So i heard/saw a Diezel Herbert finally

vchizzle":3918rsdk said:
You're criticizing the tone of an amp you haven't even twisted a knob on :confused: I'm not a HUGE fan of Diezel for myself, but they're ultra-tweakable...the guy could've just had channel 3 set up poorly, or not to your tastes. They are super quiet as far as hum goes, so something must've been outta whack there.

everyone usually does anyway on youtube clips?

i believe hearing one in real life should be a definitive qualification on the way it sounds.

and for $4,600 new - there shouldnt be a bad setting anywhere to my personal opinion. but each to their own.

as far as where it sat - there was ironically someone else playing a JCM900 combo with a massive pedalboard. it sounded like the usual marshall to me. but as far as where the diezel sat in the mix - the marshall walked all over it. you could hear anything the diezel was doing. i blame part of it on the sound crew but between the drums the JCM900 and the bass the diezel got lost in the mix alot until he used the clean channel or went for a solo.

like i said - i wanted to like it but i was let down pretty hard.

I own a herbert. It was my dream amp for years and i finnally saved up enough coin to get one. Having a metal backround i thought id be on channel 3 alot. Interesting thing is I think my favorite channel is 2- . It just sounds perfect and very clear and dynamic to my ears. It covers alot of ground. When you crank the gain you get a beautiful lead sound and i think i prefer it to channel 3 lead tone. With all that being said i still love channel three and i think i may be in the minority on this but it makes a pretty cool rhythm tone. Channel three is brutal. As far as amps go im staying with the herbert for a long time. It responds better to my playing and ears more so then any amp ive owned or tried before. But as they say each to their own :rock: .

No big surprise. There's a reason amps like the 5150 are so popular for metal stuff, they sound amazing and don't cost $4000. Tons of people prefer the sound of cheaper amps like that compared to boutique stuff. I'm sure the Herbert is a nice amp, but is it worth 8 times the cost of a used 5150? Not at all.

realityescapes":1hzxlcud said:
I own a herbert. It was my dream amp for years and i finnally saved up enough coin to get one. Having a metal backround i thought id be on channel 3 alot. Interesting thing is I think my favorite channel is 2- . It just sounds perfect and very clear and dynamic to my ears. It covers alot of ground. When you crank the gain you get a beautiful lead sound and i think i prefer it to channel 3 lead tone. With all that being said i still love channel three and i think i may be in the minority on this but it makes a pretty cool rhythm tone. Channel three is brutal. As far as amps go im staying with the herbert for a long time. It responds better to my playing and ears more so then any amp ive owned or tried before. But as they say each to their own :rock: .
:rock: :thumbsup:

if somebody thinks herbie doesnt cut to the mix, they don't know how to EQ /adjust the midcut etc., IMHO. or they didn't play it with the good cab/speaker.

I never played with brass instruments or trumpets (can't stand that) but I think it would take it's space.

Herbert could easily bury ANYTHING, and not just in volume :rock:

Hell, My friend's bogner ubber was buried by a jcm2000 and his bassist with a generic amp.... go figure

lolzgreg":1xfh9oix said:
They are not worth the money they charge for 'em, period.

I'm sorry to disagree, but they so are. I've been all over the place & other than Diezels I've found only Plexis & Tweeds that impressed me really a lot. There are a lot of great amps out there, but none of them has that Diezel lower mid grind, which is what makes them so special. There are many higher mid grind amps - Bogners, Soldanos, Marshalls & they are all great, but there is only one lower mid grind amp brand that I know of.

the herbie is not an amp to own on a budget. definitely no problem in the mix though-anything but that. :thumbsup:

stefvorcide":3iqf6zou said:
if somebody thinks herbie doesnt cut to the mix, they don't know how to EQ /adjust the midcut etc., IMHO. or they didn't play it with the good cab/speaker.

I never played with brass instruments or trumpets (can't stand that) but I think it would take it's space.

Hell, My friend's bogner ubber was buried by a jcm2000 and his bassist with a generic amp.... go figure

the guy teaches music for a living - but his playing blows. it was through a diezel cabinet.

idk - i guess i need to give this amplifier a second chance. all i know is what i heard - and that marshall walked it in rhythm tones. now solo's and clean sounds the herbert was THE best tone heard over drums bass and the marshall. it really stood out and sounded great.

still though i keep my original statement. for $4,600 new i would hope you couldnt dial a bad sound in at all. but obviously whatever he was running was pretty awkward.

glpg80":1g50e8wm said:
stefvorcide":1g50e8wm said:

the guy teaches music for a living - but his playing blows. it was through a diezel cabinet.

idk - i guess i need to give this amplifier a second chance. all i know is what i heard - and that marshall walked it in rhythm tones. now solo's and clean sounds the herbert was THE best tone heard over drums bass and the marshall. it really stood out and sounded great.

still though i keep my original statement. for $4,600 new i would hope you couldnt dial a bad sound in at all. but obviously whatever he was running was pretty awkward.

$4600 is a hell of a wad of cash for an amp. As I said, I own it, but bought it used for $2900, otherwise I wouldn't have bought one. No doubt though, it is a bad ass. It takes all of about 5 minutes of tweaking and a front loaded cab to make Herbie breathe fire. It is pretty much in-your-face tone though, and nothing special....just a lot of it, which is fine if that is what you are after.

SK

Shark Diver":ibm20ndr said:
Me not too long ago playing my Diezel W/D/W rig. VH4/Herbie - 7 really cool tones. I found the Herbie too compressed for my taste in the long run. I liked the VH4 a little better. Herbie channel 2 in the (-) mode, and VH$ channel 3 were my favs. As I really started to explore all the amps I could, I found I preferred the more open amps, ie. SLO, Wizard, and I love the Marsha as well. Nothing wrong with the Diezels, but just not my thing once I got to play some other amps.

MewithPRSLA.jpg

Did you throw in your shoes to seal the deal on that rig? :LOL: :LOL:
How do you step on your pedals with no shoes? must hurt!

ok dreamers, yes its more than a peavey and many others but just keep telling yourself its not worth the money, just because you may not be able to drop the $$$$$ doesnt mean its not worth it.

2nd I ve been playing out with herbert and vh4 and have no problem cutting in a mix, played along with splawns, marshalls, peaveys, diamonds. I use no noise gate ch 2+ for dirty, ch3 for leads only. i have no problem with noise or feedback. I always get compliments on their tone live, learn to dial your shit in before you say it wont cut.AHHH that means mids?

sorry for the rant but i get tired of hearning about how any amp doesnt cut in a mix, its in the eq.
however, I do love when we mix a marshall or mesa or whatever then the two together really shine.

It never fails, any negative criticism of an expensive amp brings out the defensive butthurt fanboi's like clockwork. And they always assume the critics can't afford one. lolz

Shiny_Surface":xvoj55m8 said:
It never fails, any negative criticism of an expensive amp brings out the defensive butthurt fanboi's like clockwork. And they always assume the critics can't afford one. lolz

The cutting in the mix comment really gets em excited. I did hear a Herbert live and it sounded like crap, but i thought it was user-error. I like the Herbert myself but i know it would be tricky to dial in with a band.

I have a Herbert and a VH4 yet I seem to hate 99% of the clips I hear of these amps. :LOL: :LOL: I do like that Herbert video above though.

I've heard Ratt live and they sounded like total shit. Warren was using SLO's at the time. Went I acutally tried the amp out for myself it sounded great. Just my opinion but I wouldn't base my opinion on what I hear live unless I can play the amp for myself. To many other things can come into effect.

glpg80":29s7z97l said:
vchizzle":29s7z97l said:
You're criticizing the tone of an amp you haven't even twisted a knob on :confused: I'm not a HUGE fan of Diezel for myself, but they're ultra-tweakable...the guy could've just had channel 3 set up poorly, or not to your tastes. They are super quiet as far as hum goes, so something must've been outta whack there.

everyone usually does anyway on youtube clips?

i believe hearing one in real life should be a definitive qualification on the way it sounds.

and for $4,600 new - there shouldnt be a bad setting anywhere to my personal opinion. but each to their own.
Very true and its ridiculous IMO. Why I pretty much never comment negatively on something haven't played. Don't take it the wrong way, I'm just saying you maybe could have gotten a tone you like if you could've tried it yourself. I hear tones that I think suck all the time(on youtube or at shows) - out of amps I know can sound great :D
I don't care for Diezel much because of the compression thing either. I could use them in conjuction with another amp to get the cut & openess I prefer hearing.

Not having a bad setting anywhere is a pretty broad scope and alot of different things to different people -that's impossible. To some that is the case and the reason they spend $4600 on the amp :)

crabby":11f46rik said:
ok dreamers, yes its more than a peavey and many others but just keep telling yourself its not worth the money, just because you may not be able to drop the $$$$$ doesnt mean its not worth it.

LOL!

I really dont know why so many people get so heated over these debates.

As far as the price on them...... They are expensive but when you look at some other gear out there i can justify it in my head.

An example would be just recently i went into a music store and they had a hamer v on the wall. Sweet guitar and you could tell it was top notch. It was $4600. That was out the door price and not retail. Of course i realize im comparing apples to potatos here but.....

Music gear is expensive. I believe the Herbert sounds phenomanal and i would rather spend money on a sweet amp.

Now i bought my Herbie used for $3000 and would never be able to afford it at $4600. But id try :LOL: :LOL: .

Back