Secret to tight gain when modding? (2204 content)

I was on the metro forum for years but a lot of stuff had been removed, I vaguely remember the mod 5 but I thought it was similar to what Michael R/T does with his mod. Essentially a 2204 with some tweaks/bypass caps, a PPIMV, and maybe a filtering change and then your hands doing the work? But I think it has also become a superlead with a one wire mod and a few tweaks with the PPIMV to really bring the goods. I thought about trying that for fun too at some point.

If I recall, the "5" in mod 5 means that there were five changes to a stock Marshall. The PPIMV was one change. Another was the insertion of a 220k resistor between treble output and master volume.

V2a":1hx9z2uz said:
If I recall, the "5" in mod 5 means that there were five changes to a stock Marshall. The PPIMV was one change. Another was the insertion of a 220k resistor between treble output and master volume.

You should wip up your own version of this mod, it is the holy grail for EVH tone nerds and would probably get a lot of interest...throw a Jose in it and done.

Kapo_Polenton":3jk6udqp said:
V2a":3jk6udqp said:

You should wip up your own version of this mod, it is the holy grail for EVH tone nerds and would probably get a lot of interest...throw a Jose in it and done.

The main ingredient in the Mod 5 recipe was Rockstah's fingers....

V2a":u4zy5xvq said:
Kapo_Polenton":u4zy5xvq said:
V2a":u4zy5xvq said:

The main ingredient in the Mod 5 recipe was Rockstah's fingers....

100% ..same with anyone else that gets the EVH sound through their Superleads or Friedmans or anything. Same goes for guys who do a good Mamsteen or anyone with a notable sound. You know one guy that I have not heard a good version / sound a like of though? Totally unrelated but a guy who is as big hero as EVH in my mind, Schenker. That vibrato. Give that guy a Marshall circuit with some diodes and watch out!

1meg gain pot on your 2204. Friedman puts a resistor across that so end up being 250k in the DS for instance. 1M pot will get mushy at higher settings. Reduce pot value, increase gain elsewhere.

1meg gain pot on your 2204. Friedman puts a resistor across that so end up being 250k in the DS for instance. 1M pot will get mushy at higher settings. Reduce pot value, increase gain elsewhere.
I had to do similar on a Langner-ish mod. Then I noticed that the SS100 pre was almost the same circuit except the 3rd/4th stage were flipped such that there was a 68k/100k divider where the 1M gain pot was and the Gain control/peaker were one stage later in circuit. That lower resistance there (either 250k pot or 68k/100k divider) seems to tighten it up.

Last edited:
Back