Speakers To Help The Mids On An SLO100

This. All Sovtek tubes is a recipe for ice-pick fizz city. Never quite understood the NASA spec tolerances for all components save post-Gorbachev garbage glass.

Kind of like NS10's in the studio without a Bryston or proper amp. Harshness deluxe; tone that is terrible.
Depending on when it was built, Russian or Slovakian may be the only choices for production. I like my Tungsols in V1, but JJ's in 2 & 3 usually give it some warmth, and smooth some of that harshness. Some NOS USA 5751's in V2 can add some clarity and tame some raspiness, but cuts the gain a tad, (which is a good thing in most cases).

Depending on when it was built, Russian or Slovakian may be the only choices for production. I like my Tungsols in V1, but JJ's in 2 & 3 usually give it some warmth, and smooth some of that harshness. Some NOS USA 5751's in V2 can add some clarity and tame some raspiness, but cuts the gain a tad, (which is a good thing in most cases).

Word. I'm a total 50's Mullard long plate snob. Have to have them everywhere, except my little Orange.

They'd probably completely transform an SLO that likes to live on Sovtek LPS's. Like, why not spend a few hundo on an amp that expensive?

I would, in a heartbeat.

Word. I'm a total 50's Mullard long plate snob. Have to have them everywhere, except my little Orange.

They'd probably completely transform an SLO that likes to live on Sovtek LPS's. Like, why not spend a few hundo on an amp that expensive?

I would, in a heartbeat.
Absolutely. I experiment with every amp I've touched. Good tubes wake up good amps too, not just so-so ones. Some respond very well. But, I always start with the preamp. Average tubes are typically going to hold the amp back, even spoil their potential. I'm guessing even $4000 amps can come with clunkers in it.

I would, in a heartbeat.
Yeah, not sure how it would be in the later SLO's, but in my '89 SLO the best sounding pre's in in have been those Mullard's you mentioned and also the JAN Philips ECG's (best overall American 12AX7's imo and also the best ones for my Rev D Recto). I think for what the OP is going for the Philips would be a little better in this case, but both are great in it. Of all my amps my '89 SLO is one of the most responsive to pre-tube changes. If the OP was playing more leads, single note type riffs, or wanted something more midrange-y and in a Marshall-y direction, I'd say go with the Mullard's (Telefunken ribbed plated also very good)

In general, the Mullard's tend to be my favorites in my EL34 type amps and JAN Philips ECG's for my 6L6 amps, but some exceptions here and there. The C+ and Badlander were imo hands down best with Siemens ECC83's, Naylor seemed to be just perfect with Bugle Boy's, Fender's seem to really like GE's

Last edited:
Yeah, not sure how it would be in the later SLO's, but in my '89 SLO the best sounding pre's in in have been those Mullard's you mentioned and also the JAN Philips ECG's (best overall American 12AX7's imo and also the best ones for my Rev D Recto). I think for what the OP is going for the Philips would be a little better in this case, but both are great in it. Of all my amps my '89 SLO is one of the most responsive to pre-tube changes. If the OP was playing more leads, single note type riffs, or wanted something more midrange-y and in a Marshall-y direction, I'd say go with the Mullard's (Telefunken ribbed plated also very good)

In general, the Mullard's tend to be my favorites in my EL34 type amps and JAN Philips ECG's for my 6L6 amps, but some exceptions here and there. The C+ and Badlander were imo hands down best with Siemens ECC83's, Naylor seemed to be just perfect with Bugle Boy's, Fender's seem to really like GE's
A man with a Gjika 10n? Yeah, Bob and I are eye to eye on tubes: Mullard f91/92's (no MC1's) and JJ KT77s.

I agree with your assessment. Homie just needs a good cab and some good glass and he'll be good to go. Maybe some JJ KT66 or Sylvania 6L6GC's in the power section, or some early Sovtek rebranded real Russian military 6P3S-E + higher bias to help with the icepick.

I suspect the OG Soldano cabs with the Eminence that everyone seem to hate may have been a cope for the low low low bias and the cheap Russian glass everywhere. Given the other guy has a Rec and OS 4x12 with the mellow 8 ohm T4335's, a trad size cab with 16 ohm speakers that have a tad more edge, tight bottom and more top presence should be a good match. 16 ohm speakers are a bit more explosive in my experience, anyway.

Experiment!

People saying eminence are on the right track.

If you want a modern low tune capable eminence speaker that doesn’t sound like a wet paper bag and actually sounds like a celestion speaker, you want a cab loaded with splawn small blocks.

Absolutely the most crushingly loud and low end capable speaker combination I ever ran with my 5150 II.

I do plan on getting a third 4x12 cabinet like I had before with them in it. I ran an X pattern of V30s and Splawn small blocks and it was lethal.

This was with no boost in front of the 5150 II:

A man with a Gjika 10n? Yeah, Bob and I are eye to eye on tubes: Mullard f91/92's (no MC1's) and JJ KT77s.

I agree with your assessment. Homie just needs a good cab and some good glass and he'll be good to go. Maybe some JJ KT66 or Sylvania 6L6GC's in the power section, or some early Sovtek rebranded real Russian military 6P3S-E + higher bias to help with the icepick.

I suspect the OG Soldano cabs with the Eminence that everyone seem to hate may have been a cope for the low low low bias and the cheap Russian glass everywhere. Given the other guy has a Rec and OS 4x12 with the mellow 8 ohm T4335's, a trad size cab with 16 ohm speakers that have a tad more edge, tight bottom and more top presence should be a good match. 16 ohm speakers are a bit more explosive in my experience, anyway.

Experiment!
Yeah with my Gjika the Mullard pre's were head and shoulders above the rest in it. Tubes are kinda the one thing I saved for last with rabbit holes (did the others with speakers, amps, pickups, etc), but whenever I get into it I go deep and so lately it's just been for me exploring all the various pre's in all my amps, just started doing rectifier tube swaps (in my amps that have them), and just started with the EL84's and 6V6's. Gonna save the bigger bottle tubes for after haha, so I can't have input on that yet, but I do like the Sylvania 6L6's in my Boogie's. I find it fascinating that in general if you compare the same brand tubes across different types (like for example GE vs RCA for both 12AX7's, 6SL7's, 6V6's or 5Y3's) they all compare the same way. The GE's all have their specific voicing in all their tube types as do RCA, Sylvania, Mullard, etc do for theirs, but how their voicings actually translate to various tube types in the various amps you never really know until trying

With speakers, I think the suggestions made about GB's or similar-ish higher powered ones like vented 75's or 65's would be good. There are other speakers that will take the SLO (or other amps) up a level or 2 from those, but would be looking at $400-700 per speaker. I should see if my SLO likes Gold's. Those are one of the only non-vintage speakers I've been impressed by

To the OP, if the speakers, tubes, cab or settings (presence dimed (must do on SLO's), lower treble to compensate) still don't get you where you need to be, then probably better to just try a different amp. My '89 SLO is one my favorite amps, but there are still plenty of things I just wouldn't use it for

In other amps those pre's can be pretty good, but in my '89 SLO they were awful (ruined the amp), but it's a very sensitive amp to pre's. My tech replaced the Chinese 6N4's my SLO came with for those JJ's and was wondering why the amp sounded so much worse, but put the stock 6N4's back in and there was the great sound again, but have moved on to much better pre's for it since then. I put those JJ's in other amps I have instead. The vintage USA Tung-Sol 12AX7's actually sounded quite good in it (maybe just a little tubby sometimes), but they sound nothing like the current made ones

Yeah with my Gjika the Mullard pre's were head and shoulders above the rest in it. Tubes are kinda the one thing I saved for last with rabbit holes (did the others with speakers, amps, pickups, etc), but whenever I get into it I go deep and so lately it's just been for me exploring all the various pre's in all my amps, just started doing rectifier tube swaps (in my amps that have them), and just started with the EL84's and 6V6's. Gonna save the bigger bottle tubes for after haha, so I can't have input on that yet, but I do like the Sylvania 6L6's in my Boogie's. I find it fascinating that in general if you compare the same brand tubes across different types (like for example GE vs RCA for both 12AX7's, 6SL7's, 6V6's or 5Y3's) they all compare the same way. The GE's all have their specific voicing in all their tube types as do RCA, Sylvania, Mullard, etc do for theirs, but how their voicings actually translate to various tube types in the various amps you never really know until trying

This has been my experience as well. The New Sensor voice is simply not for me. JJ? Pres work in some amps, not all. Power tubes? I love them, most especially the KT77. I can't wait to get some real GEC/Marconi's like both Bobs have. They must be Godly.

Too bad we don't all live in the same city as I suspect you and I could hang with OP and do some tube swaps for him at practice and he'd have this situation buttoned up, with a shopping list to boot.

What power tubes have you used in your SLO and what was your impression of them?

This has been my experience as well. The New Sensor voice is simply not for me. JJ? Pres work in some amps, not all. Power tubes? I love them, most especially the KT77. I can't wait to get some real GEC/Marconi's like both Bobs have. They must be Godly.

Too bad we don't all live in the same city as I suspect you and I could hang with OP and do some tube swaps for him at practice and he'd have this situation buttoned up, with a shopping list to boot.

What power tubes have you used in your SLO and what was your impression of them?
I've heard of GEC/Marconi (came across them in my Ebay searches), but know nothing about them. I'm not that experienced yet with the bigger bottle power tube swaps, but I like the JJ E34L's a lot in my Rev D Rectifier. I honestly haven't liked much the JJ KT77's or KT77's in general. It's the only thing I've had in my Gjika so far and obviously sounds great with them, but I had them in also my Rev D Recto and Rev 1 Uberschall and much preferred EL34's in them. The KT77's seemed to have good punch, tightness, and clarity, but the Uber especially just became so much more alive with the JJ EL34's I have in it now. It got a lot more growly, warm, fat and complex sounding imo, but who knows maybe the Gjika is just right with them. I've not experimented much with these tube types yet. No strong opinions yet

My SLO originally came with Sovtek 5881's, but the amp needed servicing from my tech (it kept blowing fuses, but totally fine now) and so those power tubes were changed and didn't check if they were the old or new version Sovtek's (I didn't know anything about these tubes at the time). He put since JJ 6L6GC's. They're not bad from what I can tell (I've also had them in my IIC+ HRG), but it sounded a lot better with whatever version Sovtek 5881's were in it before. I'm gonna have to try the old version Sovtek's in it (very possible that's what was in it before). Only tried those 2 in it so far, but I have a list of 6L6's I wanna try when I finally get there lol (I have a process). FWIW also, at the risk of being called a nut-hugger or cork sniffer I didn't like any of the 2000's SLO's I've had or tried anywhere near as much as the '89 I have. Haven't tried the new BAD version SLO, but not that curious honestly. Unfortunately too many amps out there where the early versions just sounded so much better (like the Blueface, Uberschall's, Recto's, C+). Thankfully it seems like Wizard is among the few that's the opposite in that way (actually got better with revisions)

Last edited:
It's the amp choice.
You're a Dual Rec guy?
There you go, a run of the mill 3 channel
gitter-done.
Blink 182 to The Germs, oh it'll do it, LOUD, ROUND & PUNCHY, no denying it.

Can you understand why? The upper mids that are being emphasized are the brighter, harsher frequencies, add to that a 16 ohm v30 cab with a thin grill cloth. All of those items will add to the high end frequencies being brighter and fizzier over something like an early 2000's Mesa OS.

you said in your original post you were disappointed at the lack of cut, usually guys complaining about lack of cut need more of those harsh mids and high end to cut through, i dont know what ohm v30s are in any of the cabs ive played through but i cant imagine a 100w amp with the mids on 10 and a 4x12 not cutting through a mix, whether it sounds good doing it is a different story

I think there is something wrong with that cab he was playing through, no way is a SLO and v30 marshall cab gonna sound bad

I've heard of GEC/Marconi (came across them in my Ebay searches), but know nothing about them. I'm not that experienced yet with the bigger bottle power tube swaps, but I like the JJ E34L's a lot in my Rev D Rectifier. I honestly haven't liked much the JJ KT77's or KT77's in general. It's the only thing I've had in my Gjika so far and obviously sounds great with them, but I had them in also my Rev D Recto and Rev 1 Uberschall and much preferred EL34's in them. The KT77's seemed to have good punch, tightness, and clarity, but the Uber especially just became so much more alive with the JJ EL34's I have in it now. It got a lot more growly, warm, fat and complex sounding imo, but who knows maybe the Gjika is just right with them. I've not experimented much with these tube types yet. No strong opinions yet

My SLO originally came with Sovtek 5881's, but the amp needed servicing from my tech (it kept blowing fuses, but totally fine now) and so those power tubes were changed and didn't check if they were the old or new version Sovtek's (I didn't know anything about these tubes at the time). He put since JJ 6L6GC's. They're not bad from what I can tell (I've also had them in my IIC+ HRG), but it sounded a lot better with whatever version Sovtek 5881's were in it before. I'm gonna have to try the old version Sovtek's in it (very possible that's what was in it before). Only tried those 2 in it so far, but I have a list of 6L6's I wanna try when I finally get there lol (I have a process). FWIW also, at the risk of being called a nut-hugger or cork sniffer I didn't like any of the 2000's SLO's I've had or tried anywhere near as much as the '89 I have. Haven't tried the new BAD version SLO, but not that curious honestly. Unfortunately too many amps out there where the early versions just sounded so much better (like the Blueface, Uberschall's, Recto's, C+). Thankfully it seems like Wizard is among the few that's the opposite in that way (actually got better with revisions)
When I had my 2nd SLO, I was more into tube swapping and just assumed the USA Sylvania 6L6 would kill in it just like my C+s....nope. Same goes for the Winged Cs...those stock 5881s were far and away the best power tube choice for the SLO. Very noticeable. Pre tubes mine seemed to like the Chinese 8th gen I had pulled from a Rivera TBR 1SL. My stash at that time was just being built up lol, so I didn't have the collection of pre tubes I have now.
Any and every vintage amp I"ve owned has always benefitted from tube rolling.

I think there is something wrong with that cab he was playing through, no way is a SLO and v30 marshall cab gonna sound bad
In my opinion V30s and SLOs, Marshalls ALWAYS sounds bad...mids on top of mids. Ugh. Only a Jubilee sounds good with a V30 to my ears, when it comes down to those 2 amps.

In my opinion V30s and SLOs, Marshalls ALWAYS sounds bad...mids on top of mids. Ugh. Only a Jubilee sounds good with a V30 to my ears, when it comes down to those 2 amps.
I don't know. Robin Trower used V-30-loaded Marshall cabs for decades w/ various Marshall heads. Always sounded great.

I got a BAD SLO 100 w/ the Soldano 4x12. It's a rear-loaded cab now w/ V-30's and it's killer.

I have a few 1960AV cabs and I love them with all the amps I have here. 2204; 5150; Tremoverb; Mark; AC30; etc. Cab definitely is not dark but is very crunchy and has a nice bark.

Back