Reverb pedal for live use

I have a MXR Carbon Copy for a delay, does anyone use this pedal or similar in a live rig but also with reverb?
Not sure if reverb works for live situations on top of the delay.
Just got back into playing live so looking to try something different.

Analog delay doesn’t gel with reverb IMO.......at least with any significant amount of gain. If you want both, I recommend ditching the CC and try out the Boss RV-6 using the “+delay” mode. You can’t adjust the levels independently, but they matched the 2 perfectly. I figured this out after trying numerous pedals independently for each.....Strymon, Source Audio, Maxon, etc. The RV-6 sounds best to me. In an adjustable level loop BTW.

Troublehead!":1fjhq6mr said:
Analog delay doesn’t gel with reverb IMO.......at least with any significant amount of gain. If you want both, I recommend ditching the CC and try out the Boss RV-6 using the “+delay” mode. You can’t adjust the levels independently, but they matched the 2 perfectly. I figured this out after trying numerous pedals independently for each.....Strymon, Source Audio, Maxon, etc. The RV-6 sounds best to me. In an adjustable level loop BTW.

I have a loop but not adjustable, wouldn't the level pot on the RV-6?

Boss stompboxes are notorious for being finicky in line level loops. All amps are different, but that is what I was referring to. But yeah, the RV-6 level pot is adjustable. You just can’t adjust delay/verb independently in that mode.

Another option for both effects working well together is the Neunaber Immerse pedal. Both versions are great. I prefer the MK2 version.

I suspect you’ll get a range of answers on verb for live use as it’s very much a personal thing. Since I’ve been playing electric I’ve always had a verb, just to give a bit of depth. I’ve had a neunaber wet on my board for a couple of years now, it just sits nicely in the background. The styrmon stuff is amazing but a bit ott if you just want to add a little depth.

FWIW - I have a TC HOF mini on the default ‘hall’ setting as the final effect in my loop signal. The only other effect in my loop is the Carbon Mini which is first - ahead of the HOF. The CC has one repeat at ‘around’ the 350 ms range. I was shooting for the wide, lush verb with 1 subtle, medium slap a-la Ted Templeman. This is in the loop of a Splawn QR which has the +4/-10 selector as well as overall loop signal return knob. I find these 2 effects work really, really well together. I really like being able to turn the delay on and off independently from the verb.

PDC":phxyrd5t said:
FWIW - I have a TC HOF mini on the default ‘hall’ setting as the final effect in my loop signal. The only other effect in my loop is the Carbon Mini which is first - ahead of the HOF. The CC has one repeat at ‘around’ the 350 ms range. I was shooting for the wide, lush verb with 1 subtle, medium slap a-la Ted Templeman. This is in the loop of a Splawn QR which has the +4/-10 selector as well as overall loop signal return knob. I find these 2 effects work really, really well together. I really like being able to turn the delay on and off independently from the verb.

Thanks, this seems to be what I'm looking for ala Ted Templeman.

PDC":3f4riugn said:

That’s how I use the RV-6. The mode is a hall verb with a delay signal (albeit digital). The “Tone” knob acts as feedback in this mode.......so you can get that single slap back repeat.

It’s a huge tonal improvement over the RV-5 IMO. I actually prefer it over the Neunaber Wet I had. But if you want to run delay/verb on and off, then it will not work for the OP.

I bought a Wampler Ethereal pedal recently and it is like a combo of reverb and delay. You can adjust both effects. I suppose it is one of their answers to the ambient thing but I use it for light reverb and delay in my loop and I like it. Might be worht a try and not that expensive compared to the Strymon type pedals etc. Just a thought. Good luck!

Ive got an RV-6 and it is an excellent pedal. If you do not need to turn the delay on and off independently of the verb, another really great option is the Earthquaker Dispatch Master. I know this is all as dependent on the amp and loop as it is the effect, but I have found the EQ Dispatch to be one of the most natural, transparent time effects I have ever heard in pedal form. In fact, on my ‘big’ board I use a Dispatch Master with the delay function ‘off’ as my ‘always on’ reverb - and I use a separate Dispatch Master with the verb ‘off’ to get that single slap delay. Again, I’m using 2 only so I have the option of turning the delay on and off while always having that nice ambient reverb. I have cycled several verbs and delays through the big board, but have not found any that sound as clean and transparent as the EQ Dispatch Master.

The HOF mini and Carbon Copy mini sound really, really good - but I do hear ever so slightly that harsh artifact with those 2 pedals compared to my Dispatch Masters on the bigger board. But the minis are at least 95% as good and fit on my little rehearsal board / small venue board.

I really loved the blackout effector cadavernous, the swell button on it is super cool. I have since switched to an h9 max for all my time based stuff. Can't go wrong with either imo.

Back