Splawn 412 Cabs...tell me about them

PurityS.L.G

I've heard nothing but amazing things about the 412 cabs, no matter what speaker is loaded in them. So...now that I have a Nitro again in the stable, I want a matching cab now.

We all know Splawn is hot rodded Marshall amps but what other brand cabs do they compare to? What are their prominent charachteristics?

These are the 4x12's I currently own. Only listing to see if its worth chasing a Splawn cab if I already have my bases covered.

84 Marshall JCM800 cab w/ OG T75's
Mesa OS
ENGL Pro Standard
Framus Dragon
Bogner Uberkab FL

I have a Nitro and have a Splawn 412 that I had loaded with 4 Vintage 30 speakers.. it sounded HUGE. They're very very well and sturdy made cabinets. Here's a video i did with it a while back:

I even have a vertical wide 212 Splawn cabinet and it also sounds huge for a 212 cabinet. not as deep or full sounding as the 412 but still plenty tight an full sounding.

I have recently sold all the Vintage 30s in my 412 in anticipation and hopes to try out some more WGS speakers in there for a different flavour of sound.

Cheers

I've got two. One is a newer-ish slant with Creamback/V30 mix, and the other one is an older straight cab that originally had Eminence MOW/Governor mix in it. The older MOW/Gov cab was listed as 16 ohm on the back, but was loaded with 8 ohm speakers. Looked like a possible factory mess up too, as the work order writing on the bottom of the cab said 16 ohm MOW/Gov. I guess someone, at some point could have changed the 16 ohm setup for an 8 ohm setup but seems kind of counter productive to replace the original speakers with the same thing minus the ohm change. Anyway... Long story short, I converted that cab to 16ohm 25w Greenbacks.

Both cabs are extremely heavy and well built. No complaints from me. The slant with CB/V30 is a bit brighter than the straight GB loaded cab, but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Just different flavors. When I first got my QR I played it through a Mesa OS with V30's and didn't like it, sounded really dull like a blanket was thrown over it. I was recently playing my KT88 Nitro through the CB/V30 cab and it sounded pretty darn good to my ear. I would say, just play it with what you already have and let your ears tell you the story. But, if you're interested in snagging a Splawn cab, keep your eye on the GC used site. They pop up on there from time to time, and sometimes pretty reasonably priced.

Very big sounding and a lot of low end thump. The 3/4" birch ply makes it heavy but supplies
big, tight lows. I sold my Bogner classic 4x12 when I got my Splawn amp and bought a new Splawn straight cab with no regrets. I have their 2x12 also, which sounds killer, but the 4x12 is always king. I also have a Marshall 4x12 that is brighter and not built as well. The Marshall has the OG GT1275s and the Splawn 4x12 has the Small Blocks. The 2x12 had Small Blocks but now has Weber Legacies.

I have 2 4x12 straight cab, and I absolutely love them. They were loaded with Vintage 30’s but I swapped them out for GT75 Celestions And I couldn’t be happier with them.

They’re built like a TANK, Scott really makes amazing products.

Attachments

• 9B52648A-1062-4525-B91A-83588A53A35C.jpeg
    9B52648A-1062-4525-B91A-83588A53A35C.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 71
Back