Rant - Rick Beato is a douchecake

It's obvious that Rick Beato is a producer and musical font of knowledge first and a guitarist second.

Very fucking obvious.

That being said, I watch his vids with those facts in mind.

Where's the risk nowadays..thumbnails?
Puke.
Dude's, how can we make ROCK AND ROLL THROUGH DIGITS?

I think he's got some great content. I like his "what makes this song great" vids. He's a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to music, and who cares if he can't shred, he's still a decent enough player, besides he's a producer first and foremost.

rick.jpg

First rant here for me ! :rock:

yes i realize the entire planet is on this guy's dick...hard
sure he knows theory
BUT
he is a pompous arrogant dick and it comes across in almost every video.
watch a few live videos and it's so evident as he interacts with commentators and or dick sucks fanboys that donate
and
his guitar playing while 'correct" has zero vibes and is totally uninspiring or memorable, and he thinks he's great.
No "dumbass" i don't want to watch you meander in G dorian and pontificate to the serfs about how to use the mode.

Compare his playing ANY real artist like paul gilbet, chris poland, kossof,.beck, aldrich, holdsworth etc ________ fill in the blank fave of yours and it's clear he blows chunks, has a shit tone, crap phrasing etc.

there are HUGE gaps in his musical knowledge
he is clueless about anything electronic from the 1940s - to present day it's all just "EDM' to him
he has no knowledge of funk/soul/bossa/reggae/ international music
his djent lesson is a bad joke
his entire foundation is classical guitar and FM rock and it's fucking lame
i don't need a another privileged "white bro "telling me how great steely dan is.
yes i realize no one is forcing me to watch him
but it's repugnant
YMMV
thanks!
I agree with your main sentiment very much. His theory is good and that’s mainly what got me into some of his videos and he likes Rush a lot as I do.

what’s made him much harder to take for me , last couple of weeks, sort of like a friend who seems cool until you get to know them, is

The need for affirmation and attention which causes him to play stuff himself . A very pathetic and needy side comes out - like he’s brimming with the arrogance like he had written the riff. Like in playing it he temporarily is suspending the belief and knowledge that he can’t come up with riffs, and fantasizing that it’s his own.

sure, fantasy is part of why some kids air guitar etc when they’re young , but this, to my eye at least looks much more to be part of a larger Narcissism and if you’ve ever been around someone in the biz with narcissism , either talented or not, you start to notice other ones, and tell the difference between someone just playing guitar and someone doing it out of an unusually immature need for approval stemming from a personality disorder.

it sucks , but some people develop this out of unloving parents or a 1000 other reasons

I agree with your main sentiment very much. His theory is good and that’s mainly what got me into some of his videos and he likes Rush a lot as I do.

what’s made him much harder to take for me , last couple of weeks, sort of like a friend who seems cool until you get to know them, is

The need for affirmation and attention which causes him to play stuff himself . A very pathetic and needy side comes out - like he’s brimming with the arrogance like he had written the riff. Like in playing it he temporarily is suspending the belief and knowledge that he can’t come up with riffs, and fantasizing that it’s his own.

sure, fantasy is part of why some kids air guitar etc when they’re young , but this, to my eye at least looks much more to be part of a larger Narcissism and if you’ve ever been around someone in the biz with narcissism , either talented or not, you start to notice other ones, and tell the difference between someone just playing guitar and someone doing it out of an unusually immature need for approval stemming from a personality disorder.

it sucks , but some people develop this out of unloving parents or a 1000 other reasons

Welcome to Rig-Talk. I think. :confused:

Was my post a bit much ? :)

Maybe a bit presumptuous?
He often plays licks himself cause of blocking. Or cause he'll show you what he's doing.
(recently found out via him I was playing 'Interstate Love Song' all wrong)
The dude also has very competant chops. He's never professed to being a songwriter.
He's much more an arranger, producer, engineer, conductor, teacher type.

Unloving parents, huh?
His kids sure seem happy when they pop up in his videos.

family.jpg

Maybe a bit presumptuous?
He often plays licks himself cause of blocking. Or cause he'll show you what he's doing.
(recently found out via him I was playing 'Interstate Love Song' all wrong)
The dude also has very competant chops. He's never professed to being a songwriter.
He's much more an arranger, producer, engineer, conductor, teacher type.

Unloving parents, huh?
His kids sure seem happy when they pop up in his videos.

View attachment 75684
If you throw around words like “iconic” and “legacy” and “a Legend in the business. “ and believe in those things as opposed to just enjoying music for its internal beauty than a conversation between us is hopeless- if you see where I’m headed and enjoy music for the same reason I do and not because of idol worship etc then let me know and I’ll answer your response

Man, that's a whole lot of projecting...

If you throw around words

Dude, I not only don't really know what the hell you are going on about, I really could care less.
Carry on with your....... whatever it is.
You must be a riot at parties.

like “iconic” and “legacy” and “a Legend in the business. “ and believe in those things as opposed to just enjoying music for its internal beauty

At what point did these things become mutually exclusive?

Back