Recommend a cheap modeling combo

jchrisf

I finally sold my Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 this past weekend and need something to fill the space. Just looking for an inexpensive modeling combo to see how well they have improved these since I purchased the Vypyr nearly 10 years ago. I've got tube amps and cabs this is just something I enjoy moving around the house when needed for fun. Right now I'm leaning towards the Katana but would love to hear the recommendations here. I actually had fun with the Vypyr when I was in the mood and was surprised how well I could dial in a nice tone when needed. It just didn't take pedals well and would love to have one that did.

Boss Katana 50mkII, great grab and go lightweight amp. Boss Katana Artist is great, and still relatively small and light too. I have both.
How does the 50 compare to the Artist sound wise?

i kind of want one of those vypyr tube amps, ive heard some pretty killer tones out of them
Yeah, I wish they still made them.. I'm afraid to buy one used.

Does it have to be a combo? If you’re okay with headphones, I’d recommend something like a Line 6 HX Stomp. The tones will be better than the Vypyr and it is completely silent.

However, if you really need a combo, the Karana gets my vote, or maybe a Yamaha THR.

would be tough to beat the Katana. ton of features, very usable, i know guys that gig them, they're cheap and plentiful.

Does it have to be a combo? If you’re okay with headphones, I’d recommend something like a Line 6 HX Stomp. The tones will be better than the Vypyr and it is completely silent.

However, if you really need a combo, the Karana gets my vote, or maybe a Yamaha THR.
Yeah, I already have a Stomp, FM3, AA6 and Headrush Pedalboard. This is just something that I like to mess around with that can create sound on it's own quick and easy... and light weight.

Another vote for Katana. I'm partial to the Artist MKII combo though. I like the placement of the controls, and it exposes a couple of controls that are only available through the editor on the non-Artist models. Plus it has MIDI. Most people probably don't care about that, but it lets me use my existing MIDI floorboard instead of having to buy their footswitch.

Last edited:
The Vyper VIP2 sounds WAY better than the Katana 50. Had both at the same time, I was going to upgrade to the Katana but the cab sounded like a wet fart in the low end compared to the Peavey.
I would get the Headrush MX5 and run it through a small powered monitor like the Headrush 108. That's my practice rig right now. I also use a Yamaha THR-10 thats great for dicking off.

Oh I see you have some modelers. I find them to sound way better and more flexible than an amp.

Last edited:
Alan has demoed a few on his YouTube channel…geargasms….he’s a nut.. I think he just did a mooer unit….but he’s done a few on there. Me personally I’m thinking boss or the positive grid stuff…. I gave my vyper to a buddy and it was really a great little unit.

I would go for the Katana, but for the head and your choice of cabinet.

I think the biggest downfall of cheap combos is usually the speaker/cabinetry.

The Katana speaker is alright for being so cheap, but, depending of what you want to play, the open back is not always ideal, IMO. The cabs themselves are also undersized and cheaply built.

I would go for the Katana, but for the head and your choice of cabinet.

I think the biggest downfall of cheap combos is usually the speaker/cabinetry.

The Katana speaker is alright for being so cheap, but, depending of what you want to play, the open back is not always ideal, IMO. The cabs themselves are also undersized and cheaply built.
He wants a combo he can easily pick up and play in different parts of his house though. The Vyper 60 has a great 12" speaker IMO, but much heavier than some of these other options.

I have a spark 40 I bough new for $200 it is really cool and fun, I use it all the time, cool with the app too (I have lots of high stuff but this just sits in y living room and is easy to just plug in and play)

GC has the Katana 100 on sale now so I ordered one.. We'll see how good it is but I'm expecting to be impressed.

I got the Katana 100 combo MKII and love it.. wow, does it sound good. It is highly configurable too. It is what I wish all the high end modelers were... all wrapped up in one package. I love my FM3. It is the best thing I've ever heard when I play it through headphones but just gets bland when I try to get sound in the room. But the Katana sounds amazing in the room. I've always wished Fractal would pair their stuff in a combo with a perfectly matched power amp and cab/speaker. Katana has fulfilled this for me. There's just something about amp in the room. I can see myself getting another one (hey, they are inexpensive) and having a stereo setup.

Those new Vypyrs might be the ticket. I've owned a VIP and still have a Vypyr 15 (old original one) and it's a killer little amp.
I had a Katana 50 mkii and pretty much hated it.

I got the Katana 100 combo MKII and love it.. wow, does it sound good. It is highly configurable too. It is what I wish all the high end modelers were... all wrapped up in one package. I love my FM3. It is the best thing I've ever heard when I play it through headphones but just gets bland when I try to get sound in the room. But the Katana sounds amazing in the room. I've always wished Fractal would pair their stuff in a combo with a perfectly matched power amp and cab/speaker. Katana has fulfilled this for me. There's just something about amp in the room. I can see myself getting another one (hey, they are inexpensive) and having a stereo setup.
Congrats on finding something you like.

They do seem like a cool kit.

Back