Should Marshall Bring Back The DSL Series?

Bring Back The DSL?

• Improved DSL Series

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • I'd Prefer The Sound of The JVM

Votes: 12 34.3%

• Total voters
I had number 18. The JCM 2000 DSL was my first tube amp. I had saved all of my money from a min wage job at the time but couldn't afford the rectifier I wanted . I bought a guitar mag, probably guitar world and saw that they were releasing a head that at the time was marketed as the marshall answer to a rectifier. I took all of my money to the local shop, pre-ordered the amp and went home with a marshall 4x12. two months later I got my amp. I was really pissed at the time that the shop had opened the box and everyone played it though in retrospect I probalby would have done the same thing!

wound up selling it to guitar center for 600 bux a few years later for a mesa 50/50, sometimes i wish i still had it so I guess my vote is yes, even though they are not actually fully discontinued.

I thought they still made the DSL??? Either way... The Vintage Modern is the Marshall for me. With a decent boost it's a phenominal tone machine.

yngzaklynch":w2mcrhx3 said:
I thought they still made the DSL??? Either way... The Vintage Modern is the Marshall for me. With a decent boost it's a phenominal tone machine.

No, they discontinued the DSL. They came out with two limited runs: the 1923 (DSL 50 head & combo) and the DSL100MLB (apparently different piping and slightly different head cab, but I've heard the circuitry is cheaper - I don't know that to be true or untrue).

After playing a JVM210H and a DSL today I just wish Marshall could make a ripping amp period. Some good gain in the JVM but it has this narrow peaking Midrange that has no width to it. You couldn't dial it out until there was no midrange, almost like a slightly cocked wah. I think it was a better Slayer sound than the Kerry King 2203. The DSL just can't hold a candle to an original 2203 and a good pedal.

sixstrings":3e296cin said:
yngzaklynch":3e296cin said:

No, they discontinued the DSL. They came out with two limited runs: the 1923 (DSL 50 head & combo) and the DSL100MLB (apparently different piping and slightly different head cab, but I've heard the circuitry is cheaper - I don't know that to be true or untrue).

They did not discontinue the DSL now or ever. It's still on their site and has been since it came out. I talked to Mitch Colby at Korg USA and he said it is their best selling amp. They had it on the back burner while they released the JVM. I just had an MLB here and the circuit is the same. The chassis, piping, and feet are different. They went to the style chassis they use on the JVM, VM, and KK2203.
Jerry

JerryP":37aqmuh0 said:
sixstrings":37aqmuh0 said:
yngzaklynch":37aqmuh0 said:

They did not discontinue the DSL now or ever. It's still on their site and has been since it came out. I talked to Mitch Colby at Korg USA and he said it is their best selling amp. They had it on the back burner while they released the JVM. I just had an MLB here and the circuit is the same. The chassis, piping, and feet are different. They went to the style chassis they use on the JVM, VM, and KK2203.
Jerry

Well Korg doesn't know their asses from a hole in the ground because I just talked to Korg a few days ago and they said it was discontinued and only offered in limited releases (1923 & MLB). I also heard from people I know that deal with the Texas regional rep who said the same thing.

In fact, I heard that Marshall doesn't even produce the DSL in the UK anymore.

sixstrings":1c4gvpxe said:
Perhaps a new and improved DSL series. Same sound but some common problems fixed. Maybe a new 50w EL34 DSL combo too. The JCM2000 series was successful for a long time. Why stop a good thing? Anyone else think they should start reproducing the DSL series?

The Plexi and JCM 800 were hugely popular (much more so than the current offerings), and much simpler to make than the DSL, JVM, etc. Seems to be the trend with Marshall over the past thirty years to blow away anything that is actually awesome, and then "reissue" it with crappier components for twice the price.

Variable":3irkzbug said:
sixstrings":3irkzbug said:
Perhaps a new and improved DSL series. Same sound but some common problems fixed. Maybe a new 50w EL34 DSL combo too. The JCM2000 series was successful for a long time. Why stop a good thing? Anyone else think they should start reproducing the DSL series?

The Plexi and JCM 800 were hugely popular (much more so than the current offerings), and much simpler to make than the DSL, JVM, etc. Seems to be the trend with Marshall over the past thirty years to blow away anything that is actually awesome, and then "reissue" it with crappier components for twice the price.

That being said, I still wish I had a JCM 800 vintage reissue. I have a 1959hw and it's freaking incredible. I know they were badass back in the day, but I still think they're good now (the vintage reissues that is). I like the effects loop and the amp sounds and feels the same to me as an old one.

I mean, I'm not anything near an expert, but I think the vintage reissue stuff is awesome. Real expensive though. I'm sure a 2009 vintage reissue amp will sound pretty cool after 15 years of use when the electronics have all been broken in and abused.

I would, however, like to know how exactly they are cheaping out the reissue stuff. I was always under the impression that they were worth it. A vintage amp tech told me the reissue stuff was pretty good so that's about all I can say about it.

Back