Question for the low wattage amp guys here about playing those things

311splawndude

I kid.
I kid.

Discuss.

I have a 1 watt Blackheart Killer Ant. I plug that sucker into V30 loaded 4x12 and get some killer 70's rock tones :yes:

But the lack of headroom and beef in these smaller amps makes the modern brutalz pretty tough.

Jmih9u0.jpg

gG0xXX7.jpg

Choking hazard, do not put this amp in your mouth :LOL:

6505MH but it stays on the 20W setting.

Unlike my Marshall’s or Bogner, when I turn it up I die a little inside. It’s gets louder but thinner, and just doesn’t begin to open up like the big iron stuff.

Last edited:
I had a Blackstar HT5 which sounded good. It was just loud enough to jam with a drummer. I tried an EQ in the loop hoping to get a bit more volume. Didn't work.

My friend has a Hotone Purple Wind. It is surprisingly loud and can get mean sounding with a boost. There is just no low end. I'd like to try the Heart Attack.

Right now I mainly use a PRS MT15, though I'm not sure if that fits into this thread. It's the best small amp I've ever used.

I have a Laney IRT Studio.. what nice versatile amp. Sounds great
Also a BFG modded Jet City 22h. It sounds really good and has four different channels with bright switches and distortion
I also have this little cheap looking JCM1 clone that I got off eBay for $325. The guy said he copied the schematic of the real one and they sound identical. I've never played a real JCM1 but my clone rips. It has the built in boost that makes it roar.

I gig with a Bogner Atma. 1 watt at home and 18 watts when I gig. Did a gig once set to 5 watts and it was loud enough dirty but not enough headroom for the cleans.

I've had both the Randall RD1H and the Marshall DSL1HR, and they were both fun amps. They mic'd up pretty well too.

The Marshall was much louder, though.

Amp wattage is not exponential. So 1W tube amp is still very loud. Nearly 90 dB.

I have one of these. Palmer Eins. A 1W tube amp geared towards studio use. Very loud.
palmer-eins-01-YqrW0VEzc1g7yrVMGpmVFnYZvdnxfJ9X.jpg

I love my RD1 but the FX loop is total dog dick. I don't use it, and to use this amp as a pedal platform is not viable honestly. It barely cleans up well. But for mid gain rock up to metal tones, it's killer. I can play it unboosted and it sounds heavy as hell through a 4x12.

I have homebuilt 100, 50, 5, and 1 watters. The low watt amps will never be ground pounders, but you can get some great tones at moderate volumes with them. The 5W is an old Champ with a real simple preamp and a single ended 6V6. Best combo I have for it is the Kemper and an old Marshall 4x12. I tried it without the back and it got better.

The 1W is a 2204 preamp with the push pull 12AU7 power amp. I used a 12BH7 instead. It has been a gnarly little feedbacking screamer in the past. It sounds like shit currently.

I'm sure the Palmer is pretty cool. Something like that is an easy first build. You can use a $15 Fender reverb transformer for the output because it is a parallel single ended 12AU7.

12a..7 in push pull power section. OK. interesting.

I guess it dosent help anything really, if you need that tube tone and feel at 1w though its there :ROFLMAO:
Yeah. No, I get that. I guess I was thinking of my 1w Blackheart. There is no tube power section unless they are using a 12ax7 as a power tube. I was thinking it would be all solid state power so it wouldn't have occurred to me to use a 1 watt amp as a power section.

Back