a bit more low end. I’m not sure if WCR still makes the Icebucker, but supposedly the Godwood isn’t far off from it.

I've been curious about the Raw Vintage PAFs. I really prefer an f-spaced bridge pickup with LPs, and most of the PAF clones don't come with that option (but Raw Vintage does).
If you're looking for an authentic PAF sound in an F-spaced pickup I highly recommend Raw Vintage RV-PAF. It does that sound in spades, hand wound in USA and at least when I bought it from Thomann it was cheaper than duncans(100€ only). Too bad that Thomann doesn't offer them anymore..

Wolfetone Marshallhead!

What kind of guitar are we talking about here?
It's a alder-bodied superstrat with a Gotoh floyd and a huge brass block from FU-tone attached to it. Will check out the Marshallhead!
The MCP 2nd Degree Blackbelt and WCR Icebucker are two pickups in the PAF wheelhouse that can do the fast and hard down picking great without falling apart. Particularly the Icebucker since the 2dbb has a bit more low end. I’m not sure if WCR still makes the Icebucker, but supposedly the Godwood isn’t far off from it.
Will take a look at these as well, thanks to both of you!

It's a alder-bodied superstrat with a Gotoh floyd and a huge brass block from FU-tone attached to it. Will check out the Marshallhead!

Will take a look at these as well, thanks to both of you!
I use it in several Les Pauls and an Explorer. Mahogany types! I opt for the A2 magnet option. Never tried it in a Strat though. Contact Wolfe, he's quick with a response and good recommendations.

Back