So who's the cool YouTubers?

I don't understand this whole wave of people all of a sudden reviewing gear on YouTube. I mean no disrespect to any of them , especially some of the fellow members here, this isn't directed at anyone specific or you guys.

I just kinda see it being kinda lame I guess most of the time, and I just question the credibility sometimes.Throw up a couple neon up lights , get a good camera and mic and all of a sudden someone is a Grammy winning producer, engineer or player influencing people.

Sure being able to check out a piece of equipment before buying it is cool , but meh I don't know ... guess I'm just getting old, im guilty of it to.

now ..... get off my Lawn! Lol
What I think is funny is when a channel does this big opening credits scenes showing off a bunch of mediocre gear and they have fuck all credibility. Louis Torres, that Pariah vs Gear dude(although he actually seems like a nice guy), and the freaking tone king...

You can tell the difference between the guys who at one point were or are gigging musicians vs the guys in their house playing half assed chugs that 99.999% of the rest of us do(who for some reason think they are somehow superior to everyone else). Also there are a ton of guys in every facebook group who will post links to their shitty video in every group you are in but they never contribute to any conversations...

I guess Im just jaded. I really hate that a lot of gear channels blurred the line between a review and a demo. I would rather someone show me how to use a piece of gear or tell me some history. Like there is a channel called Totally Rad Guitars and I really enjoy those vids. But if Im going to spend a lot of time on youtube I'm going to have someone like Tom Quayle, Ben Eller or Troy Grady etc showing me something to help me play better.

I dislike most of the youtubers. They are all being paid and never say anything negative. That right there invalidates their “opinions” . I want real gear reviews where if it sucks, say it sucks.

Johan is always interesting.
Just got done watching your Standout/Dragon/JMP vid.

@ClintN667

If you did sweet edge of breakup playing this guy fits your description.

Yeah I really like those kind of vids. I also like the gear demos where someone takes the time to turn some dials and show you how to dial in the amp. Let us see the good and the not so good. Again this is where you see the guys who are actual musicians vs bedroom rockstars(I am in the bedroom group myself) in that they will show you the amp by turning some dials and trying different boost, different guitars. This is also something that the guys just making a commercial don't do.

I want to feel like I'm learning something. Not watching a commercial for 20 minutes. Since I started looking at demos as commercials it's really changed my viewing. I used to spend way too much time watching paid demos.

Good player and a lovely chap but IMO he dials in some weak ass high gain tones. Maybe it’s his recording technique? :dunno:
He is not really a metal guy, so I wouldnt look to him for modern metal tones. I really like his videos on effects, setup, and mimicing older sounds, etc....

I have a huge crush on Wes Hauch. Homeboy has sick skills.
He drunkenly(in his underwear) attacked me in a kitchen at a bros wedding as I was making a sandwich.
Absolutely true story. There is video filmed by our bro out there somewhere.
One of my favorite memories from the past 15 years. Proud of how far he has come since then.

Back