Rant - Rick Beato is a douchecake

i'll stand by my posts
his knowledge outside of the fm rock canon and basic classical theory repertoire is super limited .
He doesn't know jack shit about a lot of other music genres and that's just dandy.
i offered a very polite correction regarding the origin of the shuffle beat and was instantly ostracized as a "dumb ass" banned from his ig feed etc.
while i am not sure if dude is racist i have yet to see many [any?] black folks on his show.
he is full of himself and super stiff uptight and not very funky in general.
but hey i am in the minority [heehhee] and it looks like the guys on this board can't get enough of his shit
eat it up with a spoon fellas.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed again?

Dude has a masters degree from the New England Conservatory of Music.
He also gets a lot of work for someone who doesn't know what he's doing.

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/rick-beato-mn0000357243
Also, it must be tough being racist and owning a recording studio in Atlanta, Georgia.

It's one thing to envy a real person in your 'real' life, but some guy on YouTube?
No wonder you're so grumpy.

Last edited:
Most of the Youtubers are irritating as hell. And I especially hate any of those clickbait videos of 'guitarist/drummer/singer/teacher reacts to x'. As if putting that in the title of the video means their opinions are somehow more relevant.

Saying that some guys are cool:
Reza
Johan Segeborn
Michael Nielsen
EystchPi
I don't mind Leon Todd but his tone in a lot of his videos is absolutely terrible
probably some others
I don't get those 'reaction' videos either, particularly when you have someone listening to a performance that's 40 years old and known to every living being (or should be) because it's so popular, and the listener is amazed. So what? There's one called... British Guitarist listens to 'X.' Well, shit, if you're a guitarists with experience and knowledge, and you never heard Purple Haze or something else like that... where the f*** have you been living and what have you been playing all these years... Bossa Nova? What I find with Leon Todd's tone is that it works well within a mix, but he plays it solo in his videos, and so... it comes across differently. I noticed that with his FM3 preset... you download it and it sounds harsh or not quite right, but sounds OK in a mix (he also plays a lot of drop C, which makes a preset sound different than in standard tuning).

i'll stand by my posts
his knowledge outside of the fm rock canon and basic classical theory repertoire is super limited .
He doesn't know jack shit about a lot of other music genres and that's just dandy.
i offered a very polite correction regarding the origin of the shuffle beat and was instantly ostracized as a "dumb ass" banned from his ig feed etc.
while i am not sure if dude is racist i have yet to see many [any?] black folks on his show.
he is full of himself and super stiff uptight and not very funky in general.
but hey i am in the minority [heehhee] and it looks like the guys on this board can't get enough of his shit
You throw out the race card because you haven’t seen any other races on his channel? Are you fucking dumb? Or just ignorant. I live in a rural area that doesn’t happen to have a large population of minorities in the are, therefore I only know a few. Does that make me a racist too?

get off your ego trip, grow the fuck up. I’ve learned more music theory from Rick than I have from you. To be exact, I’ve never seen any of your YouTube videos teaching theory. If you’re so upset about how someone does it, stop bitching about it on the internet like a 14 year old girl, and go out and make your own videos.

I don't get those 'reaction' videos either,

Is a trend. Fake their "i never listen to this before" just to get more views. Money ruin anything, and people are shameless greedy.
When Prince died, all covered purple rain. When the Queen movie was out, all doing a cover, or Brian May related stuff.
Because if a subject is a trend, all youtubers try to get more views (=more money).

Is a trend. Fake their "i never listen to this before" just to get more views. Money ruin anything, and people are shameless greedy.
When Prince died, all covered purple rain. When the Queen movie was out, all doing a cover, or Brian May related stuff.
Because if a subject is a trend, all youtubers try to get more views (=more money).
I agree with the above. I think it's so lame that some nobody is fascinated by Eruption, etc. I can't believe that people want to tune into a 'reaction' of someone else's playing or composition. I guess there's something for everyone.

He's entertaining but he does have a bit of a pompous attitude and sometimes comes off as whiny/entitled to me. I never heard of him before he became a YouTube star. I don't really understand his credentials but these studio dudes can lay low for years while being insanely successful, so maybe he's of more consequence than I realize.

you sound like..wait
i can't hear you speak.....
you have rick's dick in your mouth! :LOL: :LOL:
how's it taste fucko?
lmao. this is a really long thread. I am not going to read it all. But I will say in fairness, I thought the guy had some good content. I accidentally stumbled accross one of his live streams/money grabs. It put a bad taste in my mouth.

lmao. this is a really long thread. I am not going to read it all. But I will say in fairness, I thought the guy had some good content. I accidentally stumbled accross one of his live streams/money grabs. It put a bad taste in my mouth.

One bad thing for all of these YouTubers is the Covid shutdown. During normal times I'd imagine they had to plan time to
work on videos, etc. Now I'd bet most of them have way too much time on their hands and they're putting out too much
stuff and the quality is suffering.

Beato had one recently where it was him, Rhett Shull, and some other dude just shooting
the breeze about what makes a guitar good or bad - for like an hour! I kept FF seeing if
the discussion was going anywhere and it never did. The content ideas are getting slim. :D

One bad thing for all of these YouTubers is the Covid shutdown. During normal times I'd imagine they had to plan time to
work on videos, etc. Now I'd bet most of them have way too much time on their hands and they're putting out too much
stuff and the quality is suffering.

Beato had one recently where it was him, Rhett Shull, and some other dude just shooting
the breeze about what makes a guitar good or bad - for like an hour! I kept FF seeing if
the discussion was going anywhere and it never did. The content ideas are getting slim. :D
These type of videos burn me on youtube, and make me stop watching a guy. Thats why I love kohle. I don't care about all his content, but the guy is interesting as fuck. And he makes the videos fun.

Maybe a bit presumptuous?
He often plays licks himself cause of blocking. Or cause he'll show you what he's doing.
(recently found out via him I was playing 'Interstate Love Song' all wrong)
The dude also has very competant chops. He's never professed to being a songwriter.
He's much more an arranger, producer, engineer, conductor, teacher type.

Unloving parents, huh?
His kids sure seem happy when they pop up in his videos.

View attachment 75684
Did you see that one video where he was bitching about his kid didnt want to go to Oboe lessons or some shit? I really liked Rick up until that point. I thought that was really bad form. I mean what kid wants to play the fucking oboe and he was really pissed about it. Dont put that kinda shit out there about your kids man. Kids can be cruel and I couldnt imagine how much worse my childhood would have been if my dad bitched about me to a million viewers especially something as nerdy as oboe lessons.

I watch his videos and am sometimes compelled to learn what he's teaching. I don't care what kind of person he is. He's not my friend. He doesn't piss me off. If his content at the time doesn't interest me I go elsewhere.....maybe even outside.

Back