Stone Temple Pilots: The Robert DeLeo Interview

Most of his basslines are tbh

Until I had to learn it to fill in on bass for a cover gig, I never really noticed how busy and epic the bassline for interstate love song is. So fun to play
Highly under-rated player imo. Bass players I’ve played with used to say the STP songs were the hardest.

I haven’t watched the interview but if I recall he also comes up with some of those killer chords Dean plays.

First album is killer....Dead and Bloated is a monster. They are about as far from PJ as you can get in the grunge days. STP were much heavier.
And STP has much more than 2 good songs :ROFLMAO: How the heck does PJ have their own radio station. They never returned to the sound that made them famous.

i thought half those songs off the first album which get compared to pearl jam were written and being performed before pearl jam even started

If you love the DeLeo brothers I highly suggest the Army of Anyone album/band with Richard Patrick and Ray Luzier. Easily one of my favorite albums and Luzier puts on a master class on the kit.

Also for a more STP vibe, check out Talk Show. Sadly this album/band by the DeLeo brothers with Erik Kretz and Dave Coutts on vocals was a miss with STP fans. Frankly IMO most STP fans immediately dumped on the album/band without giving it a chance because it wasn't Scott on vocals but it's all there. In fact a few of those tunes are hands down some of my favorite stuff they've ever done. It's basically STP without Scott.

As with Army of Anyone I wished they had continued with Talk Show. I love STP but at times they go in a direction I don't care for and more often than not it's because of Scott.

Last edited:
If you love the DeLeo brothers I highly suggest the Army of Anyone album/band with Richard Patrick and Ray Luzier. Easily one of my favorite albums and Luzier puts on a master class on the kit.

Also for a more STP vibe, check out Talk Show. Sadly this album/band by the DeLeo brothers with Erek Kretz and Dave Coutts on vocals was a miss with STP fans. Frankly IMO most STP fans immediately dumped on the album/band without giving it a chance because it wasn't Scott on vocals but it's all there. In fact a few of those tunes are hands down some of my favorite stuff they've ever done. It's basically STP without Scott.

As with Army of Anyone I wished they had continued with Talk Show. I love STP but at times they go in a direction I don't care for and more often than not it's because of Scott.
Talk show album is actually really good. That dude has a good voice.

First album is killer....Dead and Bloated is a monster. They are about as far from PJ as you can get in the grunge days. STP were much heavier.
STP rocked very hard. Saw them a few times, and they were great. They had killer drumming, bass was epic, guitar fit perfect and weiland was a great singer. I remember hearing big bang baby on radio wondering who wrote this cool song and after the song they said it was STP. Totally changed their sound and pulled it. Heavy band. Superman silvergun, so fat!!! Listen to that song and then the new extreme song.

i've liked Beato's stuff in the past, and the STP interview makes me wanna watch more of his stuff.. miss that band

Also for a more STP vibe, check out Talk Show. Sadly this album/band by the DeLeo brothers with Erek Kretz and Dave Coutts on vocals was a miss with STP fans. Frankly IMO most STP fans immediately dumped on the album/band without giving it a chance because it wasn't Scott on vocals but it's all there. In fact a few of those tunes are hands down some of my favorite stuff they've ever done. It's basically STP without Scott.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Army of Anyone record! I only have a few listens of Talk Show so don't have a solid opinion of it.

Back