SmallBox & Fryette PS

Waldo Nova

Has anyone here tried the Fryette with the SmallBox? There are so many attenuaters these days, wondering if one is better suited to the SmallBox versus the others and what your sonic experiences have been.

As good as the MV is on all Friedman amps I never understood why anyone would feel the need to use an attenuator. Maybe they like changing their power tubes more often? 🤷🏼‍♂️

On his podcast Dave usually mentions the Fryette over any other attenuator, so that's probably your best bet.

I use a PS and also a Captor X with the SB. Yes, Dave’s MV sounds good, but the SB absolutely sounds better and responds quite differently with the master cranked up. MV low = good. MV on about 6 = great. It’s pretty easy to hear and feel an appreciable difference.

Of course not but do you really think Dave tweaks these amps wide open or close to it when he’s designing them?
So using that logic, and if you can't play with your SB on 6, wouldn't the amp sound better cranked (and attenuated/re-amped)?

I had probably the first Friedman Smallbox out in the wild.
It's a totally different amp at ear-friendly volumes than it is with the master volumes past noon.
The Plexi channel alone is gold.
Such a killer amp. It's what the DSL should be.
The master volume is great.
I'd much prefer using the MV than dampening the tone with a PS.

Last edited:
I never felt the need to use one with the Smallbox. I bought one to try it, and unloaded it on Reverb within a few days. I saw no benefit that a boost pedal didn't solve. Certainly doesn't have a hair-trigger MV either. Sounded great at lower volumes.

I had probably the first Friedman Smallbox out in the wild.
It's a totally different amp at ear-friendly volumes than it is with the master volumes past noon.
The Plexi channel alone is gold.
Such a killer amp. It's what the DSL should be.
The master volume is great.
I'd much prefer using the MV than dampening the tone with a PS.
I never cared for the plexi channel. I found it tubby, and no pedal I had would tighten it up.

Back