Soon to be new Les Paul owner question.

Fret-Shredder

Hey Les Paul guys. I'm finally getting my first Gibson. 60s profile Les Paul Standard Unburst. The guitar is going to come with 10-46 strings in Standard tuning. I like tuning a half step down. Is that going to cause an intonation issue? Should I be able to go back and forth from Standard tuning to a half step down without having to intonate? Sorry for my ignorance but all my other guitars are Floyed based and this is my first fixed bridge. Thanks.

De-tune the crap out of that Lester.
This guy's made it work for decades.

tool.jpg

Hey Les Paul guys. I'm finally getting my first Gibson. 60s profile Les Paul Standard Unburst. The guitar is going to come with 10-46 strings in Standard tuning. I like tuning a half step down. Is that going to cause an intonation issue? Should I be able to go back and forth from Standard tuning to a half step down without having to intonate? Sorry for my ignorance but all my other guitars are Floyed based and this is my first fixed bridge. Thanks.
Also don't forget that the LP is a smaller scale than what you are used to, so standard tuning should be a bit easier to play.

Also don't forget that the LP is a smaller scale than what you are used to, so standard tuning should be a bit easier to play.
I use 9-42 on all my other guitars. This is going to be my first 10s guitar so I figured being Im tuning down a half step it will make the 10s strings easier to bend.

No issues at all. I’ve been doing it for years. 10s on a LP 1/2 step down is slinky goodness :rock:
Sweetwater will be sending the guitar factory set up by Gibson in Standard tuning. So I won't have to do anything to it other than tune it down a half step and I'll be good to go?

Sweetwater will be sending the guitar factory set up by Gibson in Standard tuning. So I won't have to do anything to it other than tune it down a half step and I'll be good to go?
I have never received any guitar from Sweetwater that had the intonation correct, never even close.

I use 9-42 on all my other guitars. This is going to be my first 10s guitar so I figured being Im tuning down a half step it will make the 10s strings easier to bend.

Like someone said earlier, try the 10s at normal tuning first for a couple days. The shorter scale is quite a bit
less tension. For the longest time I used 9-42 on Strat scale stuff and then 10-46 on LP.
All standard tuning.

The Strandberg that uses the fanned scale is the best of both worlds.
Les Paul on the high E slanting down to a Strat on the low E. I use 10s
on this with standard tuning.

plini.jpg

Last edited:
With .009 gage ,you'll be a bending mo fo :thumbsup:
I dont think he tunes down a half step but doesn't The Rev Billy G use .008 gage?

I don't think he tunes down a half step but doesn't The Rev Billy G use .008 gauge?

Yup. Or at least he did during the MTV days when hid did lots of interviews.

A lot of guys playing country swear by .008s with pretty low action.
Let's them get the spank all over the neck easily.

Last edited:
I would play with a string tension calculator. If you have a set of strings that you like on a 25.5 scale, it is easy enough to note the tension and then find the needed gauge for a 24.75 LP
But yes, I think 10 set would work well for Eb standard. Note that the standard set will have a tight A string and a floppy E string, so I use that calculator to guide a custom balanced set from Stringjoy

Powerchords with distortion and 9's sounds tighter than using 10's for some reason.

It's the single notes on the higher strings that sound a bit thinner.

Back