Slayer quits

The allure was because they were pretty much one of the heavier bands of their time. The have put out some very iconic albums and deserve all the respect imo.

Divine was the last one I really got into but the latest album was actually pretty good for a change. Their so old now, it is about time they hung it up but they had a hell of a run.

I’ve never seen them live sadly but these guys were a HUGE influence on me growing up. I never got into the Satan thing but Slayer was great in their day.

Idk if I’ll go see this one either. I was tempted to go last year but for $85 nobody wanted to go. Maybe this time I can get a few people to come out will see.

Because it isn't about the shitty solos, it is about the controlled chaos, power of the rythms, the thunderous drums, Araya's vocals and tone and the perfect blend of hard punk and thrash. The early albums up to Seasons is full of great actual songs and material. Live, they always brought it. I definitely got it. Besides, it wasn't just about satanists, it was also a commentary on politics and the state of the world.

I thought they were a cool band. Saw them years ago, and it was a fun show. My ears were ringing for days though. That show probably caused my tinnitus. Certainly didn’t help.

Kapo_Polenton":2evx7g80 said:
Besides, it wasn't just about satanists, it was also a commentary on politics and the state of the world.

Yeah for sure. From what I remember most of the material was actually about politics.

Nice clickbait just to talk shit about the band. They are doing a farewell tour and then they will stop touring. whatever dude.

Kapo_Polenton":1crkz5ss said:
Because it isn't about the shitty solos, it is about the controlled chaos, power of the rythms, the thunderous drums, Araya's vocals and tone and the perfect blend of hard punk and thrash. The early albums up to Seasons is full of great actual songs and material. Live, they always brought it. I definitely got it. Besides, it wasn't just about satanists, it was also a commentary on politics and the state of the world.

^^^
This X 1000 :thumbsup:

Their songs run the gambit on topics, though of course mostly darker topics. I don't recall any actual satanic bits in there, which I think is mostly things people read into them that wanted to see that. Their lyrics aren't really poetry of any sort and I don't find them great, but the topics themselves are generally worthy of song.

I like their stuff. It's honest is probably the best way to put it. It isn't cleaned up, heavily treated, but just raw metal delivered on a platter.

They aren't my favorite band, but I certainly enjoy them. I also have massive respect for them sticking to their guns when all the other thrash bands seemed to try to go more commercial appeal.

I can’t stand their music, but I see why some people do. Even though I don’t really care for them, I respect them for their longevity and the fact that they never drastically changed their sound to be something they’re not.

Epic, Epic band. They should have retired when Jeff died, after satisfyingly immediate obligations etc. Like the greats they have their own sound, often imitated but never duplicated. Live, they are a force of nature. I've been in some gnarly pits at hardcore shows, in smaller places, but no pit erupts like a Slayer pit. I think it's time for them to call it but they have had one of the most steadfast and satisfyingly true metal careers of all time. Divine Intervention and Diabolus said a huge fuck you in the 90's to anyone who said metal was over or wondered if Slayer would change with the times. I know Kerry thinks Diabolus is their Nu Metal album but it still just rips. They are the AC/DC of thrash. But I don't even really consider them thrash as like AC/DC they are their own genre. Slayer music. Like the metal greats they had that amazing run of records in the mid to late 80's that will stand the test of time. Unlike almost all bands from that time they never faltered in their intensity.
I remember being at Berklee in the early 90's and people would poo poo their solo's and they just didn't get it. Their heads were so far up their asses trying to be the next Schofield or prog wunderkind they forgot music is art and Slayer's solo's are so perfect for the music they play. They totally capture and accentuate the feeling of the bands material and also the lyrics. A chaotic, intense, manic bullet train through Dante's Inferno.

Personal Slayer highlights...Seasons tour at The Orpheum in Boston. When we all still had long hair and leather jackets. Every row, head banging in unison. Fucking Awesome!

Mid 90's, taking a girl buddy to her first Slayer show in Seattle and when they broke into Raining Blood as the first song, the second the pit broke out she was down in the most intense flurry of human flesh I'd ever seen. She was so overcome by it I had to take her to a seat..LOL....(I went back in...)

Kapo_Polenton":14m8ufqx said:

Well said.
Love these guys and have seen them a ton of times over the years.
Will definitely catch this tour.
:rock:

That’s too bad, I was never the huge “SLAYER!!!” guy, but I always liked them. Seemed like a band that would never call it quits. Seen them a few times and always a good show.

As for the satanic stuff, it’s like watching a horror movie. Who doesn’t like a good horror movie? I loved The Omen...

Tone Monster":nbi9dg14 said:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/slayer-plot-retirement-final-tour-165146516.html

Finally. I realize they are respected but not really sure why. Weak satanic lyrics and vocals combined with Turkey fight solos. Never understood the allure. :thumbsdown:

So many fronts to their "allure". Their logo, their sound which includes their erie Slayer harmony, the drumming and guitar styles especially when Reign in blood came out, that changed everything heavy... then there was just that period in time, either you were a hair spray glam fag or not... Myself and all my friends were sold on that posers die mentality back then :LOL: :LOL:

Honestly sort of bummed their hanging it up but better that than keep putting out albums and touring but not really into it. I've watched a lot of recent Tom Araya interviews, he wants to hang loose and be a cool grandpa, power to him! :rock:

rstites":3gwyrnld said:
I don't recall any actual satanic bits in there, which I think is mostly things people read into them that wanted to see that.

:rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlnCdENq4Jg?t=56

Existing on damnation's edge
The priest had never known
To witness such a violent show
Of power overthrown

Angels fighting aimlessly
Still dying by the sword
Our legions killing all in sight
To get the one called Lord

The gates of Hell lie waiting as you see
There's no price to pay, just follow me
I can take your lost soul from the grave
Jesus knows your soul can not be saved

Crucify your so-called "Lord"
He soon shall fall to me
Your souls are damned, your God has fell
To slave for me eternally
Hell awaits...

The Reaper guards the darkened gates
That Satan calls his home
Demons feed the furnace where
The dead are free to roam

Lonely children of the night
There's seven ways to go
Each leading to the burning hole
That Lucifer controls

Priests of Hades seek the sacred star
Satan sees the answer lies not far
Zombies screaming souls cry out to you
Satanic laws prevail your life is through

Pray to the moon... when it is round
Death with you shall then abound
What you seek for can't be found
In sea or sky or underground

[Lead - Hanneman]

Now I have you deep inside my everlasting grasp
The seven bloody Gates of Hell
Is where you'll live your last

Warriors from Hell's domain
Will bring you to your death
The flames of Hades burning strong
Your soul shall never rest

The gates of Hell lie waiting as you see
There's no price to pay just follow me
I can take your lost soul from the grave
Jesus knows your soul can not be saved

Sacrifice the lives of all
I know they soon shall die
Their souls are damned to rot in Hell
And keep the fires growing deep inside
Hell awaits...

[Lead - King]

Clearly the OP isn't very intelligent when it comes to ground breaking music...maybe he is under 30?

either way he is totally wrong in his view....I totally understand why you might not like them, but to not understand their importance to metal is just pathetic :doh:

sytharnia1560":gd6qnlle said:
I totally understand why you might not like them, but to not understand their importance to metal is just pathetic :doh:

That’s a good quote and spot on for many bands/players.

Who cares whether it's "satanic" or not? I don't understand why any grown person with an adult brain would be like "Oh no! OMG!!...They're talking about Satan!!!" So what? It's no more a bad thing than writing songs about Darth Vader or Doctor Doom.

sytharnia1560":3c2ow73q said:
Clearly the OP isn't very intelligent when it comes to ground breaking music...maybe he is under 30?

either way he is totally wrong in his view....I totally understand why you might not like them, but to not understand their importance to metal is just pathetic :doh:

My guess is that he didn't know/care much about the more "extreme" side of metal, which owes a lot to Slayer (and the Teutonic 3) in general.

sytharnia1560":2e4mique said:

Not sure, but TBH (and this is pretty cool) from going on music groups on FB and other forums. I have actually seen a lot of really young slayer fans, even today. That is pretty damn awesome to me, not to mention hearing this stuff in the late 80's/early 90's was a completely different thing with the music they had at the time vs. the music that is around today.

Idk what to say about the Satan stuff. I can respect someone's decision to not listen to a band that even mentions that kind of thing but here is my take on it. Slayer talked about Satan a little. They talked about God a lot. They also covered politics and some of their best songs were about serial killers. They are not Satan worshipers by any means. I don't expect people who dislike the image to read into what they say but if you actually did...You would see they are not.

It was an image for them, they simply did it to scare people. When they came out it was nothing but glam rock and they wanted to set themselves apart.

Kerry actually considers himself an athiest and he is the one who wrote most of the Satanic lyrics.

Tom is the one who wrote about the serial killers. His father was a minister and Tom has been quoted to believe in a higher being and has stated he does not let other band mates lyrics interfere with his beliefs.

Jeff was brought up in a family of war veterans and Dave is the one who drew their logo. Although there is not much info about Jeff or Dave regarding religious beliefs I believe that neither of them are devil worshipers. I think if OP read the lyrics and thought about them a little he would not think so either.

Back