Some history of Rig-Talk

I was part of the Harmony Central mass migration when it turned into a full-on daycare. I'm not even kidding, it was painful looking for anyone who would talk about guitars or amps or anything else. The posts would be stuff like "Jellybean Palaces and Wheelchairs" and just total non-musical shitshow.

I have been here since 2007. I was at HC since probably 99' and it got bonkers over there.

Don’t forget the foot fetish guy with “Uber close mic’d tones” who took his ball and went home. He was a decent player and a good resource imo…just didn’t work out here. He requested all of his posts be removed. Probably a smart move considering.

That guy could light up a thread better than Prometheus.

:ROFLMAO:

41qVgOu.jpg

"I could be your friend"

Last edited:
I think I joined around the HCAF demise. There has been some epic threads for sure. Many more good info threads than shitshows. I use the search function here and YouTube videos as my first source of information on any gear I am interested in. Wealth of information.

Yep, the forum was started Thump, Bob, myself and a guy named Mitch (he was the IT guy) I believe in 2006. It was started because Harmony Central Amp Forum became a shit show, with idiots and over censoring. About a year or so after the forums beginning, Mitch went off the deep end and started deleting everyone and everything, which is why a lot of the OG's like myself have a join date later than the actual forum's start date. A year or two after that, Brad King stepped in and bought the place. Then, another shit show:p. Shortly after that I stopped coming here because I had some things happen in my personal life (bad injury, etc). Now I pretty much just lurk:cool:
This is just internet bullshit 😉

I think I joined around the HCAF demise. There has been some epic threads for sure. Many more good info threads than shitshows. I use the search function here and YouTube videos as my first source of information on any gear I am interested in. Wealth of information.
Yep and Rig-Talk usually pops up at the top if you search something on Google. Except maybe Telecaster or Two Rock.

You wouldn't happen to have the link the thread with pictures of Blades' "triple-soldering" technique I heard about? I imagine the gore is hilarious.

I believe these were the ones in question? Bottom left of the amp you can see Billy Blades Fireball. Should have been called Firehazard. This was his first one made IIRC and it says Serial #1. This was for "DirtySteve". This was his first amp prior to the cup holders, but made after his extreme claims back when he was just modding existing amps. IIRC.

You can see the impeccable soldering and attention to safety regarding his wiring below.

jIxHXv0.jpg

603AKfb.jpg

tvOvjXq.jpg

4nDvNcj.jpg

I was part of the Harmony Central mass migration when it turned into a full-on daycare. I'm not even kidding, it was painful looking for anyone who would talk about guitars or amps or anything else. The posts would be stuff like "Jellybean Palaces and Wheelchairs" and just total non-musical shitshow.
YES! I remember that now that you mention it.

Here's a thread about 'the thread' where Ronnie C talks about Facelift and what was used...you'll see that the original thread was deleted for some reason...but excerpts are in this one...
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/i-recreated-the-studio-rig-of-classic-alice-in-chains.186217/

Have a really hard time buying the argument that it’s a boosted bassman. Said originally the boosted bassman was used for mellower tones which is reasonable. Those aggressive ass riff tones from Facelift are distinctly marshall. Would Jerry repeatedly try to buy an amp that was barely used in the album? The other albums that amp was used on kind of prove the point here too.

But regardless, chasing album tones is a fools errand. Boosted marshall gets closest to pretty much all my favorite album tones.

Been messing with double boosting lately for even more modern type sounds- so killer. Marshall4lyfe

I mostly lurk these days, but I remember the days of Carl, the other ultimate sh*t disturber. He went through so many account names after constantly getting banned it became hard to track who he was after a while. Not sure if he was Crimson or not, but same ballpark! Lol. That Pacino clip Stephen posted was the ultimate troll link, made me laugh every time! :ROFLMAO:

I mostly lurk these days, but I remember the days of Carl, the other ultimate sh*t disturber. He went through so many account names after constantly getting banned it became hard to track who he was after a while. Not sure if he was Crimson or not, but same ballpark! Lol. That Pacino clip Stephen posted was the ultimate troll link, made me laugh every time! :ROFLMAO:
Hey! I wasn't King Crimson, who I vaguely remember. Those were the Wild West days for sure. Me and Mike V absolutely went after John Ou!!
Nowdays, if I see something, I contribute, otherwise stay clear from any shit-storms.

Have a really hard time buying the argument that it’s a boosted bassman. Said originally the boosted bassman was used for mellower tones which is reasonable. Those aggressive ass riff tones from Facelift are distinctly marshall. Would Jerry repeatedly try to buy an amp that was barely used in the album? The other albums that amp was used on kind of prove the point here too.

But regardless, chasing album tones is a fools errand. Boosted marshall gets closest to pretty much all my favorite album tones.

Been messing with double boosting lately for even more modern type sounds- so killer. Marshall4lyfe
I build "teh Snorkler" preamp with help from a couple of bros here on the site..

It's cool, but not the core tone I was looking for.

Kind of nasally sounding.

Back