Schenker's place in the guitar god hierarchy

Sorry but Hendrix is definitely way above EVH (and Schenker BTW). In the same realm as Coltrane, Miles Davis, Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley etc. Bonafide timeless geniuses.

Eddie Van Halen was one of the greatest, most inventive, truly visionary musicians of all time. He was an unparalleled titan in the annals of rock & roll. And on the Mount Rushmore of guitarists, he is neck-and-neck for the pole position.

Eddie Van Halen was a musician’s musician of the highest caliber. That guy could go toe to toe with any musician on the planet: jazz musician, classical musician, with both his improvisational skills and his rock & roll songwriting, and just his swag and his vibe — it was absolutely unparalleled.

Sorry, but nobody is up there with Eddie except for maybe Yngwie. Not even Randy Rhoads holds a candle to Eddie. Eddie just blew them all away with the relentless amounts of techniques, innovations, and trends that he set, just about all of which stuck and made a huge impact.

However, I do think Schenker is a solid player, and could play basically anything.

Eddie was always head and shoulders above everybody else , EVH is responsible for inspiring the overwhelming majority of what many players of today consider their guitar hero's . Eddies not a musician he's a magician on the guitar .

Never forget that it's never been Eddie himself praising himself it's always been everybody else on the planet that has put him as the greatest ever and the undisputed king of rock guitar . Nobody in history has been talked about more and copied more than EVH . A talent so immense that even George Lynch said Eddies from an entirely different planet and he felt like giving up playing guitar entirely after seeing him in person for the first time. Steve Vai said he was in awe when he was in the presence of Eddie

That's how massive of an impact he had . Take away Eddies tapping and he's still the greatest ever , nobody to this day can come close to his mastery rhythm playing which was just as incredible as his lead playing .

Having said that I don't like Hagar era VH, I'm a diehard Roth only guy.

started checking out some stuff and saw a vid of some kid playing rock bottom on a street corner. Kid killed it. Here it is-

Good performance but I don't think he played it much like MS. That said, probably the point. Put a bit of his own thing in there and that's cool.

One of the sensible things VH did was release very short albums too. They knew they didn't have a large repertoire of material, so kept things short, and that's even with some filler bits here and there. They also got a fair amount of mileage of their own takes on classic cover tunes. I don't fault them for any of that, as it leaned into their strengths which was being a light hearted party band and let EVH just enough time to throw in whatever new pyrotechnics he'd recently come up with.

After they got some fame, they tried for longer albums (just standard length though) and you could tell they were really trying to push beyond their creative abilities.
Yeah I think they had a cover on every album didnt they? Nothing wrong with that of course. I am really only familiar with the first 4-5 albums probably.

Earlier I said I thought EVH was most influential but I'm not saying he was the best. He himself knew he could not top Holdsworth but Holdsworth is not an easy listen for most people. EVH is.

He just had that 'something else'. Whether it was his unique timing or just the way he attacked the strings. That combined with his songwriting and killer rhythm playing (like all the greats) just made it a unique package.

I was thinking an interesting question is: Who is the most influential excluding Jimi and Eddie?

MS believed EVH was influenced by his playing as well.. doesn't take anything away from his lega y though, EVH had incredible swing and Def was a game changer. I just think Schenker should be way further up the list.

https://rockcelebrities.net/michael...ie-van-halen-stealing-the-parts-of-his-songs/
Based on some of the clips posted last with MS I’d agree. I don’t like the actual songs, but to me the leads themselves are miles ahead of EVH in musicality. It’s a shame because I’ll usually stop listening to a song if it doesn’t grab me after the halfway mark

Earlier I said I thought EVH was most influential but I'm not saying he was the best. He himself knew he could not top Holdsworth but Holdsworth is not an easy listen for most people. EVH is.

He just had that 'something else'. Whether it was his unique timing or just the way he attacked the strings. That combined with his songwriting and killer rhythm playing (like all the greats) just made it a unique package.

I was thinking an interesting question is: Who is the most influential excluding Jimi and Eddie?
Excellent point! Being influential and a great player should be more distinguished. Some amazing artists are just hard to be influenced by, especially if their technique or ideas seem unobtainable like Shawn Lane. There may not be anyone in rock more influential than EVH or Hendrix, but there are certainly tons of players that I think are just plain better and inspired me way more, but I give credit that they were inspired by Hendrix and EVH. I’m younger than most here, so my bias is a little different

They asked Hendrix what it was like to be the greatest guitar player at the time. he said " I dont know ask Johnny Winter"

They asked Hendrix what it was like to be the greatest guitar player at the time. he said " I dont know ask Johnny Winter"
I've heard that. But I thought he also said "I'd like to be the best guitar player in this chair."

In any case, it might be a numbers game. Jimi influenced a smaller base of young wannabes...Eddie had a much bigger base to influence.

And consider the musical landscape between the two. Jimi was coming up alongside GREAT rock music. VH was coming up during a disco-lull.

I don't know about that. Jimi influenced everything in the harder rocking genre that came after him, at some level, for the generation that brought rock to the forefront. I suspect this forum is being a bit myopic in this regard as most of us grew up with EVH, after Jimi had already completely altered the landscape. If anything, Jimi's mostly limited in influence because he died so young, and also because those influenced by him propagated out so quickly after him that they are seen as influencers.

While EVH is huge for those of us who grew up in the time of the 80's glam-metal era, and specifically on that music, I'm not certain he's all that influential outside of that. He doesn't lack influence otherwise, of course, but again I wonder if this forum's age-bias is showing in this regard. I don't really now for certain, but it's worth thinking about, at the very least.

Eddie was always head and shoulders above everybody else , EVH is responsible for inspiring the overwhelming majority of what many players of today consider their guitar hero's . Eddies not a musician he's a magician on the guitar .

Never forget that it's never been Eddie himself praising himself it's always been everybody else on the planet that has put him as the greatest ever and the undisputed king of rock guitar . Nobody in history has been talked about more and copied more than EVH . A talent so immense that even George Lynch said Eddies from an entirely different planet and he felt like giving up playing guitar entirely after seeing him in person for the first time. Steve Vai said he was in awe when he was in the presence of Eddie

That's how massive of an impact he had . Take away Eddies tapping and he's still the greatest ever , nobody to this day can come close to his mastery rhythm playing which was just as incredible as his lead playing .

Having said that I don't like Hagar era VH, I'm a diehard Roth only guy.
Eddie’s phrasing is so cool . It’s alien and opened up melody ! Instead of here’s 12 notes we all use he came up with SOUNDS . Eddie was alien jazz . Then Steve Vai was great at thst

I love the guys vibrato, the first time I heard UFO that's what stood out to me. Him, Ty Tabor and Gary Moore had way more influence on me than Eddie, and I love Eddies playing, but the tap thing was done to death in the 80's. Everybody we saw was doing it... It got way too predictable at some point, but no denying his influence. Probably caused more people to pick up a guitar than anyone besides Hendrix
Different strokes...

Back