So when you retube and amp....

threadkiller

Do you normally change out the preamp tubes as well or just the power? How do you know when the preamp tubes need changing? I was thinking my fryette 2502 needed a retube but wasn't sure. Stuck some power tubes in and my God did it make a difference. Didn't realize how anemic it had gotten until I put the new power tubes in. Wow. There are some 12ax7's in my power amp and didn't know if I should change them out. Also didn't know if I needed to put new pre's in my Mak4 or not. I know preamp tubes generally last longer than power tubes. Thoughts.

threadkiller":2mcutvs8 said:
Do you normally change out the preamp tubes as well or just the power? How do you know when the preamp tubes need changing? I was thinking my fryette 2502 needed a retube but wasn't sure. Stuck some power tubes in and my God did it make a difference. Didn't realize how anemic it had gotten until I put the new power tubes in. Wow. There are some 12ax7's in my power amp and didn't know if I should change them out. Also didn't know if I needed to put new pre's in my Mak4 or not. I know preamp tubes generally last longer than power tubes. Thoughts.

Its all personal taste. you don't need to change one to change the other. Pre amps are easy to mess around with because they dont requiring biasing. So just do some research, order what you want and try em out!

Power tubes need to be biased. So you cannot just pull one power tube and plug in another without biasing. Well, you could like they did in the 60s and 70s, but you risk a few things. So best just to get a tech to put them in and bias the amp.

Good luck!

I bought my power tubes from Fryette as a matched set for this amp. Plug and play per the manufacturer. No need to rebias or check bias per them.

Rule of thumb.
Power tubes 1-3 years replacement
Pre amp Tubes 2-5 years replacement
Capacitors 10 years

However I have played amps that were 50 years old with stock everything including tubes.

Preamp Tubes are so cheap I normally buy some to swap in different sockets for my taste. Its always smart to have a couple 12ax7 tubes laying around.

LukeCurd":nbj4vk1w said:
LP Freak":nbj4vk1w said:
Get a tube tester and all the guessing will be over. ;)

Around $600 used on ebay for a decent one. vs $7.99 for 12ax7.
Nah. About $300 for a Hickok 600A and it's a great tester. And every amp I own takes multiple 12ax7's and EL34's, 6L6's, ect. so do the math. And then it's usable on every other amp you might have too. But if you want to keep tossing out good tubes just because, then I guess your way is better. :thumbsup:

LP Freak":2aabjk8u said:
LukeCurd":2aabjk8u said:
LP Freak":2aabjk8u said:

Nah. About $300 for a Hickok 600A and it's a great tester. And every amp I own takes multiple 12ax7's and EL34's, 6L6's, ect. so do the math. And then it's usable on every other amp you might have too. But if you want to keep tossing out good tubes just because, then I guess your way is better. :thumbsup:

How many guitar players you know own a tube tester besides yourself. Its a great tool but so is a Scope, Variac, Frequency generator, and 100 watt dummy loads. There is no law saying you can't own any of these to service your own amps. But none of it is "Needed" for 99% of guitar players asking about replacing tubes.

Would you not agree?

LukeCurd":1f6j1721 said:
LP Freak":1f6j1721 said:
LukeCurd":1f6j1721 said:
LP Freak":1f6j1721 said:

How many guitar players you know own a tube tester besides yourself. Its a great tool but so is a Scope, Variac, Frequency generator, and 100 watt dummy loads. There is no law saying you can't own any of these to service your own amps. But none of it is "Needed" for 99% of guitar players asking about replacing tubes.

Would you not agree?
Dude I'm done talking to you and your threatening little PM's. Go away.

LP Freak":1pivzpxh said:
LukeCurd":1pivzpxh said:
LukeCurd":1pivzpxh said:

Would you not agree?
Dude I'm done talking to you and your threatening little PM's. Go away.

:LOL: :LOL:

I have a badass eico 667 paid 100.00 for it mint condition and had it calibrated 30.00 . Saves me thousands.

Preamp tubes can last a looong tome. Much longer than power tubes. And if you only play at bedroom levels power tubes can last a while too.

Depending on how many amps you have and how diligent you are about servicing your amp a tester makes sense. And it would give you the ability to experiment with different NOS tubes and really know what you've got left in them. Learn to Bias as well will give you a lot of options too.

But most guitarist I know don't do anything until a tube goes and then they just take an amp in and the service guy will recommend a retube based on time of last service without even testing.

Just depends if you are self reliant or don't care about paying techs.

Back