Scott retiring??

War_in_D

I read somewhere in another thread here, that Scott was retiring? Anyone heard anything about this? If so, I'm ordering that Street Rod head before he calls it quits!

Whoa, I had not heard that. I did hear that he was slowing down, had fewer (if any?) people working for him. At one point it was a 4 man operation. Still very small!

Whoa, I had not heard that. I did hear that he was slowing down, had fewer (if any?) people working for him. At one point it was a 4 man operation. Still very small!

Yeah, I hope it's just an internet rumor. When I had my QR built last year, he told me that he was a one man shop now and doing everything himself from start to finish. Sad in a way, but also kinda cool in a way knowing that he basically was the only one to touch that QR. When I placed the order, I asked him to have everyone that worked on the amp sign the inside of it somewhere. That's when he told me that he was "it". So, I asked him to make sure and sign it. I don't know if he did, because I haven't cracked it open but I hope it's in there somewhere.

I sent Scott an email and asked.

He's probably tired of people asking by now.

He's been a 1 man shop for some time now.

You can safely open your amp and peak around. Basically just don't touch the guts with your bare hands. There is some safety stuff I put into my biasing tutorial that will guide you. You'll need to do that anyway when you get your new tubes. Happy to guide you.

You can safely open your amp and peak around. Basically just don't touch the guts with your bare hands. There is some safety stuff I put into my biasing tutorial that will guide you. You'll need to do that anyway when you get your new tubes. Happy to guide you.

Appreciate it! I've been pokin' around in amps for a looong time. LOL Ain't skeerd. I just haven't had any reason to get in there yet. I'm hoping that my Nitro that Scott has will be done soon, that's the one getting the KT88 swap but he'll be doing the work on that one since it's already there getting the "fullly loaded" mods added to it. When I talked to him last, which was about 2-3 weeks ago he said he was getting ready to get started on it.

I had my QR open not too long ago for biasing new tubes and I noticed he signed a bible verse inside the chassis. I can’t remember the number but it was Romans. That might be his signature thing and I’d be curious to know if he does this with all his amps

I had my QR open not too long ago for biasing new tubes and I noticed he signed a bible verse inside the chassis. I can’t remember the number but it was Romans. That might be his signature thing and I’d be curious to know if he does this with all his amps

That's cool. I bet it's Romans 10:13. He has that bible verse on the website as well.

"For, Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Yup, Scott is a devout Christian, that's his calling card. Every amp has a verse inside, not sure if he always uses the same one tho...

Yup, Scott is a devout Christian, that's his calling card. Every amp has a verse inside, not sure if he always uses the same one tho...

That's got me curious now, may have to open up the QR and see what's in there.

ya that's got me interested as well, since I just got my SuperSport recently, he did most if not all of the work on it.
I have 5 different kinds of EL-34's sitting here in a box, I've been meaning to roll them and see if I can hear the difference from one to another
but the JJ's I have in there sound so good (NOS well new never used but old like 4 years old before they started having reliability issues).
I've got New Mullards, EH, Tung sols, older Winged C's and Svetlanas,.... and more JJ's :)
I've heard good reviews of the new JJ EL34II's , I may need to grab a pair of those as well. (actually just ordered a matched pair)
Man I hope he's not retiring , that would be a serious loss :(

I would say I am a pretty novice tube expert.
I mean I have some experience but not as much as some of you other guys.
The Mullards that came with my QR still work fine but I've rotated through some others.
I have JJ EL34 IIs in there now recommended by PDC.
I got them from Eurotubes and they were perfectly matched.
I got some SED =C= from Laura before the big price jump and was happy with those too.
No power tube experience with most others, like Tung Sol, EH, Svetlanas, Chinese, NOS, etc

I would say doing a 'quick' power tube comparison would be hard because the biases will be different. Let me know if you do that though Kmanick what you find.

Also, I'm not a religious person but here is mine FWIW.

Attachments

• pic1.JPG
    pic1.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 59
I've heard good reviews of the new JJ EL34II's , I may need to grab a pair of those as well. (actually just ordered a matched pair)
I've heard great things about the JJ EL34II's as well. lots of people say they're brighter and overall better sounding than the "regular" JJ EL34s. Although I am almost interested in trying out the JJ E34Ls in my Nitro 😮

I had the JJ EL34L's in my JVM, the add a lot of bottom , which in the JVM was a good thing, I don't know if that's a good thing in a Nitro,
I know I don't want any more bottom with the Super Sport.

I had the JJ EL34L's in my JVM, the add a lot of bottom , which in the JVM was a good thing, I don't know if that's a good thing in a Nitro,
I know I don't want any more bottom with the Super Sport.
yeah that may not be a "good" thing for the Nitro. Amp already has tons of low end. Just need a power tube to keep that low end tight.

Talked to Scott today about my Nitro and the possibility of a Street Rod head (I'll update that thread separately). I mentioned something about hearing that he was retiring, and asked if there was any truth to that rumor. He said that he's "kinda" been retired for about the last five years, but he's still building amps because he loves what he does... He just does it on his own terms now. He did mention that the last couple of years have been crazy busy, and he actually has a part time helper now so that's good. I was really worried that with the whole Covid mess, it would have put a damper on his business but it seems that the opposite is true. So he's not officially retired (or retiring) but while we were on the subject, he made mention of being approached about being bought out. He said that there hasn't been any talk about money, or any kind of contract, etc.. but it would appear that this option is out there and may be on the horizon. I told him, that whatever he decides to so, I hope that if he is bought out they stay true to what he's created. He agreed, and said that if they were to ship production overseas it would just kill him. All I know, is that I'm getting my amp(s) built now.. just in case. LOL

Back