Seymour Duncan Custom SH5 or Dimarzio Super Distortion

nitro":1t8frjj7 said:
The Dimarzio Super II can also be used in the bridge.
Yeah, but above you said, my description sounded like the Super II, which would not be the case since I said my 1300 measured 13.49K and sounded a bit hotter than a 12K+ Super D. The Super II is less than 9K so there is no way it is going to sound like a hotter Super D with more sparkle on the top end. You confuse the hell outta me sometimes nitro! ;)

Steve

nitro":59i8l6s3 said:
The Super II is similar in spec to the 1400 mighty mite not the 1300.

Sure, but above you responded to my post about what I thought the 1300 sounded like with this:

nitro":59i8l6s3 said:
That sounds very similar to the Dimazrio Super II.

See why I'm confused?

Steve

I missed out on a 59/custom on eBay for $50 shipped. Someone bought it now befor me!

sah5150":3p7q1l2t said:
charvelstrat81":3p7q1l2t said:
Bronco":3p7q1l2t said:
charvelstrat81":3p7q1l2t said:
I have tried the super d,custom, MM 1300,MM1800, custom-custom, custom -5,EVH frankenstein,78,2nd degree BB, Arcane brownbucker and to be honest the mighty mite 1400 vintage pickup is the closest to VH I i have heard/tried.
it is a PAF overwound tone with a ceramic magnet and if VH I tone is what you are after
get one of these then, :thumbsup:
You are also describing a Duncan Custom, which you already tried as well...how does it compare to the 1400?
the duncan custom has a bigger bass and more output
the 1400 reminds me of a custom lite :thumbsup:
Yeah, the 1400 is less than 9K...

Steve
Mine is 9.1K to be exact and it is not like the dimarzio super II
I own both and trust me the super II is a metal sounding pu and the 1400 is a PAF type.
it is mighty mite's PAF it was called the Mighty mite vintage 1400 and looks just like the 1300.
I also have the 1800 which is a 1300 with solid slug poles. sounds the same but has a little more outupt.
MightyMiteVintage2.jpg

Also, I haven't researched the specs but the Duncan Warren DeMartini signature pickup might be worth looking into.

When van halen 1(first album)was recorded in 1977 and released in 1978 the only pickups that were around were Gibson,Dimarzio and Mighty Mite duncan pickups weren't around.

FrankieVA":1uu0jasc said:
Also, I haven't researched the specs but the Duncan Warren DeMartini signature pickup might be worth looking into.
18K output - not remotely VH-like in my experience. I didn't really like it...

Steve

nitro":2jfdp69t said:
When van halen 1(first album)was recorded in 1977 and released in 1978 the only pickups that were around were Gibson,Dimarzio and Mighty Mite duncan pickups weren't around.
Duncans were available as a custom wind, seymour was winding pickups as a one man operation in '77,
wayne charvel told eddie about seymour before the record was made.
Right before seymour was commissioned to make pu's for mighty mite, i have one they have a nickle baseplate
instead of brass.

I just tried the Dimarzio Super Distortion its very harsh and didn't like it.I hear more of a hot rodded PAF on Van halen 1.All PAF pickups have alnico magnets,so I believe Eds PAF was definitely wound hotter like the Duncan custom custom or just a PAF(not rewound for hotter sound) with a overdrive/distortion pedal upfront for Van halen 1 to give it that extra gain/distortion that we hear on van halen 1.

vh1tone":1k46jklp said:
Hey nitro,

Check out a Duncan JB, it sounds better than the Custom and the SD :)

https://soundcloud.com/vh1tone/van-hale ... an-jb-test
yeah the JB is a incredible pickup and it is a icon like the super d by dimarzio.
For the VH thing the JB was used during the kramer days. ;)
Nitro between the super d and the custom they are similar to a point(ceramic,13.8K higher output)
but the dimarzio uses a extra tall ceramic mag giving it more output than the duncan
the duncan is more "PAF on roids" IMHO and i prefer that.
Me and the super D never got along lately for whatever reason everytime i try it i just dont like it?
and what is really funny is that the super d was the very first aftermarket pu i ever owned(1978) and i used to LOVE IT :confused:
some say the newer ones are not like the old ones? maybe thats it?

Moj je 9.1K točnije i nije kao dimarzio super II
Posjedujem oba i vjeruj mi da je super II pu koji zvuči metalno, a 1400 je PAF tip.
to je moćni mite's PAF zvao se Mighty mite vintage 1400 i izgleda isto kao 1300.
Također imam 1800 koji je 1300 sa čvrstim motkama. zvuči isto, ali ima malo više snage.
MightyMiteVintage2.jpg
Hey Please tell if you want what is different between Super2vs mighty Mite 1400.Which is have more shine and sparkle on top.

I once played a real 1959 Les Paul Custom with an ancient Super Distortion. It was awesome, but every other Super D I've played sounds like muck in comparison.

There are several pickups that sound perfect to me. The Duncan Custom is one of them.

Jednom sam pustio pravi Les Paul Custom iz 1959. s prastarim Super Distortionom. Bilo je super , ali svaki drugi Super D koji sam igrao zvuči kao sranje u usporedbi.

Postoji nekoliko pickupa koji mi zvuče savršeno. Duncanov običaj jedan je od njih.

same here, all dimarzio's seem to be darker and smoother on the top
I like the duncans aggressive top end and bright presence.
Hi Please what you think about Super2.Is it have enough presence in top.
Which Saymour Ducan you think that is better is it Distorzion.

Super 2 ima dobre visoke tonove i prisutnost.

Više mi se sviđa Custom nego Distortion.

Super 2 has good treble and presence.

I like the Custom better than the Distortion.
Well nice.Which you mean Custom 5.It is very bright.

Im very doubt between Super2 and MM1400 in bridge Jackson Warrior bassewood.I dont know which have more presence in top.
MM1400 is nice but have more hairy but I dont need brown sound.
I want bright chrisp crunch harsh picks.

Back