Some history of Rig-Talk

311splawndude

Someone here asked the other day if Rig-Talk was more busy back in the day compared to now. I think the general consensus was that it was about the same. Less users then but very active. I didn't get here until around 2010 when I decided to try to take guitar seriously. I couldn't find the post or thread in question but I decided to use The Wayback Machine to see if I could put a little context to it. For all the OG dudes, you will remember when Brad King owned and ran this place. Seems like forever ago but then how did time go so fast :LOL:

sgJk0lh.jpg

vYaxt99.jpg

iFaI4b7.jpg

One of the easiest ways to use this tool, if you have not already, is to use the graphical bar at the top and slide it around to different time frames. I believe most of the archiving is random. Maybe someone else knows more.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071014102455/http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/

Of course you can always go to the bottom of the forum at any time and click on the last page and it will take you to Day 1 2006 :dunno:

It was me that asked . It’s seems very populated now . Just wondered . What’s been some of the biggest threads
The Cameron shit show and the Larry thread comes to mind. Also the surreal amps one was like watching a car crash in slow motion. The fatbagg parallel threads where everyone who got trade raped by him figured it out. It felt like watching the end of the usual suspects for the first time when I read that. There were a lot of entertaining ones. Of course all the insanely niche gear knowledge and comparisons that really can be found by an insanely small percentage of the population. Plus everyone has a pretty solid sense of humor. There is rarely a thread where I don’t 1) learn something, 2) laugh, 3) or am amazed at seeing something. So I’m stuck here with you fuckers.

The Cameron shit show and the Larry thread comes to mind. Also the surreal amps one was like watching a car crash in slow motion. The fatbagg parallel threads where everyone who got trade raped by him figured it out. It felt like watching the end of the usual suspects for the first time when I read that. There were a lot of entertaining ones. Of course all the insanely niche gear knowledge and comparisons that really can be found by an insanely small percentage of the population. Plus everyone has a pretty solid sense of humor. There is rarely a thread where I don’t 1) learn something, 2) laugh, 3) or am amazed at seeing something. So I’m stuck here with you fuckers.
It is a great place to learn , laugh , and fuck lol I mean and have fun

I have been on here since it started up but it always felt to me like it was busier then and there was more activity. Now it seems like there is a few new threads a day. Seemed like more then but maybe that is just nostalgia talking

Seemed like more then but maybe that is just nostalgia talking
I don't have quantitative data on this but there's something to be said for the fact that the novelty of forums back then would've made it seem like there was more juicy stuff going on and therefore "more meat" / activity.

I mean, after decades of scrolling through and reading forums it becomes old-hat and the juicy bits therefore seem fewer and farther-between.

As I suggested, I'm not offering an answer; just highliting a possible contributing factor. :dunno:

Which one? There's been several.

Lots of you have only joined recently....there's some EPIC threads, shitshows....If I were a recent member, like last 4 yrs, these would be the most fun...
Billy Blades
StoneTone guy
Any number of Cameron, Brad King, Friedman(only because he unfortunately joined up with BK and Cameron)
King Crimson guy....Mr MyGrandpaWroteGallowsPoleSo Zeppelin OwesMeMoney!!!
Dude who invited everyone who disagrees with him to fight him on his local Golf Course....He's still here but can't remember his name, of course he denies it lol
Mr Ronnie Champagne who engineered Facelift, telling us that it was a boosted 64 Bassman for those chewy dark AIC tones, instead of guys hopelessly chasing the Snorkler, which was only used for leads and some cleans Lol

These are some of the few fun ridiculous and LONG threads of yesteryear...Oh, how could I forget ANY thread with Charvel Dan...lol

Who owns it now ? Pardon my lack of research .

Admin’s username on the forum is nero. From what I remember being told when he bought it, he’s from France. He’s the single owner of the forum and proudly the only single person that hasn’t caved to selling it to the monopoly owner that owns every other major guitar forum. That’s right, one entity owns thegearpage, sevenstring, etc. as the owners all sold out. That’s why they’re so strict and all have the same rules now. RigTalk is the only forum where he hasn’t sold it out.

In the beginning it was more amp and guitar related. Just people bringing knowledge. There was also an entire NSFW forum...lol! The split from HCAF was nasty at the time. I do miss Bob Savage and Kage. Those guys were very cool.

Man, I knew Bob Savage from Jemsite going back to the 90’s, that’s a name I haven’t heard in a while.

Wasn’t there a good Vertex thread here when all that shit was going down at TGP, as well?

Back