Rack gear is insanely expensive now

I’ve been tempted by this, but I’m curious/nervous about it not having the necessary iron in the transformer department to support bass playing, which I’ve been told is important (but I don’t have any direct experience with it)

Fryette also said that their PS100 would likely be lacking in the fundamentals, but hadn’t tested it much. They didn’t comment on the LXII but I just assumed it would be similar. The unfortunate part of it is that the equipment is prohibitively expensive to buy just to test and nobody really talks about using these amps for bass.

No real way to tell if a KSR offering would be much better vs an LXII, but I was impressed with the PA50 for bass so I would think that it would fall in line!

I probably really just need a Peavey classic 120/120 ;)
I had a PA50 for a few weeks as well as a LXII and currently have a PS-100 as well as a custom made 200W tube power amp with really beefy transformers. I'm not going much lower than B on my 5 string and with that going through a 115 and a 410 or an old Marshall 412 bass cab I can't really complain about any of those power amps lacking in the fundamentals when playing clean and loud. LXII is as good as it gets when it comes to a relatively high powered but smallish and versatile tube power amp IMO but if weight doesn't matter and you have the rack space and patience for it go for these old power amps. Some great ones out there. I've gigged with a Peavey 60/60 for a while back then. Sometimes I miss using my old Strategy 500.. sometimes. It's not because it was better than any of my other power amps and I certainly don't miss carrying it or replacing its.. 16 tubes I think or having it serviced/repaired. But still....that thing was kinda cool. I've seen a few old power amps that weren't overpriced despite the hiking prices of everything.

I’ve been tempted by this, but I’m curious/nervous about it not having the necessary iron in the transformer department to support bass playing, which I’ve been told is important (but I don’t have any direct experience with it)

I've played gigs on bass using my little Yamaha THR10X in to my Fryette Powerstation (the original model) and it works beautifully.

I'd assume the LXII is every bit as capable if not more so, but that's just speculation since I've never used one of those

I had a PA50 for a few weeks as well as a LXII and currently have a PS-100 as well as a custom made 200W tube power amp with really beefy transformers. I'm not going much lower than B on my 5 string and with that going through a 115 and a 410 or an old Marshall 412 bass cab I can't really complain about any of those power amps lacking in the fundamentals when playing clean and loud. LXII is as good as it gets when it comes to a relatively high powered but smallish and versatile tube power amp IMO but if weight doesn't matter and you have the rack space and patience for it go for these old power amps. Some great ones out there. I've gigged with a Peavey 60/60 for a while back then. Sometimes I miss using my old Strategy 500.. sometimes. It's not because it was better than any of my other power amps and I certainly don't miss carrying it or replacing its.. 16 tubes I think or having it serviced/repaired. But still....that thing was kinda cool. I've seen a few old power amps that weren't overpriced despite the hiking prices of everything.
Amazing! You’re the first person I’ve seen actually talk about using the LXII for bass — even better that you play a 5!

So good to hear there’s no worries on low end response even loud, but how loud can you get with the 100 watts? I play in a 5-piece rock band and have been curious if it could keep up. We play small/medium local gigs both indoors and out. It’s very rare I’m not also plugging direct into FOH.

Lastly, what made you move away from the LXII? Since it seems like you sold it in favor of the PS100 and the custom 200-watt

Back