Recording woes

BigGuitars

I'm trying to record some original pieces I've composed, and I cannot, for the fucking life of me, produce a good-sounding tone on the DAW. I've tried my 5150 lbx. I've tried my Marshall DSL40CR. I'm going through all sorts of VSTs, including Fortin Cali Suite, ML800, Guitar Rig, etc...

I'm not sure if its just my ear, but nothing comes out like I want it.

I really like the sound of the Fortin' VST, but the issue with it is that it cuts out unless you're digging into the string like a mofo. I turned to gate all the way off on it, and I still have to work like hell to get all the notes to sound out.

It's actually this way with everything. Even with my real amps. I'm not sure why the hell this only seems to happen to me, but I cannot get the guitar sounds to act right. Nothing sounds right.

What the bloody hell am I doing wrong?

Using Studio One. Thanks!

The "cutting out" thing I would have to hear to diagnose; as far as your 5150 and DSL, I would have to hear the clips themselves along with what you don't like about them.

The problem could be literally anything, otherwise.

I don't like to toot my own horn too much, but I've been recording distorted guitars for a long, long time.

I really like the sound of the Fortin' VST, but the issue with it is that it cuts out unless you're digging into the string like a mofo. I turned to gate all the way off on it, and I still have to work like hell to get all the notes to sound out.

Something really wrong here. No way with the gate off it should be so pick sensitive.
Know someone who could give your setup a sanity check?

Same.....I gave up and just use my cell phone lol...I honestly think it comes down to the hardware. You need a great interface and monitors.

It's not really "cutting out". I don't know how to describe it. It's like the note has nothing behind it. You've got to make your fingers bleed to make the notes ring out with sustain. You try to relax even the slightest, you're going to get this hacked-up sound. You know what I mean. It fights you all the way. I figured this might be a common enough problem that some of you might understand what I'm talking about.

I'm just trying to lay down some demos to help me write some songs, but I can't seem to get an inspiring sound.

clips and/or a list of gear in the signal chain would help to further diagnose the issue.

VSTs cutting out sounds like maybe your interface's input is set too low.

Like others have said, post a clip of you can. Assuming nothing is wrong with your interface, maybe your input level is too low going into your DAW. What's the level reading at within your DAW w/out any plug-ins going? Does increasing the input level within the Neural plugin affect what you experiencing?

As for not liking your real amp mic’d tones, that could simply be just practice. Getting a great mic'd up tone is a skill set unto itself.

I'm honestly about to give it up. There's apparently way too much involved in getting a good sound that home recording for newbs is not a good idea.

For gear:

EVH Wolfgang/Charvel San Dimas late models => Marshall DSL40CR (Volume at 11 o'clock, master volume dimed) => SM57 into Focusrite Solo into my custom-built PC with Studio One 5

All gear is in good shape. I'm not sure what brand of instrument cables I'm using but they're 10'.

I've got the mic just off to the right on the cone, roughly two finger widths away from the cloth. I've tried pretty much all placements.

I think this issue is just due to me being ignorant. Perhaps the bad sound is due to the room I'm in? I'm recording in my upstairs music room which is pretty run of the mill. Drywall and office carpet. The ceilings are angled because of the roof. Not sure if this has much to do with it. I don't have any kind of studio dampening or foam material. Perhaps that is also affecting the sound. But I still feel like I should be getting a decent enough tone to record to decent sounding demos for writing purposes.

Maybe the problem is Studio One? I'm starting to think it is. Maybe studio one just sounds horrible? The guitar just sounds dark. I can't get a full, punchy, or bright tone. It sounds very dark, muffled on the low end, and just overall not good. It's not the least bit inspiring. It's like this for both my Marshall, my EVH, and even the drum and guitar VSTs I'm using.

Reaper tells you how much time you spend on projects, I spent basically three hours a day for three years to get where I am now recording. It takes a while to get real good

Hey. If this dumbass (ME) can do it, so can you. I mean, dainbramage had to walk me through how to use reaper. I also watched a few videos. Don't give up, man. It is totally worth it.

You are the guy who bought the Charvel and hate it but is determined to keep it. Dude you are a killer guitar player, I remember your clips. Maybe you just need to find a friend or someone to lend an ear to hear things a different way. Don't expect multi million dollar studio perfection. You have the chops just need to work on production or find someone to help you a little

I think this issue is just due to me being ignorant.
The VST issue is simply that something is set wrong - somewhere in the chain a level/sensitivity setting is pretty far off
if you're having to jackhammer the strings to get input/output. There's a bunch of free digital VU level meters.
Grab one and experiment putting it in different places in the signal chain until the levels drop off. That should pin-point it.

Last edited:
Reaper tells you how much time you spend on projects, I spent basically three hours a day for three years to get where I am now recording. It takes a while to get real good

Same, I've been recording (digitally) since Sound Forge was still made by Sonic Foundry. It literally took me years to get where I'm at now.

I gave up any hopes of real home recording years ago. I just aim for "good enough" which doesn't even have to be that good for a demo. Let the talented producers use their million dollar equipment and they will make you sound like a million bucks. Or in my case, around $19.99

Back