So who's the cool YouTubers?

Donnie B.

Banned
All the talk in the other thread about the dark sides of gear whores on Youtube,
let's see a few of your faves.

Watched this guy when I was looking into Strandberg and like his playing and presentation.

Mike is great. Quite the freaking resume too.

MARSHALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is in a different direction than what you are going for, but I really like justin sandercoe (justinguitar) and Kohle is the shit for whoring.

If I'm being honest I prefer channels where I learn something vs a commercial. Ben Eller, Andy Wood, David Walliman, Bernth, Jon Bjork(now that he is making more youtube videos), Kohler, etc.

I do like Ola too since most of his stuff is just entertainment. I also have a great bit of respect for him. He bought a pedal from one of my friends and insisted on paying full price after my friend tried to give it to him then offered to give him a discount. A lot of these other guys feel entitled to free shit or discounts(I know Jer and Bad.seed dont play that card) but imagine being a small builder and getting bombarded by every guy who has a couple thousand subscribers.

Also if I have to watch someone pitch raid shadow lessons, balding products, etc that's an instant unsubscribe. I was a patron to agufish and immediately unsubsribed after getting in an argument with him over doing commercials mid video. He basically said shut up and enjoy the free content then he compared himself to a car commercial during the superbowl. I was paying monthly to his patreon and monthly to youtube for no commercials and by doing commercials mid video he is negating my plus membership.

I prefer players channels and not gear reviewers. Johan is amazing - he does wonders recording Marshall’s which I’ve found to be a total PITA recently.

I watch the channels with updates on their own gear, touring musicians blogs, basement music covers even if they aren’t the best, and if the channels are just genuine musicians. I’m not a fan of gear talk shows on YouTube but that doesn’t mean they aren’t fun to watch once and a while.

I like that Euge Valovirta guy.
Although, his 84 JCM800 is not stock like he seems to mention all the time.
I still like his vids for entertainment and he is a nice dude.
I also like Johan, good guy with great info on old Marshall stuff, but I must admit, I HATE how he dials in his amps.
Sounds like broken glass on cement…
Just my opinion.

Leon Todd is great for rack stuff, Axe-FX stuff, and general all around ideas on how to set up effects and such.
Good player and a lovely chap but IMO he dials in some weak ass high gain tones. Maybe it’s his recording technique? :dunno:

Euge knows his shit and can dial some good tones, but this deadpan Finnish...pause...ehrm...delivery... kinda tires you down a bit.

I like Brett Kingman for to the point stuff, great playing and tones.
To a certain extent, I'm afraid when a channel gets beyond a certain size, the content makers typically start rehashing their schtick when it comes to idiosyncrasies or humour. I can handle Ola, although I feel he's 'doing a thing' these days, but HP42 (Henning) is too much for me. Great player and does show lots of the capabilities of gear, but man, that 'I'm a geek with offbeat humour' thing is getting really old.

I can't stand the vast majority of YouTubers, but I prefer the educational types like Ben Eller and Andy wood.

Raid shadow legends, keeps, or whatever commercial mid video means I don't give a fuck about your channel

I enjoy Mr. Carlson's Lab for tech and electronics stuff. I also enjoy Brad the Guitarologist.

Both are knowledge and educational and both of the guys are pretty chill in general.

I don't understand this whole wave of people all of a sudden reviewing gear on YouTube. I mean no disrespect to any of them , especially some of the fellow members here, this isn't directed at anyone specific or you guys.

I just kinda see it being kinda lame I guess most of the time, and I just question the credibility sometimes.Throw up a couple neon up lights , get a good camera and mic and all of a sudden someone is a Grammy winning producer, engineer or player influencing people.

Sure being able to check out a piece of equipment before buying it is cool , but meh I don't know ... guess I'm just getting old, im guilty of it to.

now ..... get off my Lawn! Lol

Back