Question for the high wattage amp guys here about playing at home

I play as loud as I want. Been doing so for years and have never gotten a complaint. One of my neighbors told me she likes to go outside just to hear me play a few months back. Thought that was kinda cool lol. My sister will hop on the drums occasionally so we do make a lot of noise. Ears are still fine!

Last edited:
I love it .ya
Watch it sound amazing.

I once threw a metalzone pedal in front of a 71 PTP fender 2x12 a buddy had just finished retubing many many years ago, because why not? It actually sounded pretty damn usable 😂
it’s weird . You just never know . Maybe metal zones would good if you just ran them through fenders lol

I’ll put anything against my boosted blue channel Bogner and the in room will 100% get demolished by whatever’s next to it. I’ve never in my life heard an amp as inspiring or as big sounding as the old iron 101Bs.

Modern gear (minis, IRs, modeling, etc) is great for recording and convenience assuming you have the knowledge to make it sound good. Even then, the live difference is very notable.
For live, IMO, monitors are better for the venue because they have a wider beam meaning it's easier to hear the same sound from different positions. Much like a THX Dolby cinema system. Cabs are very directional and the differences from a full-stack are notable just by walking around the venue. You need a wall of sound to cover everything... or monitors.

Also if you have a 100W and need to open up the master volume for some crunch then you are already probably at a venue big enough to tolerate that and more. Meaning it has a monitor system in the thousands of watts if not tens or hundreds of. So the cab sound is drowned out after the first few rows of people. What can get through is the directional chest thump of a cab which feels different but many monitor systems have subwoofers that also give a thump. Depends on where you stand in the crowd to feel it.

If you don't have to crank the master volume for distortion then a 100W can be feasible such as with an EVH 5150 100W or a Diezel Herbert 180W. You can play those low volume settings anywhere but when you have a 100W and your tone is with the master volume on high (Marshalls for example), then that's too uncomfortable to be around to enjoy. Like a pneumatic drill or an ambulance siren level of volume. Even some gigs are unbearable like Motorhead with their heads on full belt. Attenuation/loadbox are the only way around that in small settings with a 100W.

Gojira uses 100W 5150IIIs through a Two Notes Torpedo Live loadbox. They have one of the loudest stage performances on the metal circuit around. 2x12 EVH IR (Eddie). Two notes have the settings on their site.

The days of 4x12s seem really past. More for show. If you have a big enough room then it can sound great and at rehearsals for the chest thump but a small venue, 2x12 and 50W amps max IMO or even just use the loadbox and monitor out. Choice of cab sims for the environment.

Even some top bands playing high gain metal just have the 4x12s for show and the lead guitarist is using a 1x12 combo behind a screen and microphoned up really well. Yes, it's all-tube not digital, but likely to be well under 50W.

Dam those motorhead concerts....
So loud...so f awesome...
Lemmys bass was galloping and it sounded like a hyper-Siberian train coming to crush you...
If its too loud you re just too old...

I've certainly played some 50 watts that had "it" but they're rarer than the 100s.

That could be just based on the specific amps that I've personally tried though.

This one certainly fucks

157551427_10225424211811546_9066982320951529090_n.jpg

Speakers being pushed is another key factor in the "cranked amp experience". Low wattage amps can still push pretty hard but always sound punier doing it. It's practically a losing battle.
This is a good point. I actually like the sound of different speakers, and as you know, its difficult to hear the difference between speakers when an amp is cranked. Once ear fatigue sets in after a few minutes, hearing a specific speaker at cranked volumes is gone. There is a magic spot in volume where the actual volume still allows you to hear the speaker "colorization."

I despise mini versions of legit amps and never had an attenuator that satisfied me. There are very few that really live up to their namesake. I often play through modelers at home, or use loadboxes to play my large amps. I very seldom actually plug into a cabinet at home, it's usually IRs through my studio monitors. I'm blessed to have my own spot with great neighbors, and a spare bedroom/office/treated home studio. But I've been living in apartments for years using more or less the same setup with modelers and load boxes for the amps.

When not using at rehearsals or live, I have my Revv Generator Mk3 and I run it through my Friedman ASC-10s via the stereo XLRs out the back. Sounds amazing a lower volumes with the built in Captor X. Amp has a great pair of master volumes so I can run it through the 212CB at quiet levels as well.

When not using at rehearsals or live, I have my Revv Generator Mk3 and I run it through my Friedman ASC-10s via the stereo XLRs out the back. Sounds amazing a lower volumes with the built in Captor X. Amp has a great pair of master volumes so I can run it through the 212CB at quiet levels as well.
I'm surprised I don't hear more about Revv amps. It is the only amp I like on the Helix. I've always wondered what it sounded like in person... but it doesn't seem to get much love. What's wrong with it?

When friends or family come over and see my mancave they ask about the 'stacks'. "But 311dude, you are not playing stadiums so why do you need these big boxes (amps and speaker cabinets)?"

It's not the size. It's how you use it. Wait. No.

Tone is in the eye of the beholder. Wait. No.

But yeah. Hard to substitute big iron and 4 x 12s. Truth.

So then, the best way to get cranked big iron sound and feel at home volume is reactive load into power amp, then into cab? Are tube power amps better than SS?

The best way to get cranked big iron sound is cranked big iron. I don’t jack my master volumes as high as some here but when practicing I prefer not to - I don’t need to hear faults that loud.

I have 95% big iron in my collection and they all get play time. Do they sound their best cranked? You bet, is it something everyone should experience once in their life? You bet. Is it for everyone? No, not at all. Hence load boxes and attenuators to make the best of their situation.

The real truth is that the big iron uncastrated is hard to beat.

I'm surprised I don't hear more about Revv amps. It is the only amp I like on the Helix. I've always wondered what it sounded like in person... but it doesn't seem to get much love. What's wrong with it?

Absolutely nothing wrong! Love the amp!
Honestly, I like it way more than the other amps that I have had over the years and I have had some great amps. For me it works so well through my particular cab and through the FRFR monitors. The features set alone on it is outstanding and for rehearsals and some gigs, I'm not even bringing a cab. It works and sounds great! I love the tone I was able to shape on it that sounds great to my ears and was exactly what I was looking for in an amp of this nature. I'm running it in 4CM with a LIne6 HX FX and all switching is via midi.

When playing live, I have the little G20 as a backup and it runs so well via 4CM into the same pedalboard I have.

Back