So I'm in a band again

splatter

Despite the fact that I can't breathe or sleep I went on an audition last night. I really thought that it was a mistake because I tried to go through the songs earlier in the day and for whatever reason (maybe the meds I'm on or fatigue) both my hands were cramping so bad that I couldn't play at all. I decided I would rather get there and bomb the audition than being labeled a flake.
So anyway it went well and I'm in the band :rock: . We are all old f$$ks but there is a lot of talent there. They are talking about doing all kinds of stuff from Rush to Kansas to Billy Joel and even an Elvis song. It is a bit outside what I usually do which is hair metal but I think it will be fun. The bass player seems to be the weak link but he is new and I hope just hasn't had time to learn the material yet. I'm really looking forward to learning the progressive stuff (learned Tom Sawyer this week for the audition) and also looking forward to seeing how we redo the stuff like the ELVIS song.v

Well done, man, and props for goin' for the audition in spite of how you felt.

Elvis? Man, that one's gonna be hard. If you play live 'though I s'pose it might help keep the chick numbers up.

Monkey Man":37jdndfq said:
Well done, man, and props for goin' for the audition in spite of how you felt.

Elvis? Man, that one's gonna be hard. If you play live 'though I s'pose it might help keep the chick numbers up.
Yea , its "Suspicious minds" the only Elvis song I can actually listen to .
Just listened to it a few minutes ago and now I'm not looking forward to it so much but hey maybe with some EVH style dives thrown in it will sound good :LOL: :LOL:

Honestly though I'm looking forward to just being the guitar player. NOT the band leader, I'll just keep my mouth shut and play my parts.I'm really looking froward to the progressive stuff . Tom Sawyer was a blast to play tonight and to the drummers credit he did a great job on it. Bass player has to come around though.

Suspicious Minds must surely be one of the least-painful do play, so I agree 100%.

Hopefully the band leader or whoever makes such decisions doesn't get carried away and throw a dozen of 'em into the set or you'll be in the unique position of being able to say, "It's me or Elvis". :LOL: :LOL:

Awesome, good luck! Sometimes the oddball song can work. With an old song like that you should be able to Youtube all sorts of different versions/takes of it for ideas. There could be spots for you to shine on it since it's not like a regular cover.

Full congrats to you Splatter for getting back on the horse.

When things are running smoothly there is no better fun than playing with a full live band so enjoy it all bro.

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

splatter":3ra2dz5x said:
Despite the fact that I can't breathe or sleep I went on an audition last night. I really thought that it was a mistake because I tried to go through the songs earlier in the day and for whatever reason (maybe the meds I'm on or fatigue) both my hands were cramping so bad that I couldn't play at all. I decided I would rather get there and bomb the audition than being labeled a flake.
So anyway it went well and I'm in the band :rock: . We are all old f$$ks but there is a lot of talent there. They are talking about doing all kinds of stuff from Rush to Kansas to Billy Joel and even an Elvis song. It is a bit outside what I usually do which is hair metal but I think it will be fun. The bass player seems to be the weak link but he is new and I hope just hasn't had time to learn the material yet. I'm really looking forward to learning the progressive stuff (learned Tom Sawyer this week for the audition) and also looking forward to seeing how we redo the stuff like the ELVIS song.v
Train Train UFO

so far with the 1st 10 songs Elvis hasn't reared his ugly head. However I'm afraid if my health doesn't improve I'm gonna have to drop out. I have 5 songs to learn before next friday and I'm so sick I can't sit up to play my guitar. I'm typing this laying in a recliner.

splatter":24y6j0p5 said:
so far with the 1st 10 songs Elvis hasn't reared his ugly head. However I'm afraid if my health doesn't improve I'm gonna have to drop out. I have 5 songs to learn before next friday and I'm so sick I can't sit up to play my guitar. I'm typing this laying in a recliner.

Do you need any official tabs for the songs to make it easier & quicker to learn them? If so, let me know what songs & I may have the TABS that I can send you asap.

Let me know bro.

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Shit man, hope you get well before then.

Here's the thing 'though: Any band member can come down with something that prevents gigging, any time. Just 'cause you're a new member doesn't mean it should be treated any differently IMHO. It's like starting a new job and requiring sick leave after the first day. Not great, but it happens.

D'ya think they'd "understand" if you had to forego the gig?

Monkey Man":359bmfu8 said:

Here's the thing 'though: Any band member can come down with something that prevents gigging, any time. Just 'cause you're a new member doesn't mean it should be treated any differently IMHO. It's like starting a new job and requiring sick leave after the first day. Not great, but it happens.

Well as of yet there is no gig. I was sick for the audition . Now I can’t breath good enough to stand up for any length of time . I don’t want to be the guy that’s holding everyone back. Also being lead guitar it’s best if I I can stay ahead.Im giving it till Friday to see how things progress if I’m not better I’ll tell them what’s going on and let them make the decision.

splatter":1zzpazfb said:
Monkey Man":1zzpazfb said:

Well as of yet there is no gig. I was sick for the audition . Now I can’t breath good enough to stand up for any length of time . I don’t want to be the guy that’s holding everyone back. Also being lead guitar it’s best if I I can stay ahead.Im giving it till Friday to see how things progress if I’m not better I’ll tell them what’s going on and let them make the decision.

Don't throw the towel in just yet.

Maybe having targets & working towards them will actually have you acclimatising to your condition more so?

Try not to believe what your head is telling you & focus on only your output? This may help you reconcile your true position with this band a little better?

All I can say is, our heads sometimes can mislead us so focusing on the outside, when needed, can help realign our thoughts. Just sayin'

Chin up bro, you can go the distance as you've come this far & power to you for doing so. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It sucks now but shouldn't you be better in a couple weeks? I would think this is a very excuse-able absence.

Hope you get better fast, not being able to breathe is the pits.

Back