Speakers To Help The Mids On An SLO100

mids on 10 and v30s and its not cutting through?? yikes.
Can you understand why? The upper mids that are being emphasized are the brighter, harsher frequencies, add to that a 16 ohm v30 cab with a thin grill cloth. All of those items will add to the high end frequencies being brighter and fizzier over something like an early 2000's Mesa OS.

Pre-2005 Mesa OS 4x12 with T4335 (no “B”) original spec V30’s will do it marvelously.

Also get some real Russian military 6P3S-E power tubes with the stapled “tab-in-slot” contructed plates to replace the inferior Sovtek versions for fatter/better power amp saturated tones.
There`s nothing inferior about Sovtek 5881 wxt

This.
I'm not the biggest v30 fan either, but yeah it sounds like the cab is the issue. Does your SLO have a loop? Throw an EQ in there?
Going the EQ route next practice. Mine is one of the newer BAD versions. Thinking this could make a nice difference, but I agree. I think the cab is the main issue.

Can you understand why? The upper mids that are being emphasized are the brighter, harsher frequencies, add to that a 16 ohm v30 cab with a thin grill cloth. All of those items will add to the high end frequencies being brighter and fizzier over something like an early 2000's Mesa OS.

Exactly. 8 ohm Mesa V30's are just superior, combined with the parallel-series wiring and oversize cab volume should get one back into a place of ease/satisfaction to focus on playing the rig rather than fighting with the rig.

I wonder if the original Soldano cabs had the OG formula 16 ohm Celestion V30's that are now Mesa's T4416, like Steve Fryette talked about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going the EQ route next practice. Mine is one of the newer BAD versions. Thinking this could make a nice difference, but I agree. I think the cab is the main issue.
Here's a photo of the modern Sovtek production vs the original Soviet military construction. Base is irrelevant, note the color and tig weld vs. tab-in-slot on the plates. They are different and sound different. The 6P3S-E is to the the SLO what the Sylvania 6L6 is to the block letter 5150:

fullsizeoutput_9de.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The T75 would only enhance what I'm not liking, as it's a notoriously scooped and top end fizzy speaker. With the mid know all the way up and highs and presence dialed back, not much room to go for "using the knobs"

Also not trying to be a jerk, but you didn't even ask my settings before throwing that out there, so how would you know I'm not using the knobs?
Not to be another jerk either, but T75's do sound a bit scooped for sure, but top end fizziness is typically only present with those at lower volumes. Cranked, they're a different animal.. But, I'm sure you knew that..

Greenbacks FTW.

One thing you could try, is modding the Marshall Vintage cab like a Bogner and put some insulation/batting on the back panel. When I've done that the response becomes tighter, and it focuses the sound more. Gets a little quieter though.

Here's a photo of the modern Sovtek production vs the original Soviet military construction. Base is irrelevant, note the color and tig weld vs. tab-in-slot on the plates. They are different and sound different. the 6P3S-E is the the SLO what the Sylvania 6L6 is to the block letter 5150:

View attachment 91065
I grabbed 2 quads of these and in my Triple they did make the tone a little more '3D' if you will. I don't know how much a difference they'd make in an SLO but might be worth a shot...they are cheap also.

Not to be another jerk either, but T75's do sound a bit scooped for sure, but top end fizziness is typically only present with those at lower volumes. Cranked, they're a different animal.. But, I'm sure you knew that..

Greenbacks FTW.
Yes but which T75's and which Greenbacks? Seems 90's and earlier is the timeframe of most glory for Celestion offerings, much like old-growth tone woods are to guitars. Takes a lot of digging to find the gold! I mean, the T75's Dave Navarro used on the Jane's Addiction records are most likely REALY different than ones made today, right?

One thing you could try, is modding the Marshall Vintage cab like a Bogner and put some insulation/batting on the back panel. When I've done that the response becomes tighter, and it focuses the sound more. Gets a little quieter though.
It does help with midrange clarity and musicality, especially when front loading Celestions, in my experience. Using Marshall Sound Runner 10 ga. 238 strand OFC wire instead of the cheap switch and puny wire on 1960's does too: more lows/low mids/"open" sounding. That's what Bogner puts in his cabs. It's kind of ridiculous when you look at it, but it DOES sound better.

This whole speculation on this subject is based on a band situation, different this and that gets thrown out the window alot times. Hell it could be the room

I grabbed 2 quads of these and in my Triple they did make the tone a little more '3D' if you will. I don't know how much a difference they'd make in an SLO but might be worth a shot...they are cheap also.
Another brother sees the light! <3

This is a great thread. Lots of heart and concern for a bro getting in the tone zone. Love it, OG Rig-Talk spirit ftw.

Honestly I would try eminence legends , I have a older soldano FL 4x12 that’s what they used stock in their cabs for awhile , should help round out the mids and take some of the fizz off the top .

Back