Recommendations for single channel high gain head?

I could really use some opinions here. I’m in the market for a new head. Here’s what I need to have:

• A single channel of glorious 80s hot rodded Marshall. Rich, saturated, thunderous high gain.
• A buffered loop. Tube or Metro Zero Loss style.
• A killer master volume. I need to be able to get great tones at very low levels.
• 50 watts.

I don’t need a clean channel, since I’ll get my cleans using a clean preamp pedal going direct into the loop return. I’ve got an RJM PBC/6x that makes that super easy to do. 50 watts will be paint peeling loud and have plenty of headroom, while still being a little lighter weight. I don’t need a lead boost, since I can add a clean boost in the loop.

I am currently selling my Egnater MOD100, which has an incredible master volume, but is too heavy to take to gigs and rehearsals, and I don’t need this many channels.

I had a Hopkins Pandora, which had a good master volume and incredible gain saturation, but I had him build it on a 100 watt Plexi clone I’d done, so it was more power than I needed, and the circuit was too stiff and unforgiving for me. Totally my fault, though. Also, I sold it when I got into rack gear. Oops :(

I’ve got a Ceriatone King Kong 50, which I get good results using to track at home with a Suhr Reactive Load, but has repeatedly sounded like garbage at rehearsals and has a dreadful master volume, and the loop in it is an insult to loops. So, it is just not the solution for me for live use, and I think I’d like to skip Ceriatone at this point.

I’ve thought about finding or just straight up building a 2204. I could add a loop, and either with mods, a boost pedal, or mods and a boost pedal, maybe I’d get where I need to go. But if there are other options out there, that I’m just not thinking of, I’d love to hear about them. Especially something that is good to go as is.

All realistic options on the table, too. Low budget to high (though I draw the line at Wizards…that’s just a bit too rich for me). Mass production to boutique. Stock or modded. The only thing I ask is that it be realistic for me to actually get one. Please, no unobtainium amps. Like, if the answer is a Cameron, I can’t get one, so it really isn’t an option.

A few I’d recommend:
Naylor SD60 (either find one used or order one and wait a year or so)

Bogner Helios 50

Soldano SLO-30 (I know you said 50 watts, but maybe 30 is ok)

Reason SM50 (you’ll have to find a used one, but they’re affordable)

Maybe get on the waitlist for a Monomyth amp (not sure if you’d find it unforgiving or not though)

Not a fan of Splawn’s or Friedman’s, but some will likely recommend those I’m predicting

A few I’d recommend:
Naylor SD60 (either find one used or order one and wait a year or so)

Bogner Helios 50

Soldano SLO-30 (I know you said 50 watts, but maybe 30 is ok)

Reason SM50 (you’ll have to find a used one, but they’re affordable)

Maybe get on the waitlist for a Monomyth amp (not sure if you’d find it unforgiving or not though)

Not a fan of Splawn’s or Friedman’s, but some will likely recommend those I’m predicting

I do have a friend with a SLO-30, and I should give it a try.

As far as the Monomyth goes, and whether it would be too unforgiving for me…if I’m being honest, my chops a couple of years ago just weren’t anything to write home about. I still feel like I’m a hot mess with broken fingers most of the time. But I do think (hope) I’ve improved a bit 😆

I hear so many mixed opinions about Splawns, that it has kept me away. That may not be fair, since I’ve never actually tried one. As for Friedmans, there doesn’t appear to be anything in his line up that is specifically this.

I do have a friend with a SLO-30, and I should give it a try.

As far as the Monomyth goes, and whether it would be too unforgiving for me…if I’m being honest, my chops a couple of years ago just weren’t anything to write home about. I still feel like I’m a hot mess with broken fingers most of the time. But I do think (hope) I’ve improved a bit 😆

I hear so many mixed opinions about Splawns, that it has kept me away. That may not be fair, since I’ve never actually tried one. As for Friedmans, there doesn’t appear to be anything in his line up that is specifically this.
Yeah if your friend has one definitely try it and see if you like it. To me I didn’t actually find Monomyths unforgiving. They felt quite good to me, but they sound very tight, which I’m a fan of. Many think Splawn’s feel stiff or unforgiving. I don’t, but I do think their feel seems “off” or unnatural somehow and the voicing itself I hate. The midrange I find to be both somehow hollow yet peaky/quacky like a duck at the same time with this really filtered/not full frequency sound, but despite that always best of course to try these things yourself. Some guys love them though, so who knows

Last edited:
I’d go for a used 2204 and use the remaining budget sitting down with a local tech or modder who can tweak it to your preferences. Obviously dependent upon the people around you but I bet they exist. Or building one but that’s an endless rabbit hole.

The other option would be the Friedman phill x head, while it’s not a 50watt it does hit most every other point.

Or go full circle, back to the basics with a 2204, boost, and a power station for about the same price as a new head.

Laney GH100TI

It’s 100W but pull two tubes and half the impedance for 50W

It is hot rodded JCM800 Marshall all day long and single channel with hi and lo inputs just like a Marshall.

I’ll die with my GH100S which is the first year model that has stand up Marshall style can capacitors (mine has Daly’s stock). They went to laydown/axial style filter capacitors and a different chassis in the TI models one year later.

It’s easy to play and feels great. Not stiff or thin. Can take EL34s or 6L6GCs.

If I were modding amps I’d build you my blue collar mod in my 74 I made. Basically wanted Zakk wylde tone that’s easy to play, complete pissed off insanity, great master, and no boost pedals needed.

I also recommend a 5150III 50W lunchbox.

If you're talking about the Skeleton Key you may be out of luck for now. Shea said the waitlist got to the point of becoming overwhelming and has shut it down. He said on Jason's live stream he is looking to do one more run in the next few months and possibly move on to another project for a while.

@Tommy Von Voigt Who cares if you don't think your chops are up to par. That shouldn't dictate the gear you use. If that were the case we all would be playing shitty Behringer practice amps LOL. Get what you want and be happy. If it happens to be a bit unforgiving it'll just force you to improve. I like amps that challenge my playing and push me into doing better.

As far as recommendations check out Morris amps. He has numerous models that are all his version of different Marshall circuits. Everything I've heard from him points towards that he knows his stuff. Most are in the 50 +/- watt range and can be had in single channel version. The Sirrom is is highest gain model.

https://www.morrisamps.com/

I'll 2nd braintheory's suggestion on a Naylor Superdrive 60. You could try a Budda Superdrive which is similar and easier to find, but I don't think you'd be fully happy with it vs the Naylor. Personally if I were going that route I'd rather take the time to track down a Naylor.
There's also a Friedman Naked Custom, which is in the same vein as the Naylor for sale in the classifieds. Though it's rather expensive (5K+) and may be more amp than you're wanting.

A SLO might not be what you’re after. Soldanos have a lower mid hump and more grainy sounding distortion than Marshalls.

I can’t remember if Freifmans have buffered loops…

A SLO might not be what you’re after. Soldanos have a lower mid hump and more grainy sounding distortion than Marshalls.

I can’t remember if Freifmans have buffered loops…
The SLOs I've had, and the HR 100+ all were very much a high mid centered amp. Maybe you are referring to the Avenger? Or another model?
Especially boosted...sounded like a modded Marshall with either an EQ pedal or OD1X up front.

OP, I'd second what Braintheory said and also recommend like a few more the basic 2204 + a boost or send it to Red Plated(Ground Zero), Shea(Monomyth) or Hopkins for mods.

The SLOs I've had, and the HR 100+ all were very much a high mid centered amp. Maybe you are referring to the Avenger? Or another model?
Especially boosted...sounded like a modded Marshall with either an EQ pedal or OD1X up front.

OP, I'd second what Braintheory said and also recommend like a few more the basic 2204 + a boost or send it to Red Plated(Ground Zero), Shea(Monomyth) or Hopkins for mods.
He is right about the SLO's grainy gain texture, it's definitely a bit different than a Marshall.

Back